'First Edition' availability

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
They can put a limit in place if they like, then move on to Base + options. I assume they did a deal for minimum quantities with suppliers for the optional packs, so they needed to sell at least those. We don't know how the supplier pricing works after that, so the £3k per car discount for an FE may not be able to be continued after a certain number have been built.

They do need to be clear with people about whether there is a cap on numbers or a time limit, as up until a week ago people were being told they could get an FE based on time limit.

They did 400 Launch Editions for the Evora (fully loaded at a discount, like the FE) and then went to Base + options. It looks like FEs will be well over 1000.
Yes, agree on this. They haven’t been clear on FE numbers/dates at all. I certainly didn’t think the FE would still be available now, and quite disappointed.

Was hoping the First Edition would be a far more exclusive club than it is. Seems like you get a nice shiny badge and a few extra options for what they describe as rewarding there early and loyal customers.

Has kept me wondering if getting a base car and speccing it how I want is the better option as the FE is losing its appeal the longer time goes on the orders book stay open ……..

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Allocations are also about what. After the reveal in July, NA dealers were asked to pitch for numbers they wanted for 2022 for V6 FE and i4 FE (V6/i4 Base weren't expected to be delivered in 2022 so weren't asked about). They were also asked for an indication of manual/auto transmission split on the V6.

If i4 production had been delivering cars in 2022 (as originally planned) then the recent communication to dealers of their finalised 2022 allocation would have included a mix of V6 FE manual, V6 FE auto and i4 FE. It's now all V6 FEs so appears to people like just one big batch.

Unless your contract at deposit time makes specific reference to it (and no caveats via T&Cs), your deposit doesn't guarantee a specific model at a specific price delivered at a specific time. I know we're all now frustrated that it didn't, but for almost everyone that's the situation.

Even for the folks in the UK who have recently been asked to lock in their spec and have been given a target delivery month, they have no guarantee of a specific price or a specific delivery date. They have still only paid a deposit for a place in a queue, and won't enter into a binding contract until 30 days before delivery. Of course we all hope Lotus don't change the price, or delay or re-sequence the delivery order and I'm sure they're working hard not to. But contractually they can.
Not saying that I would act differently, but it would have been nice if these details were mentioned from the beginning. Instead the current discussion feels like legal cover for past ambiguities. Not saying that’s what it is…just how it feels.

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, the only actual physical difference between an FE and an optioned base model, is the FE badge on the sides, and the center console if you got the auto trans. So apart from those minor badges, the FE bundle is basically a price package. This is something Lotus would have to approve, to extend that offer through the end of March for their registered depositors that were outside of the group that fit within the 700 allocations for NA. It would be a limited offer, and would require designating these additional FE's as part of each dealer's allocation for next year.

This is basically what I'm proposing to Matt, however there could be the issue, again, of quantity. What if a dealer who normally gets allocated 5 cars a year, still has a backlog of 25 deposits? They could use up their entire next year's allocation just for this one model, and STILL have 20 unhappy customers. And this is just now with those who've made deposits. What's going to happen once the general public sees these? Is that same dealer now going to have 50 or more deposits for the i4FE? Or even more for base models? This in my opinion, is the big upcoming serious issue.

I personally think Lotus needs to make a significant push to add more dealerships. Not only for sales, but even more importantly for support. So what happens if they start shipping thousands of Emiras in the next 2 years to NA (they already have 3,000 deposits NOW), and they still only have the same 40 dealers, with the top 5 or 6 being the best? That doesn't even begin to cover the support that's going to be needed. That's going to be the next big hill to climb.
Certainly as production rises, allocations will rise as well to address the backlog? That would partially mitigate the backlog problem. Would do nothing about the service issue. Hopefully the car will be so well made that the service burden will be minimized. Might the Volvo dealer network be leveraged to help alleviate the strains?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
There is a programme already running to add more US dealers. I was asked not to share specifics, but many are coming. this year and next.
Yeah I believe 10 was the number reported somewhere for NA, but they're going to need more than that. I've lobbied for adding a location to Boise, Idaho, which is the state capital. Right now, there's a giant hole in the pacific northwest of the U.S. There's Park Place way up in Bellevue Washington, and Las Vegas. That's it. Nothing in eastern Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, or Utah. The red dots are Bellevue and Las Vegas. The green dot is Boise which is right in the middle. Boise would be at least something for those areas, but they really need one in Salt Lake City Utah and Reno Nevada.

