• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira in Los Angeles!

christophermalex

Reaction score
Just got my email for the event at Galpin Lotus in Los Angeles. Odd they are doing this the same weekend of the LA Auto Show but are not taking the car there according to the dealership. I've been told they have over 200 deposits and I'm not surprised given they are the only dealer in the area (unless you go down the rabbit hole of thinking OC Lotus is still around). Planning to bring my young sons to the event.

1635530351254.png

RapidLotus

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I think Lotus UK is really missing the boat when they intentionally AVOID major shows. They should have a car for the major shows and a second car for the original tour to dealers. Come on Lotus, how hard is that to do? You need to act like the big boys if you want to play in their league.

OP
christophermalex

christophermalex

Reaction score
Yeah I'm torn. Part of me is hoping Lotus' poor marketing strategy turns a lot of people off so that the more bespoke and unique nature of owning a Lotus stays that way. If they figure out customer service and marketing and I start seeing Emiras as frequently as I see Caymans and even C8's here in SoCal it may make my eyes wander a bit to other options.

RapidLotus

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The quantity of Emiras being sent to the US makes me think I might want to get an Evora GT to be in the minority. It may be more valuable down the road. But the looks and the sexiness of the Emira may still keep me hooked.

cdn_alien

Reaction score
Does anyone know how good Galpin is to deal with? I tried to get confirmation about this event and perhaps an invitation, and they didn't seem interested or even knew anything about this event. I said I was interested in viewing and/or buying an Emira, and they said "new or pre-owned"!?

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Does anyone know how good Galpin is to deal with? I tried to get confirmation about this event and perhaps an invitation, and they didn't seem interested or even knew anything about this event. I said I was interested in viewing and/or buying an Emira, and they said "new or pre-owned"!?
Brutal. If I worked at a Dealer I’d be on this forum to learn about the car…

OP
christophermalex

christophermalex

Reaction score
It sounds like you may have been trying to chat “with them” via the website. That’s just a bot that gives pre-programmed answers based on your text. I asked it a few questions about Emira before I realized it was time to email the sales team directly. That’s when I got my answers and put down my deposit (which is why I got the invite to the event. I doubt they are opening it up beyond those that have placed deposits). They are my only option in LA so figure I will see how this process goes with them.

OP
christophermalex

christophermalex

Reaction score
Took my 6 year-old to the Preview Event on Saturday and it was a mixed bag if I'm being honest. It was really great seeing his reaction to all the cars and a great way to make the Emira buying experience something we share together. Despite any of my criticism below I am still extremely excited to confirm my build options when I get my call. Here are my honest takeaways:
  1. Biggest surprise for me was how much this event actually had me drawn to the Evora GT's that they had in (5) different colors throughout the dealership. My son got to test out the back seats and those cars feel so racy, analog and fast standing still that I am seriously considering picking one up as a bridge to whenever my i4 comes across the pond (and future track car while keeping the Emira for touring). I am trying to understand what would draw someone in need of the V6 manual to the Emira since it seems to me it's a re-skinned Evora. What has the "purists" so convinced that this isn't the case if you opt for the Toyota? I like the idea of being part of something new with the AMG engine offering options down the road for further tuning.
  2. There were so many people in such a small space for the unveiling of the car that I basically got to view it in 3-foot sections as opposed to being able to stand back and take in the full silhouette. If I wasn't with my son I may have had a better chance to step back once the crowd cleared out later in the evening, but I haven't seen any photos or videos from those that attended even though there was no shortage of amateur videographers hovering all evening.
  3. I was already disappointed I was seeing the Shadow Grey version with the alloy wheels so things got worse when it turned out that the batteries were too low for the displays to even function while getting a chance to sit in the car. Without the displays on, and with the alcantara/grey stitch throughout, the interior turns out to be quite disappointing. After sitting in the dramatic interiors of the racy Evora GT's this felt like being inside a sporty sedan not a sports/junior supercar as advertised. Makes me feel justified in my leanings towards Ice Grey or Red interior in the configurator. If Lotus' desire is focused on daily drivers that need something feeling more like their standard BMW black leather interior then they've hit the nail on the head with this car making the rounds as their prime marketing tool to the US audience (or they could just have charged batteries for when hundreds of people are there to get first impressions of their car)
  4. Low batteries also meant the seat was set as far back as possible and unable to be adjusted. I'm 6'-0" tall and could not get any sense of real driving position, so I could only imagine what shorter folks may have thought. One more example of how useless this event was for me getting an actual sense of the car outside of seeing the buzz it has drawn (warranted or not).
  5. Despite items 1-4 above....... The event absolutely supported my newfound interest in Lotus as a brand. I've been considering all my options for my first sports car and feel like everything else (especially in LA) just fades into the crowd, but a Lotus will always be something unique and the Emira (in proper colors and batteries properly charged) will be a great car to enjoy with my boys as they grow up.... and maybe an Evora will be in the garage in the meantime so we can cruise with their sister in the backseat.

