❓ QUESTION Exhaust valves

Citizen

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You can start the engine in Sport or Track. First need to press and hold the start button for 5 seconds without your foot on the clutch. That will switch the car on - power up the charging sockets, turn the lights and dash on etc…

But most importantly it allows you to change the driving mode. Change that, then press the start button with the clutch depressed = loud startup!

Thanks , I tried it yesterday and it works , even my salesman didn’t know it 😅

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Adding some more context to this conversation with some information from service manual.

There is a single exhaust valve and it's electronically controlled, it has to be disconnected to remove the rear bumper, presumably the harness for it is attached to the bumper.

1674662194795.png

Based on posts from other early owners throwing codes related to the exhaust valve it would seem that the Lotus ECU may indeed check that the valve is operating correctly as one seemed to maybe get stuck and throw a code. This might make it slightly more difficult than simply unplugging them for those that want it loud all the time -- or even people like me who want to control it via GPS for sound checks at race tracks.

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I can shed some light on this, the valve is definitely being checked.

I know this first hand because mine got a little stuck or didn't behave as expected and threw a code. Had to be cleared at a service center.
Continuous amber check engine light, survives cycling the car on/off.

However no limb mode :D

OP
Magicman

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Shame, So we're going to need a valve controller then. If I decide I'm keeping it past 6mths I'll probably go for an exhaust mod as well

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
With the Komotec bypass pipe I had to pay £68 import tax… but UPS having been saying I’m out when I’m not so I still haven’t got it… shouldn’t be long now.

On the plus side the insurance company only wanted a £9.50 premium for adding it to my policy :)

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
With the Komotec bypass pipe I had to pay £68 import tax… but UPS having been saying I’m out when I’m not so I still haven’t got it… shouldn’t be long now.

On the plus side the insurance company only wanted a £9.50 premium for adding it to my policy :)
Look forward to the update

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Emira of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Have you cleared out that this doesn't affect the warranty? Thanks

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Have you cleared out that this doesn't affect the warranty?

Not really.

From what I’ve read the manufacturer can’t just invalidate the warranty for the whole car for a non-OEM part on a non- related part of the car.

They can invalidate the warranty on the rest of the exhaust system, but that’s not a real concern for me.

I don’t believe they can invalidate the warranty on the engine though unless they can prove that the absence of the cat caused the issue… and that the cat was absent when the issue occurred.

I’d love the blessing from Lotus but I’m not expecting one! Why would they?

jcyl

Reaction score
Not really.

From what I’ve read the manufacturer can’t just invalidate the warranty for the whole car for a non-OEM part on a non- related part of the car.

They can invalidate the warranty on the rest of the exhaust system, but that’s not a real concern for me.

I don’t believe they can invalidate the warranty on the engine though unless they can prove that the absence of the cat caused the issue… and that the cat was absent when the issue occurred.

All the best in having it fitted and we all eagerly look forward to updates after.
Any warning light etc !

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Emira of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not really.

Thanks a lot. I´m in the same boat. Can't wait for your impressions after you install it

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Fom what I’ve read the manufacturer can’t just invalidate the warranty for the whole car for a non-OEM part on a non- related part of the car.

FYI what you're describing is a consumer rights provision of the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, which is a US thing.

I'm not sure that any similar legal doctrine exists in the UK. Maybe an expert can weigh in on this.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
My Jeep has a button I can leave pressed and when I start the Jeep it “remembers” the setting. So if I leave it on it’ll start louder and if not then it won’t. Helpful for remote start late night to not wake the neighbors.

My Evora has the same exact button but always defaults to “silent” mode…

This whole “hold the button in process” for a loud start sounds like a reasonable “work around” and I love that we already know it. Thank you!