EPA Is Targeting Aftermarket Car Modifications

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I know North America is on a high due to CARB, but I wanted to share this article. The more you read the crazier it gets. Examples of going after companies to private citizens.

OP
Pegasi

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
It takes a while for the website to load, at least for me it did.

Gprodigy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Fast and Furious 11 is going to be insane
EPA-Targets-Aftermarket-Car-Modifications-8-1-1024x576.jpg

"I don't have a Lotus... I have Family 🏎️💨"

@Life411

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Reading stuff like this is depressing. For anyone who doesn't think their vote counts, read near the end of the article.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Yea, the Chevron Deference is as good as dead. However, I am not sure if this falls under that. If there are emissions standards and these modifications causes emissions to exceed those standards…. In general a business selling products should know if their product or method of operations violate the law and ignorance is not an excuse.

I have no sympathy for the coal rolling crowd.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This government response to automotive modification is 100% the result of the hyper-aggro belligerence of the diesel truck enthusiast community. If they weren't so insistent on screaming directly in everyone's faces and assaulting people on the sidewalk with clouds of diesel soot as they scream in laughter out the window of their 10" lifted Mall Trucks, none of this would have happened.

In fact the performance automotive community wasn't even on the radar of the EPA, since it's so small as a constituency compared to the general statistical incidence of poor maintenance causing heightened emissions on older cars... except for the fact that one of these a-holes randomly coal rolled an EPA administrator who was out for a bike ride in Northern Virginia. They're pedaling along quietly minding their own business, and some jackass redneck screamed some shit about environmentalism out the window of a truck and blew diesel soot in their face. That got their full attention. And then it got personal. And I don't blame them.

All of the frustration we're going to experience as a subculture over this issue is a result of society's inability to effectively discipline these antisocial morons.

SirSoysauce

Reaction score
I think I'm easily swayed because I'm one who is already pretty invested in modifications, but this is definitely convincing me to both be diligent on what mods I do on the Emira, and frankly even making me wonder if I should trade my car in before regulations get more stringent. I don't like being a Doomer, but the political environment is signaling that there is a good chance it can get worst before it gets better.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think I'm easily swayed because I'm one who is already pretty invested in modifications, but this is definitely convincing me to both be diligent on what mods I do on the Emira, and frankly even making me wonder if I should trade my car in before regulations get more stringent. I don't like being a Doomer, but the political environment is signaling that there is a good chance it can get worst before it gets better.
Can I be the voice of reason on this?

Modern "sporty" cars are FAST. Way, way faster than they were 20, or even 10 years ago.

The performance deficit in a modern car, even a relatively modest one from a claimed performance standpoint like, say, a BMW 330i, is not the engine. It's the suspension, the brakes, and the way-too-isolated feel of the car due to advanced multi-durometer bushings making the car feel like it's floating.

A used BMW 328i xDrive or 330i xDrive with better brake pads, some mild suspension work and a few bushings swapped out will absolutely walk away on a mountain road from some of the fastest cars designed for that terrain from the mid-'00s, like the Subaru STi (GD, GR) and the Mitsu Evo (8, 9, 10). You don't need to remove catalytic converters to do that.

SirSoysauce

Reaction score
Can I be the voice of reason on this?

Modern "sporty" cars are FAST. Way, way faster than they were 20, or even 10 years ago.

The performance deficit in a modern car, even a relatively modest one from a claimed performance standpoint like, say, a BMW 330i, is not the engine. It's the suspension, the brakes, and the way-too-isolated feel of the car due to advanced multi-durometer bushings making the car feel like it's floating.

A used BMW 328i xDrive or 330i xDrive with better brake pads, some mild suspension work and a few bushings swapped out will absolutely walk away on a mountain road from some of the fastest cars designed for that terrain from the mid-'00s, like the Subaru STi (GD, GR) and the Mitsu Evo (8, 9, 10). You don't need to remove catalytic converters to do that.

For the Emira, I actually have my eyes on potentially the resonator delete and the Valvetronic Design exhaust system if they make one for the Emira. I'm more standing on the fact that I modified my S5 with a larger turbo to have a car that can be exciting in all environments (road, track, drag-strip). I'm at a sunk cost scenario and was planning to keep my S5 since I absolutely enjoy the turbo induction noises, but have become more hesitant as regulatory bodies like EPA and CARB are making owning modified vehicles more troublesome.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For the Emira, I actually have my eyes on potentially the resonator delete and the Valvetronic Design exhaust system if they make one for the Emira. I'm more standing on the fact that I modified my S5 with a larger turbo to have a car that can be exciting in all environments (road, track, drag-strip). I'm at a sunk cost scenario and was planning to keep my S5 since I absolutely enjoy the turbo induction noises, but have become more hesitant as regulatory bodies like EPA and CARB are making owning modified vehicles more troublesome.
I hear you, but drive the car first and evaluate whether you need it to be meaningfully faster. It's already a fast car. You can get more out of the car by tuning the driver than you can from adding headers, etc. And you can get 90%+ of the exhaust sound you might want without removing a single cat.

All I'm saying is that the "default calculus" we've grown up with about cars needing to have their emissions controls removed in order to be sporty or fast is just no longer the case. That was from an era when inherent engine performance was truly choked by basic emissions controls, but that's no longer true, now they make plenty of power even with emissions equipment in place.