Emira V6 Manual vs. R8 V10 Manual

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Today I had my second test drive with the Emira, incidentally with the exact same car as my drive last year, as the one that was supposed to be at the dealership was pulled out either (not sure if it went elsewhere or had issues?) Regardless, I was excited to get behind the wheel again, and now that I have purchased a gen 1 Audi R8 with a V10 and gated manual, I thought I could share my thoughts with anyone who may be considering between these two cars.

You can dig way back to my other thoughts about my first test drive, or my comparison to the 718 GT4, if you really care to have any background on my history or thoughts. Some new, relevant context to keep in mind was that right before my test drive I did find out I would not be qualifying for FE 2.0 as I was expecting, but am next 1-2 people in line if anyone else drops out, so that was a bit sad. I also did not push the car nearly as hard as I did in my first test drive, as conditions were a bit damp and rainy, and traffic was MUCH heavier.

Main differences:

Acceleration is not even close, R8 is in a different league. After coincidentally driving about half a dozen vehicles in the last two days, I have to say the acceleration of the Emira feels very comparable to my old STi, which was a bit underwhelming, but also a bit refreshing. My R8 has so much that I can basically never put my foot down, at least where I live. Always restraining in some way. I was able to put my foot the whole way down on the Emira and still felt like I could of used a bit more punch, but loved that I didn't need to hold back. And still PLENTY for the steet. I do have to say, I think I would miss those highway ramp pull butterflies long term from the R8.

Steering feel is not even close, Emira is in a different league than the R8 (or 718 GT4). Just an a joy to take around the turns and although I didnt get to push it this time around, it was obvious and telling when I immediately had more feedback than the Audi upon basically just starting out. I would miss the confidence the Emira gives in the turns. No such thing as a perfect car, eh?

Less significant differences/ observations:
  • Cars are surprisingly similar sizes
  • People can't tell when you are driving a gated V10 R8, but those who know get VERY excited, whereas the Emira will get more attention from the average non-enthusiast in my opinion. Could be good or bad, depending on your personality or goals.
  • In this case, R8 looks more professional+classy, Emira looks more sporty+fun (color plays a big role here I bet)
  • Driving position, cockpit, and pedal stiffnesses and placement are better in the R8
  • Interior finish and visual design are better in the Emira
  • Both have great sound, but 8750 rpm redline has me spoiled
  • Controversially liked the shifter feel better in the Emira, don't burn me
Again, nothing particularly groundbreaking to present here, just thought someone may find this helpful possibly. Overall, for the price hikes, current issues to be ironed out, and horrible CS with Lotus Corporate, I feel that I got a better deal with the R8 and have an overall better experience, but definitely want a friend who has an Emira so I can experience the handling every now and again. What's the saying about boats; "the best boat is the one your friend owns?" R8 is no slouch in the twisties and definitely not in the straights... genuinely just feels like more car for the money. My mind is not totally made up, and I still have not pulled my deposit and could still do a trade-in, but now knowing I am not even in the next round of FEs, I feel very confident in my choice for the present.

Pics to follow, pardon the fact that both cars are filthy... the weather was on and off the last few days.

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
A few pics of the cars together, as well as some basic angles that are the same for each car to compare visually! Again, apologies for the filth, I promise at least my car isn't usually like that haha

Attachments

• 20230729_133604.jpg
    20230729_133604.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 20230729_124938.jpg
    20230729_124938.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 20230729_124957.jpg
    20230729_124957.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 208
  • 20230729_133628.jpg
    20230729_133628.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 192
  • 20230729_133634.jpg
    20230729_133634.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 175
  • 20230729_133703 (1).jpg
    20230729_133703 (1).jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 20230729_133657.jpg
    20230729_133657.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 172
  • 20230729_133648.jpg
    20230729_133648.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 20230729_133643.jpg
    20230729_133643.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 190

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
How's the reliability of the Audi? They don't exactly have a great reputation, being a German car. (Of course, I can say the same for Corvettes (Z06 being close in price to the Audi?) as American cars. The Emira is also not a beacon of reliability.......