Lotus Dealers.png

Last edited:

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Not saying that I would act differently, but it would have been nice if these details were mentioned from the beginning. Instead the current discussion feels like legal cover for past ambiguities. Not saying that’s what it is…just how it feels.
I agree. But a deposit is only a deposit. If the Emira had got only a lukewarm reaction none of this would have mattered. It’s coming up now because interest has been ten times what was expected. So several things are having to be re-thought on that basis. They could make things clearer now too.

DF_Toronto

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I agree. But a deposit is only a deposit. If the Emira had got only a lukewarm reaction none of this would have mattered. It’s coming up now because interest has been ten times what was expected. So several things are having to be re-thought on that basis. They could make things clearer now too.
I assume big plans are in place for all of this. The Emira with all it’s interest is just the springboard for their EV plans, mark my word they will be selling more 132s once it comes out than Emira’s (which will be higher in price at that time vs. Currently). In my mind the GEELY acquisition was to sell EVs and use the EVIJA as the proof of concept and the EMIRA to create the brand recognition. A Lotus badge and EMIRA visibility vs almost non existent current Lotus cars on the road is going to sell them WAY more EVs than one that had a GEELY or VOLVO logo on it.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I assume big plans are in place for all of this. The Emira with all it’s interest is just the springboard for their EV plans, mark my word they will be selling more 132s once it comes out than Emira’s (which will be higher in price at that time vs. Currently). In my mind the GEELY acquisition was to sell EVs and use the EVIJA as the proof of concept and the EMIRA to create the brand recognition. A Lotus badge and EMIRA visibility vs almost non existent current Lotus cars on the road is going to sell them WAY more EVs than one that had a GEELY or VOLVO logo on it.
Exactly, that's clearly the strategy. Emira was originally planned on 5,000 cars per year, Type 132 is 15k and Types 133/134 are multiples above that. Type 135 in 5 years time will be similar volumes to Emira and act as the transition from the end of ICE sportscars to the future Lotus EV sportscar roadmap. They're changing the retailing channels and dealer numbers and roles in parallel with that strategy.

Nymare

Reaction score
Yeah I believe 10 was the number reported somewhere for NA, but they're going to need more than that. I've lobbied for adding a location to Boise, Idaho, which is the state capital. Right now, there's a giant hole in the pacific northwest of the U.S. There's Park Place way up in Bellevue Washington, and Las Vegas. That's it. Nothing in eastern Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, or Utah. The red dots are Bellevue and Las Vegas. The green dot is Boise which is right in the middle. Boise would be at least something for those areas, but they really need one in Salt Lake City Utah and Reno Nevada.

View attachment 2904

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
My guess... FE is defined by: the limited FE colour palette, FE state of tune for the engine, and all the current options / packs thrown in for the FE sticker price (rather than starting at base price and adding packs on). And a badge that looks like it isn't quite on straight.
Yes, what is a First Edition is pretty clear and self-defining, exactly as you described.

Uniquely, it comes equipped with a massive envy generator!

