Exhaust valves

or figure out some sort of bypass to make it start in SPORT (or in the last selected drive mode instead of resetting to TOUR by default)?
I'm assuming/ hoping you can press the start button to fire up the electrics , flip it in to sport or track then press again with the foot on the break to fire up the engine for a bit of theatre

We don't know if the valves are vacuum or electric butterfly valve powered yet.

The Evora was controlled via the ECU but powered by a vacuum line, which requires a bit more than simply disconnecting a plug.

I'm assuming/ hoping you can press the start button to fire up the electrics , flip it in to sport or track then press again with the foot on the break to fire up the engine for a bit of theatre

I don't think you can unfortunately, I've tried. I might be missing something when doing it, but trying the same way as my Supra which is pressing start with no pedals to get onto the accessory mode then change the drive mode it does nothing in the Emira. Tour cold start though sounds pretty decent, but obviously sport or track would be better!

We don't know if the valves are vacuum or electric butterfly valve powered yet.

The Evora was controlled via the ECU but powered by a vacuum line, which requires a bit more than simply disconnecting a plug.
That's why I was wondering if an owner can shed any light on it.

911 are vacuum but it's a simple plug pull in the engine bay, ferrari was really easy, pull the vacuum pipe under the bonnet and put an M5 bolt in it, Rs & M cars have been trickier having to crawl under the back. Hopefully a simple hack for the emira

That's why I was wondering if an owner can shed any light on it.

911 are vacuum but it's a simple plug pull in the engine bay, ferrari was really easy, pull the vacuum pipe under the bonnet and put an M5 bolt in it, Rs & M cars have been trickier having to crawl under the back. Hopefully a simple hack for the emira
It’s a continuously variable electrically-controlled valve, not the simple open/closed vacuum type of the Exige/Evora.

I’d imagine simply unplugging it would throw an error light, but we need someone to Guinea Pig it.

It’s a continuously variable electrically-controlled valve, not the simple open/closed vacuum type of the Exige/Evora.

I’d imagine simply unplugging it would throw an error light, but we need someone to Guinea Pig it.

Do you have any specific details on how you found this out? Not doubting, just curious as to technicals :)

I would imagine if it's continuously variable -- it is likely just an actuator listening for CAN packets like most cars with electronic valves. There should be no issue with simply unplugging them as they don't usually report back, only listen for CAN packets with a specific ID and value, the value would indicate how much to open the valves.

Komotec offer a remote control for the valves on some Evora models, hopefully they can offer a workaround for the Emira

I think @TomE had suggested previously that you should be able to fire the Emira up in Sports mode by switching modes prior to second button push, but @scoates is saying not possible. Shame

You can start the engine in Sport or Track. First need to press and hold the start button for 5 seconds without your foot on the clutch. That will switch the car on - power up the charging sockets, turn the lights and dash on etc…

But most importantly it allows you to change the driving mode. Change that, then press the start button with the clutch depressed = loud startup!

You can start the engine in Sport or Track. First need to press and hold the start button for 5 seconds without your foot on the clutch. That will switch the car on - power up the charging sockets, turn the lights and dash on etc…

But most importantly it allows you to change the driving mode. Change that, then press the start button with the clutch depressed = loud startup!

That's good to hear! I didn't try holding down the starter button, will have to give it a go next time!

Do you have any specific details on how you found this out? Not doubting, just curious as to technicals
You can see the electrical connector on the valve through the mesh under the number plate. It even has a little cooling scoop under it on the diffuser.
I asked Scott Walker at one of the roadshows last year and he confirmed that was how it worked.
BE5CA9A6-B0ED-417F-894F-53CC502EF71A.jpeg

You can see the electrical connector on the valve through the mesh under the number plate. It even has a little cooling scoop under it on the diffuser.
I asked Scott Walker at one of the roadshows last year and he confirmed that was how it worked.View attachment 20715
Interesting :) I'll try to skim through some of the tour videos to see if I can get a clear shot of it too.

That's interesting. Mercedes also uses an electronically actuated variable exhaust valve. The exhaust valve is tested by the ECU and the engine goes into limp mode if it can't confirm that the flap is working correctly. The rationale is that the engine needs the valve to be open at high output levels. If the flap does not open properly, it can lead to engine damage.

Renntech sells a valve controller for Mercedes with the M139 engine and it's not a simple bypass plug. It actually mimics the response of the valve controller to ECU commands.

It's possible that Lotus went with this electronic valve because they have to do it for the M139 anyway.

That's interesting. Mercedes also uses an electronically actuated variable exhaust valve. The exhaust valve is tested by the ECU and the engine goes into limp mode if it can't confirm that the flap is working correctly. The rationale is that the engine needs the valve to be open at high output levels. If the flap does not open properly, it can lead to engine damage.

Renntech sells a valve controller for Mercedes with the M139 engine and it's not a simple bypass plug. It actually mimics the response of the valve controller to ECU commands.

It's possible that Lotus went with this electronic valve because they have to do it for the M139 anyway.
Interesting Merc tests that, BMW doesn’t test theirs, won’t get a single code. Idk about engine damage, but your muffler will sure as hell get warmer.

Interesting Merc tests that, BMW doesn’t test theirs, won’t get a single code. Idk about engine damage, but your muffler will sure as hell get warmer.
Yea, not only does Mercedes test the valve but it tests it even when the car is not on. The procedure for installing the valve controller requires that the car be turned off and the keys be completely out of range, wrapped in aluminum foil, and the car left alone for 30 minutes before working on it. Because if the car senses the keys are close by, it may test the valve in preparation for running. I installed this valve controller on my AMG GT53 and had to do this dance.