Engine swap fantasy

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm convinced the Emira is a bargain now and will be considered even more of a bargain over the years.

I still maintain that the price of our early Emiras will never drop down below the price we pay for them.
I wish I was that optimistic šŸ˜…

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Ha, a common trait in my personality... the eternal optimist -sometimes annoyingly so.

I can't see it going down.

By the time there are more Emiras on the road, in the thousands, it will be a few years hence.
They will already be standing out against the then only available DCT i4.
Costs are pushing up prices anyway. I reckon that even the base i4 Lotus will be more than what we are paying for the V6 FE in a few years time.

Then there is the 'I must get a manual, non-turbo, mostly analogue sports car' sentiment as we near EV dominance.

On top of that, there will no better looking car made - perhaps ever.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Ha, a common trait in my personality... the eternal optimist -sometimes annoyingly so.

I can't see it going down.

By the time there are more Emiras on the road, in the thousands, it will be a few years hence.
They will already be standing out against the then only available DCT i4.
Costs are pushing up prices anyway. I reckon that even the base i4 Lotus will be more than what we are paying for the V6 FE in a few years time.

Then there is the 'I must get a manual, non-turbo, mostly analogue sports car' sentiment as we near EV dominance.

On top of that, there will no better looking car made - perhaps ever.
I think it will be made in too many numbers to be a sure fire depreciation free win.
Then again if these delays carry on....

Stonecutter

Reaction score
I know, was just an observation, all too late in the day for sure.
Basically I was just saying the Emira looked so good and has moved the game on so much for Lotus as a model, that with a bespoke engine and gearbox they could have sold it as a 911 rival. Although it would be in a niche of its own really being mid engine, more a cut price R8/or Mclaren.
The whole character of the car would change with an 8500 rpm screamer putting out 500 odd bhp in the same 'lightweight' package (sure it could have tipped below 1400kg)
In fantasy I think you are spot on. This thing should be above a cayman, there is really no other cayman alternative, and there has to be a huge (Iā€™m biased) market for a mid engine mini supercar that is ā€œattainableā€. Letā€™s face it, the emira looks soooo amazing that it deserves maybe not even an in house but something more special than the v6 it has.

Stonecutter

Reaction score
I said this in a joke but the more I think about it the Audi 5 cylinder is perfect for this car. Compact, loads of torque, 400hp, a little over 7000 redline, great sounds and would have a positive impact on the 0-60 Iā€™d imagine. Also probably cheap enough considering what an RS3 cost.

That or some kind of 8-9000 rpm Porsche gt3 ā€œliteā€ engine. I have no idea what that is, but the gt3 has to be by far the best sounding car in traffic I have ever heard that is not from Italy.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Yeah, if Geely had given them the money to make a special one-time-use custom engine and trans for the LAST ICE car they're ever going to make, or would be able use it, then yeah... Surprisingly they didn't! What were they thinking (other than cost versus use)?

The Emira wasn't designed to be the fastest, most cutting-edge, state-of-the-art sports car ever made. It was designed to be an homage to the Lotus cars of the past, but with a new, more modern exterior/interior and some current electronics. It's essentially a tribute to the past cars, because from now on, there won't be any more cars like this.