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Heya,

A little birdie told me that Reno, NV is getting a Lotus dealership 😇
That's a good spot, but still a long ways away for most of the PNW. Salt Lake or Boise would be a good mid-point for everybody else up in that region.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
March for V6 FE globally

Deposit in before March deadline and, if via a non-UK dealer, they have notified the deposit to Lotus.
Thats not true I am afraid, I have direct contact with a dealer outside the UK in the EU and you could have ordered a V6 FE car until the second wednesday in April. Not to split hairs, more to the point that I dont think Lotus are 100% as organized as we or they would like ... yet. It also seems its against what the person who started the thread has indicated.....
The only reason I went for a FE car is its, quite simply, the first and quickest car to get your hands on. I could not care less if it has an FE badge on it, in fact I dont even like the badge and as all have said, it doesn't fit well. However, I would rather have the car mid year this year than potentially early to mid year next year, when values will already have dropped... as the quantities are already too high to keep pricing where we would like it....... we will see.
I have a bad feeling the 4 cyl may in the end be the most powerful car, with power possibly getting towards 500 lotus have said, where as the V6 I dont think will get there, BUT it has the manual and thats hard to beat.... although I will have to reserve that judgement until I have tried both.

Roll on July to try the car and actually see the colours in real lifeeeee

Kentviking

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Thats not true I am afraid, I have direct contact with a dealer outside the UK in the EU and you could have ordered a V6 FE car until the second wednesday in April. Not to split hairs, more to the point that I dont think Lotus are 100% as organized as we or they would like ... yet. It also seems its against what the person who started the thread has indicated.....
The only reason I went for a FE car is its, quite simply, the first and quickest car to get your hands on. I could not care less if it has an FE badge on it, in fact I dont even like the badge and as all have said, it doesn't fit well. However, I would rather have the car mid year this year than potentially early to mid year next year, when values will already have dropped... as the quantities are already too high to keep pricing where we would like it....... we will see.
I have a bad feeling the 4 cyl may in the end be the most powerful car, with power possibly getting towards 500 lotus have said, where as the V6 I dont think will get there, BUT it has the manual and thats hard to beat.... although I will have to reserve that judgement until I have tried both.

Roll on July to try the car and actually see the colours in real lifeeeee
Although the i4 will have the quicker acceleration the V6 will be the more powerful car, with the better noise (for most ears), and is available sooner. Tuning wise, post production, we will see...but it wouldn't surprise to see more powerful variants coming from the factory over time...as we have seen with their other cars.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just speculating…… In the past Lotus had a limited product range and limited budget. So they produced an ongoing stream of special paint editions, slightly more power, slightly different suspension set ups, sprinklings of carbon etc. Now they have wave after wave of new product, deep pocket backers to support this and an electric sports car just over the horizon. Maybe we shouldn’t expect too many variants on Emira going forward.

Quantas66

Reaction score
Hi all,

After reading a few posts in various threads from people saying there was no chance of them getting a first edition car and that numbers were limited, I just spoke with somebody from Lotus in the live chat on their website and was told that there is no cap on First Editions yet. Positive news which hopefully will put some minds at ease.

Here's the transcript:

09:41 am
Have all 'First Edition' cars gone now?

09:41 am
Welcome to Lotus Cars UK. Chat may be recorded for training and quality purposes.
Hello, I hope you are well.
We have not capped the amount of First Editions car that will be producing yet.
You still have the opportunity to order a FE car.

09:42 am
I put my first deposit down this week, so you're confident that will still be a 'first edition' with the badge etc...?

09:43 am
Yes, indeed. We will be in contact in the near future to ask your preference and get your configuration.

09:43 am
amazing! Thank you
smile.png
I put my deposit down for a first edition in July 2021 and got told today I could expect delivery in Nov 2022.... You will have a wait of circa 16-18 months, so you should get one by August 2023 if you're lucky...

Schumacher

Reaction score
This does not really make any sense. Dealers have their allocations and they are all taken. There has to be a 2-3 year waitless already.

Bradw

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I put my deposit down for a first edition in July 2021 and got told today I could expect delivery in Nov 2022.... You will have a wait of circa 16-18 months, so you should get one by August 2023 if you're lucky...
Can I ask when on July and your spec please