Favorite driving roads in Britain?

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So you have your Lotus or other fun marque. Where are your favorite areas of Britain to have long spirited drives? I’ve driven crappy rentals in hilly areas of Wales, England, and Scotland and encountered fun roads, but only by accident going from point A to B.

If you have a free day and want to “tear some tar” with some mates away from traffic and heavy law enforcement where would you go?

This is mostly for my entertainment, but I’m sure others would be interested to learn about your fun roads.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Lots of fun road content in this thread, including some British roads...

_w_

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I take it there’s no website with lists of roads and ratings, or an app to plan a route for you based on decent road size but twisty and relatively quiet 🤷‍♂️

OP
KAR120C

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks for the replies! I'm also looking for what you guys PERSONALLY drive when you have one day to make it count. Sometimes those won't be on the 'greatest roads' lists, but are still fun for you!

Oh, and I'm not planning a drive in Britain for myself right now. I'm just truly curious and enjoy the pictures! :)

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Several of my favourite UK roads are in the Ode to Roads thread:
  • The TT Course - Isle of Man
  • The Sloc - Isle of Man
  • Kendal to Keswick, Lake District
  • Stirling Road/Old Military Road, Loch Lomond
  • Elan Valley/Claerwen Valley - Wales
Here's a good view of the Sloc from my trip to the Isle of Man in July:

I'd also add the A494 along Lake Bala in North Wales, as used for the Top Gear Emira prototype road test:

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I take it there’s no website with lists of roads and ratings, or an app to plan a route for you based on decent road size but twisty and relatively quiet 🤷‍♂️

I own getawaydriving.com and have considered building something like this, it just keeps getting knocked down the list for more lucrative things.

Reactions: _w_
OP
KAR120C

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Several of my favourite UK roads are in the Ode to Roads thread:
  • The TT Course - Isle of Man
  • The Sloc - Isle of Man
  • Kendal to Keswick, Lake District
  • Stirling Road/Old Military Road, Loch Lomond
  • Elan Valley/Claerwen Valley - Wales
Here's a good view of the Sloc from my trip to the Isle of Man in July:

I'd also add the A494 along Lake Bala in North Wales, as used for the Top Gear Emira prototype road test:
Nice!! I’ll be on Google Earth tomorrow looking those up!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Curvature helps you plan routes with twisty roads:

I also use Calimoto, which is a route planning and navigation app aimed at motorcyclists:

Reactions: _w_

nelly111s

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Maybe not to everyone’s taste, but Bealach na Ba (Pass of the Cattle) is great if you get a decent run.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The A894 from Loch Assynt over Quinag to Kylsku is an all time favourite of mine. Other worldy scenery and an endless series of well-sighted corners.

20230420_075931[1].jpg

20230420_080325[1].jpg

Closer to home the A701 via Devil's Beeftub takes some beating
20230611_142804-jpg.27685

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My personal favorite is Ingleton to Hawes in the North Yorkshire Dales. Everything freefall_junkie said above. When I finally drive my Emira along that route, the last 2+ years will all be worth it (y)

Ribble-Viaduct-1--760x507.jpg

^Alas not me, just the best pic I could find online :ROFLMAO:

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
One of my favourites is the A686, Alston to Melmerby via the Hartside Pass in the North Pennines.
The road getting to Alston from County Durham up through Weardale on the A689 isn't bad either, but there are also good options from other directions such as Hexham or a certain ex-UK government advisor's favourite... Barnard Castle.

GAVLA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some great driving roads in the South East that aren't taken up by road works and speed restrictions :mad:

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The B974 over Cairn o' Mount is probably the best driving road I use regularly. Quickest way to head south for me, most of the time less busy than the A93 over Glenshee, and IMO as driving roads go it's up there with the best! An early morning run on a sunny summer day is fantastic.

OP
KAR120C

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks for the great roads! Even though I have to enjoy them vicariously through Google Earth, I love to see where you drive in Britain! Our recent trips have been for hiking and sightseeing. Someday I'd love to do a hardcore driving trip and hit these roads with a nice car.

BTW, are radar detectors legal? I could see losing my license very quickly on those roads!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Detectors are legal, jammers are illegal. Several of the navigation apps also mark the fixed camera locations and social apps like Waze usually have mobile detectors reported by users.

The advantage of going to the Isle of Man is there are no speed limits outside the villages and a few stretches of 50 mph. Get there soon, as there is pressure to add more restrictions and I noticed more 50 limits this year than my last visit 4 years ago.