Emira rolling resistance

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Question for anyone who is going to do a test drive, or someone who has their car: How easily does the car roll forward when it's in gear but no throttle input, and how easily does it roll forward when it's not in gear?

For example, let's say you're going along at a steady speed in 3rd. Take your foot off the gas pedal and see how quickly the car slows down while still in gear. Now do the same thing only put the trans in neutral. How quickly does the car slow down simply coasting while not in gear?

I can't remember if it was Russell or Gavin who said the Emira body generates more downforce than any previous Lotus, but after watching that Merry Driftmas video, I'm wondering if the increased downforce of the Emira is creating just enough resistance to forward motion, to make the acceleration seem unremarkable; especially compared to the Evora?

The extra downforce is great for enabling the car to hold speed in the corners, but that would also change the feeling of acceleration in a straight line.

An even better test would be if two people with an Evora and Emira can do a side by side test. Same speed, same gear, then back off the throttle while in gear. See if the Emira noticeably slows down quicker. Try the same thing only just put the gear in neutral.

Just an idea. I'm also working on a couple other thoughts regarding this if it turns out to be true.

I realize this is not what you are looking for, but IMO a lot of us test driving the Emira are used to the torque in turbocharged cars (myself included) or maybe cars with bigger hp/tq figures.

I drive my stock Evora GT back to back with a stock Supra (with B58). The Evora feels slower, but the speedo surprises me.

Also, not sure how much downforce would impact acceleration at double digit speeds. Maybe if you compare it to a Hummer.

I could be wrong, but I doubt any negative impact on acceleration can be actually felt by the increased downforce on the Emira. Downforce is generated at higher speeds and given the weight and power of the Emira, I don't think straight line acceleration would suffer at all. The Emira is no F1 car!

I'm honestly not looking for acceleration info as much as I'm interested in its forward inertia. How quickly does it slow down when not under power. I realize anyone's impressions will be just that, but it would at least tell me if there's enough momentum loss to be noticeable.

During my test drive, it slowed around 45-50 mph in gear somewhat significantly, but coasted in neutral just like any other car. The feeling from slowing down in gear without throttle was a similar sensation, but less present, than in a modern STi... sort of that light dif whine that you can sort of feel dragging you back down a bit, but lighter, if that makes sense at all to anyone. Certainly doesnt have the momentum of a full-size pickup where it can just keep rolling. It did not feel like a light weight/ wind resistance/ lack of power issue like it does in smaller vehicles like Corollas, where when you let off it just immediately drops off (thank God, I wouldnt expect it to behave this way). More of a mechanical feeling, lightly dropping your momentum. Hope this helps, but it is probably too vague since I don't have any numbers and it was just something I noticed on the highway briefly and didnt put any more thought into it!

During my test drive, it slowed around 45-50 mph in gear somewhat significantly, but coasted in neutral just like any other car. The feeling from slowing down in gear without throttle was a similar sensation, but less present, than in a modern STi... sort of that light dif whine that you can sort of feel dragging you back down a bit, but lighter, if that makes sense at all to anyone. Certainly doesnt have the momentum of a full-size pickup where it can just keep rolling. It did not feel like a light weight/ wind resistance/ lack of power issue like it does in smaller vehicles like Corollas, where when you let off it just immediately drops off (thank God, I wouldnt expect it to behave this way). More of a mechanical feeling, lightly dropping your momentum. Hope this helps, but it is probably too vague since I don't have any numbers and it was just something I noticed on the highway briefly and didnt put any more thought into it!
Thank you! That's what I was interested in.