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
How's the reliability of the Audi? They don't exactly have a great reputation, being a German car. (Of course, I can say the same for Corvettes (Z06 being close in price to the Audi?) as American cars. The Emira is also not a beacon of reliability.......
The V10 is supposedly much more reliable (and ironically easy to work on) than the V8. Apparently was not designed by Audi alone, if at all, and was used in late model Gallardos (5.2, not 5.0) and Huracans.... the only engine warrantied for the 24 hours of Le Mans, so that must mean something. Major issues are AC compressor failing and magride dampers failing, both very pricey repairs. Both were just replaced on mine, and carbon cleaning was also completed on mine before purchase. Additionally oil changes every 2k miles through the life of the vehicle thus far. Pre 2011s have issues with frame splitting above from shock towers, but was remedied in factory after that.

Graziano manual transmissions and 5.2L V10s are both used in other vehicles and will be manufactured since 2007 and until 2025, so parts should be relatively inexpensive and easy to source.... labor on the other hand... I had to change my battery and let's just say it was absolutely designed to make you take it to the dealership. I didn't take it and the battery is sold at autozone, but it took me about 2 hours. Will be faster next time, but would still take me over an hour for sure, and I am not THAT much of an idiot lol but the windshield wipers come off and the trunk gets removed and lights need un-harnessed

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Thanks for the background info. I have to wonder if any of those issues would surface in a gen 2 NSX. My research has shown that it is among the most reliable supercars out there.

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Today I had my second test drive with the Emira, incidentally with the exact same car as my drive last year, as the one that was supposed to be at the dealership was pulled out either (not sure if it went elsewhere or had issues?) Regardless, I was excited to get behind the wheel again, and now that I have purchased a gen 1 Audi R8 with a V10 and gated manual, I thought I could share my thoughts with anyone who may be considering between these two cars.

You can dig way back to my other thoughts about my first test drive, or my comparison to the 718 GT4, if you really care to have any background on my history or thoughts. Some new, relevant context to keep in mind was that right before my test drive I did find out I would not be qualifying for FE 2.0 as I was expecting, but am next 1-2 people in line if anyone else drops out, so that was a bit sad. I also did not push the car nearly as hard as I did in my first test drive, as conditions were a bit damp and rainy, and traffic was MUCH heavier.

Main differences:

Acceleration is not even close, R8 is in a different league. After coincidentally driving about half a dozen vehicles in the last two days, I have to say the acceleration of the Emira feels very comparable to my old STi, which was a bit underwhelming, but also a bit refreshing. My R8 has so much that I can basically never put my foot down, at least where I live. Always restraining in some way. I was able to put my foot the whole way down on the Emira and still felt like I could of used a bit more punch, but loved that I didn't need to hold back. And still PLENTY for the steet. I do have to say, I think I would miss those highway ramp pull butterflies long term from the R8.

Steering feel is not even close, Emira is in a different league than the R8 (or 718 GT4). Just an a joy to take around the turns and although I didnt get to push it this time around, it was obvious and telling when I immediately had more feedback than the Audi upon basically just starting out. I would miss the confidence the Emira gives in the turns. No such thing as a perfect car, eh?

Less significant differences/ observations:
  • Cars are surprisingly similar sizes
  • People can't tell when you are driving a gated V10 R8, but those who know get VERY excited, whereas the Emira will get more attention from the average non-enthusiast in my opinion. Could be good or bad, depending on your personality or goals.
  • In this case, R8 looks more professional+classy, Emira looks more sporty+fun (color plays a big role here I bet)
  • Driving position, cockpit, and pedal stiffnesses and placement are better in the R8
  • Interior finish and visual design are better in the Emira
  • Both have great sound, but 8750 rpm redline has me spoiled
  • Controversially liked the shifter feel better in the Emira, don't burn me
Again, nothing particularly groundbreaking to present here, just thought someone may find this helpful possibly. Overall, for the price hikes, current issues to be ironed out, and horrible CS with Lotus Corporate, I feel that I got a better deal with the R8 and have an overall better experience, but definitely want a friend who has an Emira so I can experience the handling every now and again. What's the saying about boats; "the best boat is the one your friend owns?" R8 is no slouch in the twisties and definitely not in the straights... genuinely just feels like more car for the money. My mind is not totally made up, and I still have not pulled my deposit and could still do a trade-in, but now knowing I am not even in the next round of FEs, I feel very confident in my choice for the present.

Pics to follow, pardon the fact that both cars are filthy... the weather was on and off the last few days.
@SmallerBaller, I just wanted to say that I've enjoyed reading your takes on this journey and appreciate what I consider to be objective feedback in a world where bias typically rules the day.