Attachments

• IMG_6499.JPG
    IMG_6499.JPG
    340.9 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_6512.JPG
    IMG_6512.JPG
    309.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_6515.JPG
    IMG_6515.JPG
    316.7 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_6518.JPG
    IMG_6518.JPG
    371.6 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_6519.JPG
    IMG_6519.JPG
    314.8 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_6520.JPG
    IMG_6520.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_6525.JPG
    IMG_6525.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 168

morphious

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
@christophermalex I couldn't agree with you more on your points. I look forward to configuring my Emira, but the Evora's really popped and stood out a bit more than the Emira in the color combo they had for the reveal.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I’d love to give them credit for doing that and getting people to buy the car as an in-between (like I did). :)

cdn_alien

Reaction score
Chris,

Thank you for your honest assessment of the showing. It sounds like I didn’t miss much. After 15 years of owning two Lotus cars, I can’t help but think that Lotus‘ declining presence in North America just started to accelerate with the introduction of the Emira. I was already in LA for the auto show (no lotus presence), not being allowed to see the new Emira at a local dealership, and then attending the national Lotus Owners Gathering (LOG) in Salt Lake just two months ago, where the Evija, Emira, and the Managing Director decided not to show up there either. How do they expect current Lotus owners to buy the new car when we get ignored, and in my case, not even having a dealership within 350 miles of my residence in Arizona? I bought my 2010 Evora new, and was eagerly anticipating getting the new Emira, but I guess I’m just going to keep my Evora.

cdn_alien

Reaction score
To get the screens and electric seats to work, was there a reason why they couldn’t plug in the trickle charger that comes with every Lotus?

CanadianEmira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Nice pics, thanks for your thoughts. Keep in mind you're comparing Evora GT interiors at the end of their product cycle, in their raciest form, with the fledgling Emira interiors. My hunch is that the interior will get a little more exciting as the product cycle goes on. That said, I can certainly understand your disappointment when comparing the two in that sense.

Also, I can't for the life of me understand why Lotus chose to market this car with the shadow grey. It seems to do the least for the car out of any colour option. Literally any other choice would be better in terms of grabbing a potential customer's attention.

