• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira tyres (or tires)

DF_Toronto

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I have my test drive on Wednesday. I’m still very undecided on the suspension and tire setup which the test drive may help with. I think it’s a no brainer to go touring and Goodyear if it’s a daily driver, and sport and cup 2 if you have a few cars and it’s a track toy. Myself which I’m sure like many others will have the Emira as a second car in a manual in a busy city that will take it out primarily on weekends outside of rush hour traffic. May or may not take it on the track on occasion but do want the best version of the car for a spirited Sunday drive. Bad weather or rush hour, there’s my Mercedes cabriolet which will likely get replaced with an electric SUV (have early Eletre deposit).

So my question is if I did go with the sport and cup 2….on the rare couple scenarios would it be a problem to take it out if I have the itch to drive it:
1) nice summer evening to a restaurant through city roads with forecast that it may be pouring on the drive home.
2) gorgeous blue sky Sunday morning in the winter with clear dry roads and temperature in the -5 to +5 degrees Celsius range.

I’ll emphasize that likely 95% of the time this is a second car to be used primarily on nice summer days. But you never know with a car like this when the itch may strike to take it out in those scenarios - would you need to worry about safety and therefore not be able to use it and wish you’d gone with a more practical setup? Or would the feel and performance of the 95% usage outweigh the discipline to never take it out with the possibility of bad weather?

*edit - obviously sport suspension with Goodyear would alleviate potential safety issues, but not sure how well that combo works for those who’ve driven the car in that config vs just getting the touring with Goodyear.

Moderator edit: copied from another thread and edited to start new thread about tyre/tire choices.

Last edited by a moderator:

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
In your two scenarios:

1) Rainy drive home: if the roads are damp it'll be fine, if there's a lot of standing water then just ease off the speed a bit more than usual. Look out for places that might have diesel or oil on the road too, if light rain is likely to lift that. And keep it in Tour drive mode to get the most traction control assistance.

2) Low temperatures: both Cup2s and Eagles will start becoming compromised on grip below 6-7 degrees. It doesn't go from 100% to 0% below 5 degrees, but you'll notice it and slightly more so on the Cup2s. If you're driving within your limits rather than 10/10ths then it should be fine.

If you get a chance to do some skid pan/low grip driver training using the car, it'll help you get a feel for how it handles in unusual conditions.

Some of the journalists who've driven Sports + Eagles have given mixed views, mainly because the handling isn't as sharp as the Cup2s. But for use in typical weather conditions (at least in UK, I can't vouch for Canada) it's a good all-rounder.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I went with Sports and Goodyears as I knew it would be an all year car but, I have to say, those CUP2s were not an issue in the slightest and the road was mostly damp.

Same wheel/tire spec here. I've since learned these newer version Cup2s have a better wear rating too. I'm tempted to change my spec. Shouldn't be an issue since NA production doesn't start until January. :unsure:

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Yeah, I am tempted now to get some CUP2s anyway and keep them for next summer and track use.

Then again, at some point we will hear of a car wearing MPS4 or similar as that might be interesting.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Cup2 Connect 240 are also much more rain friendly than the Cup2 of the past.

Not sure what the Emira comes with.

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yeah, I am tempted now to get some CUP2s anyway and keep them for next summer and track use.

Then again, at some point we will hear of a car wearing MPS4 or similar as that might be interesting.
I've had PS4s over the past few years and found them excellent. If I don't like the Goodyears on Touring, I'll change them for PS4s, and tweak the geo to suit.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think they are the Connect 240s... Maybe someone can confirm?
Confirmed in a previous thread as those are the only Cup2's that carry the LTS (Lotus) OEM spec.

Wait what?? Why would Lotus call them "Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2" when the "Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 Connect 240" is a materially different product? Just the marketing people getting mad about the length of the name?

If I had known they were shipping these with the 240 tire I would have chosen that spec rather than the Goodyear.
Standard Cup 2: https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tires/michelin-pilot-sport-cup-2
Cup 2 Connect 240: https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tires/michelin-pilot-sport-cup-2-connect

Verified Cup 2 Connect 240, in Michelin's listing as LTS marked, and matches Emira's sizes.

Front:
1667246434618.png

Rear:
1667246467283.png

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait what?? Why would Lotus call them "Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2" when the "Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 Connect 240" is a materially different product? Just the marketing people getting mad about the length of the name?