I don't doubt that the 5.2L V10 in the R8 trounces the Emira in a straight line and that 'hit it on the onramp' feeling is something that absolutely appeals to me as well. That said, the more I've thought about it these past few many months waiting for the Emira, the more I realize how much the 'MORE HP = MORE BETTER' mantra has negatively permeated much of the automotive world.

For me, it's been refreshing to have anticipation about having a car that is absolutely stunning, fun to drive, and has world class handling/steering that makes you smile around every turn even though it's not a stoplight warrior. Maybe I'm getting old (still in my 30s but not for too many more years), but to me street racing--even just the short, fun, controlled type--is never really worth the risk. I think too many people get hung up on numbers to their own detriment and end up missing out on a lot of fun to be had in cars like the Emira. I mean how many times have we ever told someone we are getting a new sporty car and the first question is, "SWEET HOW MUCH HP???"

Would I love for the Emira to deliver all those things AND have the breathtaking 'blast up the on-ramp' acceleration? Sure. However, then I'd bet we'd all be spending $150K+ on it and I'm not sure it'd be worth it. I take the GT4RS as sort of the 'ideal' car in the context that it would give you all of the above but it barely seems to be really attainable under $200K in the U.S. and it STILL looks ugly next to the Emira (which I know is subjective but I'd also bet 9 out of 10 would agree).

Anyways, just sharing some thoughts from this post of yours after having read many others in the past. Keep your deposit! I don't think you'll regret it! :)

Last edited:

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
I must have driven another Lotus Emira. The fit and finish was average at best. R8 is surely better, no?

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
@SmallerBaller, I just wanted to say that I've enjoyed reading your takes on this journey and appreciate what I consider to be objective feedback in a world where bias typically rules the day.

I don't doubt that the 5.2L V10 in the R8 trounces the Emira in a straight line and that 'hit it on the onramp' feeling is something that absolutely appeals to me as well. That said, the more I've thought about it these past few many months waiting for the Emira, the more I realize how much the 'MORE HP = MORE BETTER' mantra has negatively permeated much of the automotive world.

For me, it's been refreshing to have anticipation about having a car that is absolutely stunning, fun to drive, and has world class handling/steering that makes you smile around every turn even though it's not a stoplight warrior. Maybe I'm getting old (still in my 30s but not for too many more years), but to me street racing--even just the short, fun, controlled type--is never really worth the risk. I think too many people get hung up on numbers to their own detriment and end up missing out on a lot of fun to be had in cars like the Emira. I mean how many times have we ever told someone we are getting a new sporty car and the first question is, "SWEET HOW MUCH HP???"

Would I love for the Emira to deliver all those things AND have the breathtaking 'blast up the on-ramp' acceleration? Sure. However, then I'd bet we'd all be spending $150K+ on it and I'm not sure it'd be worth it. I take the GT4RS as sort of the 'ideal' car in the context that it would give you all of the above but it barely seems to be really attainable under $200K in the U.S. and it STILL looks ugly next to the Emira (which I know is subjective but I'd also bet 9 out of 10 would agree).

Anyways, just sharing some thoughts from this post of yours after having read many others in the past. Keep your deposit! I don't think you'll regret it! :)
I appreciate the kind words!

You're absolutely right about power figures... especially in a world of Hellcats and Teslas, the Emira is incredibly engaging. It is definitely a steering sensation that is hard to emulate elsewhere unless you go with another more raw Lotus or something of the like. There is also no way I could keep up with someone driving a dual clutch R8 off a light, not that I would even attempt, but I bet I am having more fun!! There is definitely, definitely something to be said about driver engagement being a more important factor to an enthusiast.

Plus, as you said, the road isn't a racetrack, so the more fun you can have within the limits of yourself, your car, and the street, the better!

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I must have driven another Lotus Emira. The fit and finish was average at best. R8 is surely better, no?
A gen 2 R8 (2016+) has a much more refined interior! Gen 1 is fairly standard. This is not my car, this is some image I just ripped from google with an autobox, but looks the same basically
2012_audi_r8_dashboard.jpg

EZcheezy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
i did the exact same research while trying to decide on my next manual car. ultimately went with Emira cuz:

1. looks way way way better. subjective i know, but the older R8 look pretty dated to me while the Emira is probably the most gorgeous new car you can buy (thats not 200k+)
2. more modern interior
3. can buy new
4. Emira better handling/driving feel

R8 pretty amazing tho for a long time I thought it was going to be my next one

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
To me the Audi looks like a corporate production car, whereas the Emira looks like nothing else on the road. The Emira looks exotic and sexy because that's the functionality of the shape; there's nothing fake or unnecessary about it. To put it in human terms, there isn't any 'make-up' on it's face. That front is pure function; there isn't even a cosmetic plastic silver grill.

