Evora, or Emira, which is the better looking car

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I am with Tom here. I also had an Evora S and have previously posted that I though the best view was of the front. The rear was never as well resolved and further Evora developments didnt improve that in my humble opinion. The switchgear and general interior improved in the later ones. I could never understand why the heated seat switches in mine were one above the other so you had to peer at them when they could have been fitted side by side. However, I do think the Recaro seats in the early cars were more comfortable than the Sparcos (I think) in the later cars, but I am more road than track and the later seats may be more track oriented. I do have a S1 Elise and two Elans but the Emira will be the first new Lotus I have ever bought. So to answer the question, I prefer the looks of the Emira over the Evora, but I did have a heavy heart when I sold my Evora in December.

CoryC

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm still somewhat on the fence on which car is the better looking one overall. I've only seen the evora IRL. From the front, the emira takes the cake for me. But I find the rear of the evora *way* better looking. The round tail lights really do it for me. The sweeping tail light on the emira reminds me of clunky American sedans (think mercury or Lincoln, likely driven by someone born before 1940). And the renders people have done of the emira with round lights look amazing. I find this to be such a confusing and disappointing design choice.

What do y'all think?
Emira for me, by far... and it begins with the exhaust. The Emira exhaust looks like a proper mid engine sports car, even exotic... yet the Evora single central exhaust outlet makes the car look like much lesser of a car... to me. I see JDM cars like a Civic R, or early boxter... and it just really lessens the prestige of the car to me. I know many love that, but it's just not for me. If the Evora GT had the Emira exhaust and interior, it would be close as they're both visually appealing, but the Emira is a bit more modern looking. I can't wait for it to come in!

r1lee

Reaction score
Emira for me, by far... and it begins with the exhaust. The Emira exhaust looks like a proper mid engine sports car, even exotic... yet the Evora single central exhaust outlet makes the car look like much lesser of a car... to me. I see JDM cars like a Civic R, or early boxter... and it just really lessens the prestige of the car to me. I know many love that, but it's just not for me. If the Evora GT had the Emira exhaust and interior, it would be close as they're both visually appealing, but the Emira is a bit more modern looking. I can't wait for it to come in!

interesting comment, so your thoughts on the 911 GT's, Boxster/Caymen, Lexus LFA and a few others with middle exhausts. Remind you of a Civic?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I’m surprised by you highlighting the exhaust. Twin exhausts are pretty standard fare. The Emira setup harks back to many of the Elise S2/S3 with a rear panel and exhaust tips. It’s not really that exotic is it?

Rudolph

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Ref: ".............. The Emira exhaust looks like a proper mid engine sports car, even exotic............"

Exotic........?
Are you kidding, it's ten in a dozen.......so very, very predictable........boring almost.
Every new car, from Kia on has two side-exhausts........or twin side-exhausts......

Evora's mid-engine exhaust is among classmates as Koenigsegg One:1, Regera and Agera RS (picture), Mercedes -AMG GT R, Lambo Diablo GTR and Veneno, McLaren F1, Lexus LFA, Pagani Zonda and Huayra..........etc.

1652471934218.png

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I was never into the Evora because it was so ugly inside and out to me. The Emira on the other hand is fantastic.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Friday night honesty?
Since the Esprit I never really looked at Lotus.
The Elise never did it for me.
I didn’t know the Exige existed until I saw the Emira.
Same with the Evora. Until the Emira I wouldn’t have considered the brand.

Now I proudly own an Evora, wish I got an Exige, and patiently wait for my Emira, and any morsel of Emira news.

The Evora is an ‘18 so it’s not the newest looking body style but it’s close and it’s exquisite in its own right.

But the Emira is like a reborn Esprit to me. It brought me back to the late 80’s when I dreamed about owning a Lotus. Never thought I could get that feeling back and so happy I randomly saw a post about the Emira 7/7/21. :)

#ForTheMemories

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Friday night honesty?
Since the Esprit I never really looked at Lotus.
The Elise never did it for me.
I didn’t know the Exige existed until I saw the Emira.
Same with the Evora. Until the Emira I wouldn’t have considered the brand.

Now I proudly own an Evora, wish I got an Exige, and patiently wait for my Emira, and any morsel of Emira news.

The Evora is an ‘18 so it’s not the newest looking body style but it’s close and it’s exquisite in its own right.

But the Emira is like a reborn Esprit to me. It brought me back to the late 80’s when I dreamed about owning a Lotus. Never thought I could get that feeling back and so happy I randomly saw a post about the Emira 7/7/21. :)

#ForTheMemories
I'm exactly in the same page.
now I own the Evora ´19 model and will keep it along the Emira.
At the beginning I was a little skeptical about the design of the Evora but it has grown on me bit time.
I even think the front looks better than the Emira (personal opinion) but overall Emira design 100%.

IMG_3030.jpeg

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Just wanted to remind the gang that these two models are 13-14 years apart, and in car design world that's a pretty big gap (imagine F15 vs. F22 jets).

Secondly the Evora is a 2+2 which affects the roof line compared to the 2 seater.

Thirdly the Emira is a good 150-200kg heavier and from a design and engineering perspective, you have more leeway when there are less limitations.

So while I do agree with everyone's conclusion, I feel the comparison was not the most appropriate to begin with.

