Factory Tour Thread

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
We just got home from a London vacation yesterday. While there we took a day and went to Hethel last week since we were nearby, and spent time at Classic Team Lotus and the factory.

I was (re)energized and excited because of my visit. There was a Nimbus, non-black pack car out front ready to be delivered (my general spec) and it’s the first Nimbus I’ve seen in person. I was soooo happy to have chosen that color. It looked brilliant in the sun. Depending on the reflection it looked like liquid chrome on the curves.

There were probably about 100 cars that were parked outside with the white transport film applied and ready to go!

I was impressed with the factory. It was clean and well organized. The lines were full, and parts and sub-assemblies were lined up and ready! All the cars on the line, as well as the queued chassis, were RHD so if you’ve been thinking they are already making the US cars – they aren’t.

There was no doubt in my mind that they are keenly aware of delivery timing disappointments. I was also pleased to see that they are serious about improving their quality, not only at the in-line stations, but through random full-car inspections made (and graded) by independent teams.

If you are in the London area for vacation (like a lot of Americans), plan a day and go to Hethel!

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
We just got home from a London vacation yesterday. While there we took a day and went to Hethel last week since we were nearby, and spent time at Classic Team Lotus and the factory.

I was (re)energized and excited because of my visit. There was a Nimbus, non-black pack car out front ready to be delivered (my general spec) and it’s the first Nimbus I’ve seen in person. I was soooo happy to have chosen that color. It looked brilliant in the sun. Depending on the reflection it looked like liquid chrome on the curves.

There were probably about 100 cars that were parked outside with the white transport film applied and ready to go!

I was impressed with the factory. It was clean and well organized. The lines were full, and parts and sub-assemblies were lined up and ready! All the cars on the line, as well as the queued chassis, were RHD so if you’ve been thinking they are already making the US cars – they aren’t.

There was no doubt in my mind that they are keenly aware of delivery timing disappointments. I was also pleased to see that they are serious about improving their quality, not only at the in-line stations, but through random full-car inspections made (and graded) by independent teams.

If you are in the London area for vacation (like a lot of Americans), plan a day and go to Hethel!
Thank you for sharing your experience. Out of curiosity, do you recall which body panels were covered with the white transportation film?

EMIRADILEMMA

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Did you happen to see (or hear) any i4s by any chance?

BSC

Reaction score

Were there many RHD V6 automatic lined up?

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Did you see the numbers board showing the total output so far?
No, I didn't know they had one! I would've asked if I'd known. Maybe someone else taking a tour can get that pointed out! Granted I took an abbreviated tour since I mixed it with a Heritage tour.