• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira i4 FE price in China announcement

Screenshot_20211119-115450.jpg

Last edited:

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Interesting, equal to $135,000 in the US. I hope our I4 FE don't go for that!
This at least makes the Canadians feel a bit better about their pricing situation.

OP
A

AbsLatte

Reaction score
I quit. For first edition at least. Bye guys and good luck.
Screenshot_20211119-184433.jpg

cjtangmi

Reaction score
That's too pricy to be honest, gonna wait for the non FE version, hope it will be about 700,000 RMB. Also, is it confirmed that the non FE version will be only 360 BHP and come with no LSD?

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yea, the Chinese buyers always get the short end of the stick. But to be honest, I'm not sure what people in china were expecting in terms of price. If we go back to our standard comparison, the Porsche GTS is 875,000 CNY to start. The loaded Emira FE is less than that.

OP
A

AbsLatte

Reaction score
Yea, the Chinese buyers always get the short end of the stick. But to be honest, I'm not sure what people in china were expecting in terms of price. If we go back to our standard comparison, the Porsche GTS is 875,000 CNY to start. The loaded Emira FE is less than that.
Some of us expect it to price like 600,000 to 700,000 CNY, about the price of Cayman not Cayman GTS.
We have to pay 11% tax and insurance which make it almost a million in total, nearly double price of UK. IT'S INCREDIBLE for 2.0T cars.

cjtangmi

Reaction score
Dumb as it sounds, Porsches have way more "prestige" factor in the Chinese market. People generally consider Lotus as a lower end brand compared to Porsche, so naturally expected price is to be lower that the 718S, let alone GTS. Personally I think they made a mistake launching the FE only, without any info about the non FE version.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It's not dumb, and I certainly understand and appreciate that Chinese consumers are very brand/label-conscious. Lotus just doesn't have the brand cachet that Porsche has. European and US consumers, especially car enthusiasts, may have some recognition of the Lotus but the brand as a whole has been a little sleepy in the past 10 years, during which China has seen a significant explosion in its car culture.

In Lotus' favor is the fact that there is a lot to discover in the brand because of its long and rich history, especially in automotive racing.

I don't know how much cheaper the base model would be in China. There is a lot that the Chinese market expects in terms of features and materials even on an "entry-level" trim.

ayoyo

Reaction score
If China gets a 400bhp i4 and we only get 360bhp I wont be buying it
Not sure how much horse power we will get with the i4 FE version. But the Chinese price is ridiculous. $137K USD for I4? No thanks. Please note that car prices in China are comparable to the U.S. due to its huge market.

Matthaus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Not sure how much horse power we will get with the i4 FE version. But the Chinese price is ridiculous. $137K USD for I4? No thanks. Please note that car prices in China are comparable to the U.S. due to its huge market.
I dont mind paying £500 more for a 400bhp remap that keeps my warrenty, after all that is all it would take :ROFLMAO: but those prices are a bit steep

Makes a change though, normally it is the Brits who pay over the odds for cars cheaper elsewhere.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If China gets a 400bhp i4 and we only get 360bhp I wont be buying it
I am hopefully that the I4 FE will be 400 everywhere. The base may still be 360. They need to get beyond the image that the I4 is a "lesser" engine.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

For domestically produced cars, maybe, but definitely not for imports. Imported cars are subject to a 25% duty, 17% VAT, and then a consumption tax based on displacement. For the 2.0T, it's 5%. This totals up to 47%.

This is one reason why imported cars are such a status symbol.

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
For domestically produced cars, maybe, but definitely not for imports. Imported cars are subject to a 25% duty, 17% VAT, and then a consumption tax based on displacement. For the 2.0T, it's 5%. This totals up to 47%.

This is one reason why imported cars are such a status symbol.
Ouch, that's pretty anti competitive practice!