That's possibly why it gets so much attention, because you just don't see that kind of shape on the road. It stands out immediately. Because I'm a car enthusiast, I would notice the Audi, but the average person? I doubt it would even register on their consciousness. However the Emira immediately grabs your attention, regardless of whether you're an enthusiast or not.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
To me the Audi looks like a corporate production car, whereas the Emira looks like nothing else on the road. The Emira looks exotic and sexy because that's the functionality of the shape; there's nothing fake or unnecessary about it. To put it in human terms, there isn't any 'make-up' on it's face. That front is pure function; there isn't even a cosmetic plastic silver grill.

That's possibly why it gets so much attention, because you just don't see that kind of shape on the road. It stands out immediately. Because I'm a car enthusiast, I would notice the Audi, but the average person? I doubt it would even register on their consciousness. However the Emira immediately grabs your attention, regardless of whether you're an enthusiast or not.
This is so far from the truth it made me laugh out loud. The R8 breaks necks non stop. People lean out of cars to take pictures and still gets ton of attention. I have had many small kids place their hands on their face mouth wide open in amazement. Why do people make comments about cars they do not own like they know what they are talking about?

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score

This is so far from the truth it made me laugh out loud. The R8 breaks necks non stop. People lean out of cars to take pictures and still gets ton of attention. I have had many small kids place their hands on their face mouth wide open in amazement. Why do people make comments about cars they do not own like they know what they are talking about?
Both of these are kind of true, but probably less extreme than either! I do think the Audi has a less stand-out silhouette, but lots of people definitely compliment it and rubberneck. Leaning out the window while driving with phones and thumbs ups, pictures while parked, looking inside, conversations at gas stations, etc. I do genuinely think that you would get even more of the same kind of attention in an Emira, largely due to the body shape!

The R8 is much more common, granted not 911 common, but there is a wealthy suburb about 45 minutes from me that I used to deliver food in a couple years ago, and in a single day I had seen 3 R8s (2 V10s and 1 V8, but the normal person may not even differentiate that). In less wealthy areas, like where I actually live, I have had people tell me they have literally never seen one in person in their life and shake my hand. To both points in my short experience, I don't think anyone has been wide-mouthed in amazement so far, and I have experienced the average non-enthusiast knowing that they are looking at something special in a parking lot.

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
i did the exact same research while trying to decide on my next manual car. ultimately went with Emira cuz:

1. looks way way way better. subjective i know, but the older R8 look pretty dated to me while the Emira is probably the most gorgeous new car you can buy (thats not 200k+)
2. more modern interior
3. can buy new
4. Emira better handling/driving feel

R8 pretty amazing tho for a long time I thought it was going to be my next one
It is an awesome car! For the longest time my dream was that I would end up in a 90s NSX, but options and opinions change! I am glad you have settled on what suits you best, very exciting!

OP
SmallerBaller

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the background info. I have to wonder if any of those issues would surface in a gen 2 NSX. My research has shown that it is among the most reliable supercars out there.
I considered that and made a post on this forum asking if anyone owned one... there is comparatively very little info out there, but I did find that there was a fairly sizeable buyback at least on the early gen 2 NSX. Seems like a mixed bag of them either being lemons or super solid on a case to case basis. I do know there is an engine out service that is EXPENSIVE that comes at 75k miles, if you kept it that long!

To your point, I will say that it was designed and built in America, unlike the first gen NSX, and like the corvette. I am a huge Honda boy, but I have to say my confidence in them has gone down in the last 5 years. Much of this isnt exactly their fault, but issues stemming from emissions compliance like mass use of CVTs and heavy reliance on the 1.5L turbo engine living in the almost unbeatable shadow of the K series. Obviously the NSX had a special team and drivetrain specialized for only that application, but my personal confidence has decreased.

That said, I could find only find nuggets of information and I am just an a dude one the internet, so don't let my personal opinion on their non-luxury models dissuade you! I love Hondas and would absolutely love to see you pick one up and post some pictures for us on here!