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Took my 6 year-old to the Preview Event on Saturday and it was a mixed bag if I'm being honest. It was really great seeing his reaction to all the cars and a great way to make the Emira buying experience something we share together. Despite any of my criticism below I am still extremely excited to confirm my build options when I get my call. Here are my honest takeaways:
  1. Biggest surprise for me was how much this event actually had me drawn to the Evora GT's that they had in (5) different colors throughout the dealership. My son got to test out the back seats and those cars feel so racy, analog and fast standing still that I am seriously considering picking one up as a bridge to whenever my i4 comes across the pond (and future track car while keeping the Emira for touring). I am trying to understand what would draw someone in need of the V6 manual to the Emira since it seems to me it's a re-skinned Evora. What has the "purists" so convinced that this isn't the case if you opt for the Toyota? I like the idea of being part of something new with the AMG engine offering options down the road for further tuning.
  2. There were so many people in such a small space for the unveiling of the car that I basically got to view it in 3-foot sections as opposed to being able to stand back and take in the full silhouette. If I wasn't with my son I may have had a better chance to step back once the crowd cleared out later in the evening, but I haven't seen any photos or videos from those that attended even though there was no shortage of amateur videographers hovering all evening.
  3. I was already disappointed I was seeing the Shadow Grey version with the alloy wheels so things got worse when it turned out that the batteries were too low for the displays to even function while getting a chance to sit in the car. Without the displays on, and with the alcantara/grey stitch throughout, the interior turns out to be quite disappointing. After sitting in the dramatic interiors of the racy Evora GT's this felt like being inside a sporty sedan not a sports/junior supercar as advertised. Makes me feel justified in my leanings towards Ice Grey or Red interior in the configurator. If Lotus' desire is focused on daily drivers that need something feeling more like their standard BMW black leather interior then they've hit the nail on the head with this car making the rounds as their prime marketing tool to the US audience (or they could just have charged batteries for when hundreds of people are there to get first impressions of their car)
  4. Low batteries also meant the seat was set as far back as possible and unable to be adjusted. I'm 6'-0" tall and could not get any sense of real driving position, so I could only imagine what shorter folks may have thought. One more example of how useless this event was for me getting an actual sense of the car outside of seeing the buzz it has drawn (warranted or not).
  5. Despite items 1-4 above....... The event absolutely supported my newfound interest in Lotus as a brand. I've been considering all my options for my first sports car and feel like everything else (especially in LA) just fades into the crowd, but a Lotus will always be something unique and the Emira (in proper colors and batteries properly charged) will be a great car to enjoy with my boys as they grow up.... and maybe an Evora will be in the garage in the meantime so we can cruise with their sister in the backseat.
Don't forget that this car is a prototype.
The seats aren't the correct ones as mentioned here before.
The wheels aren't the right ones.
The infotainment is pre alpha.
Etc etc
I'd reserve judgement until the production cars get in the hands of the reviewers

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Also, I can't for the life of me understand why Lotus chose to market this car with the shadow grey. It seems to do the least for the car out of any colour option. Literally any other choice would be better in terms of grabbing a potential customer's attention.
I’m hoping (giving lots of credit) that folks at Lotus were in a room and said “dude we are coming out with this show car a bit early… let’s use the shadow grey, that way when we have all the colors painted we will get folks even more excited”… ;)

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Don't forget that this car is a prototype.
The seats aren't the correct ones as mentioned here before.
The wheels aren't the right ones.
The infotainment is pre alpha.
Etc etc
I'd reserve judgement until the production cars get in the hands of the reviewers
I don’t understand traveling around with a prototype that doesn’t represent the actual car. I’ve got a deposit down but I’m not at all digging the interior. I have tickets for this coming weekend to see the car and if I can’t really see what it will be like for real, then what’s the point?

-frustrated.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I don’t understand traveling around with a prototype that doesn’t represent the actual car. I’ve got a deposit down but I’m not at all digging the interior. I have tickets for this coming weekend to see the car and if I can’t really see what it will be like for real, then what’s the point?

-frustrated.
I’m doing my very best to flip the coin to the other side. What if we are getting a very rare look, much earlier than ever before, into their last ICE car? So instead of being left with teasers of features #Type132 we are getting a rolling mock-up. All deposits are refundable and a fantastic way to gauge interest. I’d rather have this fun sneak peek.

-optimistic ;)

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m doing my very best to flip the coin to the other side. What if we are getting a very rare look, much earlier than ever before, into their last ICE car? So instead of being left with teasers of features #Type132 we are getting a rolling mock-up. All deposits are refundable and a fantastic way to gauge interest. I’d rather have this fun sneak peek.

-optimistic ;)
Just get me the Camo now!
Inside I'll get it fixed and it has the bonus of all six colors in!