FlyNavy01

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Just wanted to remind the gang that these two models are 13-14 years apart, and in car design world that's a pretty big gap (imagine F15 vs. F22 jets).

Secondly the Evora is a 2+2 which affects the roof line compared to the 2 seater.

Thirdly the Emira is a good 150-200kg heavier and from a design and engineering perspective, you have more leeway when there are less limitations.

So while I do agree with everyone's conclusion, I feel the comparison was not the most appropriate to begin with.
The Emira isn't anywhere near 200kg heavier than the Evora, but actually lighter in base form.

Evora GT: 1408kg
Emira: 1405kg

If you're comparing base 2010 Evora with 2023 Emira than it's still only 21kg heavier. Also semantics, but F-15 and F-22 are 33 years apart (1972 versus 2005).

Given the Evora stopped selling only a few months ago, and Emira is set to replace it this summer, I think it's a pretty apt comparison.

Last edited:

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The Emira isn't anywhere near 200kg heavier than the Evora, but actually lighter in base form.

If you're comparing base 2010 Evora with 2023 Emira than it's still only 21kg heavier. Also semantics, but F-15 and F-22 are 35 years apart (1972 versus 2007).

Given the Evora stopped selling only a few months ago, and Emira is set to replace it this summer, I think it's a pretty apt comparison.
Agree, the chassis is fairly similar and it has the same power train. It would be hard to not compare the two.

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

If you're comparing base 2010 Evora with 2023 Emira than it's still only 21kg heavier. Also semantics, but F-15 and F-22 are 33 years apart (1972 versus 2005).

It seems valid to me to compare the incoming model with the most relevant outgoing one. The question is of, course, subjective so there are no right or wrong answers, but measurables such as proportions and fluidity (continuity rather than interruption of lines) can come into play.

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It seems valid to me to compare the incoming model with the most relevant outgoing one. The question is of, course, subjective so there are no right or wrong answers, but measurables such as proportions and fluidity (continuity rather than interruption of lines) can come into play.
In my view, if the new design is not at least 20% better looking than the outgoing model from 10-15 years ago, then it's pretty much a failure.

firstlotus

Reaction score
I'm still somewhat on the fence on which car is the better looking one overall. I've only seen the evora IRL. From the front, the emira takes the cake for me. But I find the rear of the evora *way* better looking. The round tail lights really do it for me. The sweeping tail light on the emira reminds me of clunky American sedans (think mercury or Lincoln, likely driven by someone born before 1940). And the renders people have done of the emira with round lights look amazing. I find this to be such a confusing and disappointing design choice.

What do y'all think?
I think the Emira is hands down one of the most visually striking cars today - I do agree with you about the rear taillight treatment, I would like it better if it had round taillights as you mentioned re: Evora. I look at the rear of the Emira and see a 2021 Dodge Charger unfortunately - however if that's all I can find to fix I'm fine with that and I'm sure it will grow on me...LoL...!

Rudolph

Emira Fan
Reaction score
REF: "................The Emira isn't anywhere near 200kg heavier than the Evora, but actually lighter in base form.

If you're comparing base 2010 Evora with 2023 Emira than it's still only 21kg heavier. Also semantics, but F-15 and F-22 are 33 years apart (1972 versus 2005). ............."

In my opinion the weight's mentioned are wrong.
The est. curb weight of the Emira (manual / automatic ?) is 1470 kg

The 2019 Evora GT 410 Sport IPS has an "unladen / curb weight" of 1368 Kg's and not 1408 kg as stated.
(See Brochure: EVORA | GBR MAY19 | LOTVS05498)

The Emira V6 therefore is at least 100 kg's heavier than the Evora GT 410 Sport V6 IPS

Last edited:

FlyNavy01

Emira Fan
Reaction score
20220513-IMG_3310.jpg

707309.jpg

The Emira looks better to me from every angle except one, the rear.

Both of these cars have the same size rear tires, but the Evora's give the illusion of looking much meatier due to the more exposed rubber from the higher bumper cutoff and lower wheel vents. That, plus the aggressive diffuser, give it much sportier looking haunches. I do agree the Emira taillight's look a bit goofy in shape and size (like melted fruit as Gordon Murray says), but overall a very small criticism in light of an otherwise striking and hopefully timeless design IMO.

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
In my view, if the new design is not at least 20% better looking than the outgoing model from 10-15 years ago, then it's pretty much a failure.
Emira is already a failure then.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
View attachment 5544
View attachment 5550

Both of these cars have the same size rear tires, but the Evora's give the illusion of looking much meatier due to the more exposed rubber from the higher bumper cutoff and lower wheel vents. That, plus the aggressive diffuser, give it much sportier looking haunches. I do agree the Emira taillight's look a bit goofy in shape and size (like melted fruit as Gordon Murray says), but overall a very small criticism in light of an otherwise striking and hopefully timeless design IMO.
My exact thoughts

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
View attachment 5544
View attachment 5550

Anyone with Photoshop skills who’d like to superimpose 4 round lights onto the Emira? Like a Ferrari 308. You could even keep the existing top LED strip, like an Alfa…

CoryC

Emira Fan
Reaction score
interesting comment, so your thoughts on the 911 GT's, Boxster/Caymen, Lexus LFA and a few others with middle exhausts. Remind you of a Civic?
The double and triple pipes not as bad, I preferred the dual tip on the early n/a Evora over the single anus... but the central exhaust overall just doesn't do it for me