Peeltone

Reaction score
The Emira feels similar in speed to R8 V8, I’ve got a Gen 1 V8. The R8 engine is nice free revving and higher red line.

The Emira handling is better it feels like a much smaller car and more complaint. I’ve just replaced my mag rides with passive dampers they are £1,800 a pop to replace so i thought I would try the passives rather than them going again in a bit they’re a crap design.

Gear change is similar probably quicker in Emira due to the gate on the R8 but both feel good to shift.

Driving position for both is good I find it easier to heel and toe the Emira.

Stock exhaust Emira sounds better from the cabin the R8 is relatively quiet.

They are very different generations of cars so not much point comparing interior. The R8 is still solid at 15 years old with only a couple of squeaks occasionally now.

The R8 will be more costly to run they are expensive on parts especially dampers and brakes.

Both lovely :)

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Of course it did. Maybe it does where you are, but not where I am. Porsches, Audis, Mercedes, etc. are almost invisible here. Believe it or not, the cars that tend to get the most attention are retro cars. We have a fairly decent club of retro car enthusiasts who have some really nice machines. Those tend to get a lot of attention on the road. The modern stuff? Not so much.

Sjetware

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Emira feels similar in speed to R8 V8, I’ve got a Gen 1 V8. The R8 engine is nice free revving and higher red line.

The Emira handling is better it feels like a much smaller car and more complaint. I’ve just replaced my mag rides with passive dampers they are £1,800 a pop to replace so i thought I would try the passives rather than them going again in a bit they’re a crap design.

Gear change is similar probably quicker in Emira due to the gate on the R8 but both feel good to shift.

Driving position for both is good I find it easier to heel and toe the Emira.

Stock exhaust Emira sounds better from the cabin the R8 is relatively quiet.

They are very different generations of cars so not much point comparing interior. The R8 is still solid at 15 years old with only a couple of squeaks occasionally now.

The R8 will be more costly to run they are expensive on parts especially dampers and brakes.

Both lovely :)
This seems like a relatively balanced review, and makes me excited. I had a V8 r8 and enjoyed it immensely, although I did remedy the quiet exhaust with an aftermarket option from fabspeed.

I look forward to getting the same experience from my emira then!

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I considered that and made a post on this forum asking if anyone owned one... there is comparatively very little info out there, but I did find that there was a fairly sizeable buyback at least on the early gen 2 NSX. Seems like a mixed bag of them either being lemons or super solid on a case to case basis. I do know there is an engine out service that is EXPENSIVE that comes at 75k miles, if you kept it that long!

To your point, I will say that it was designed and built in America, unlike the first gen NSX, and like the corvette. I am a huge Honda boy, but I have to say my confidence in them has gone down in the last 5 years. Much of this isnt exactly their fault, but issues stemming from emissions compliance like mass use of CVTs and heavy reliance on the 1.5L turbo engine living in the almost unbeatable shadow of the K series. Obviously the NSX had a special team and drivetrain specialized for only that application, but my personal confidence has decreased.

That said, I could find only find nuggets of information and I am just an a dude one the internet, so don't let my personal opinion on their non-luxury models dissuade you! I love Hondas and would absolutely love to see you pick one up and post some pictures for us on here!
I don't want to steer this topic too far away but check out nsxprime.com. I've been getting some good info on that site. Of course, the low number of production units means that traffic at the site is not very heavy. Pat at Pat's garage on youtube has a gen 2 NSX, although I'm not positive that he still has it. He used to have a BMW i8 for which he produced many tips and tricks. After watching him change the oil in his NSX, I think I'd have it done if I get an NSX and don't buy a lift.
Used 2017 NSXs are very close to a loaded Emira in price.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Of course it did. Maybe it does where you are, but not where I am. Porsches, Audis, Mercedes, etc. are almost invisible here. Believe it or not, the cars that tend to get the most attention are retro cars. We have a fairly decent club of retro car enthusiasts who have some really nice machines. Those tend to get a lot of attention on the road. The modern stuff? Not so much.
I have always been curious about how people arrive at comments about what cars get attention. I‘m genuinely asking you because I would like to know. In my mind the person making this statement would need to be driving one of these cars that do not get attention. So unless you drive a R8 or Gt3 how would a person know if it is getting attention? To me old cars get zero attention from me. I never drive hot rods so I would not know if they actually get attention. Is my logic flawed?