If I had known they were shipping these with the 240 tire I would have chosen that spec rather than the Goodyear.
Standard Cup 2: https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tires/michelin-pilot-sport-cup-2
Cup 2 Connect 240: https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tires/michelin-pilot-sport-cup-2-connect

Verified Cup 2 Connect 240, in Michelin's listing as LTS marked, and matches Emira's sizes.

Front:
View attachment 10335

Rear:
View attachment 10336

Yeah, I'll be calling my dealer to adjust my tire spec as soon as I get confirmation back from Lotus that the OEMs are in fact Connect 240s.

First Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
So someone told me the starting tread depth on the cup 2's starts at less... Does anyone know if this is the case?
Is there a different wear rating?
I will certainly be driving this each month of the year, but if its really cold I'll probably take my pick up or nick the wife's car. So unlikely to drive it under 8'C.

OP
DF_Toronto

DF_Toronto

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
In your two scenarios:

1) Rainy drive home: if the roads are damp it'll be fine, if there's a lot of standing water then just ease off the speed a bit more than usual. Look out for places that might have diesel or oil on the road too, if light rain is likely to lift that. And keep it in Tour drive mode to get the most traction control assistance.

2) Low temperatures: both Cup2s and Eagles will start becoming compromised on grip below 6-7 degrees. It doesn't go from 100% to 0% below 5 degrees, but you'll notice it and slightly more so on the Cup2s. If you're driving within your limits rather than 10/10ths then it should be fine.

If you get a chance to do some skid pan/low grip driver training using the car, it'll help you get a feel for how it handles in unusual conditions.

Some of the journalists who've driven Sports + Eagles have given mixed views, mainly because the handling isn't as sharp as the Cup2s. But for use in typical weather conditions (at least in UK, I can't vouch for Canada) it's a good all-rounder.
Thanks Tom, very helpful! This time of year here we can already get a snowfall any day but it’s been very pleasant and will be 16 and sunny for test drive day. Those occasions certainly wouldn’t be pushing the car, best comp I can give would be driving carefully in a regular car with all season or even snow tired when it’s snowing or there’s ice on the road and you can be driving defensively and get unlucky and skid and have an accident. Having never driven a sports car with Cup 2s I obviously assume it’s not to that extreme but would just want to know the car is fine to drive normally in those conditions and would only react that way if you’re pushing it in those conditions.

*EDIT - Ok I spoke to my friend who’s got 5 sports cars all with Cup2s (drives them year round and changes them all to winters), he says they’re incredible and nothing comes close but hard to get much out of them to take advantage vs regular sports tire on public road. Says danger is driving them in rain when there’s any water pooling and will have your butt clenched on the highway in those conditions but if caught in that and take a slower off highway route you don’t need to be on edge. Regarding driving them on a nice winter day, he says the issue is you damage the tire if you use them below 5 degrees.

Last edited:

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll be calling my dealer to adjust my tire spec as soon as I get confirmation back from Lotus that the OEMs are in fact Connect 240s.

This was the response from Lotus CS... 🙄

"The full wheel specs have not been released yet. There will be both the Goodyear F1’s and Michele Pilot Cup 2’s with LTS designations available around the same timing as the car landing here in the US. Both tire models with the LTS designation were developed specifically for the Emira."

centerpunch

Reaction score
So someone told me the starting tread depth on the cup 2's starts at less... Does anyone know if this is the case?
Is there a different wear rating?

(Specs from tirerack.com)

A normal street Pilot Sport 4 has 320 wear rating and 9.5/32” tread depth. (.30” or 7.5 mm)

The streetable “Track” Pilot Sport Cup 2 and 2R tires have 140 or 180 wear rating, and 5.5/32” tread depth. (.17” or 4.4mm)

These new tires have 240 wear rating and 7.2/32” tread depth (.23” or 5.7 mm), both low for a street tire, so they won’t last long, but will be fun while they last.

The ”connect” designation means they are compatible with a separate internal temperature monitoring system.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
One thing that concerns me about changing my spec to the Cup 2 is the warning not to store them near or below freezing temps. My garage is detached with no climate control so it will definitely get below freezing in the winter months... 🤔

the MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport Cup 2 Connect (240) is not intended to be stored, serviced, nor driven in near-freezing temperatures, through slush, snow or on ice

@TomE we've seemed to digress a bit from the thread's original topic. Is there a tire thread these comments should be moved to?

Moderator edit: posts moved to this new thread

Last edited by a moderator: