Emira alternatives

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira alternatives

Half in half out on the Emira and I was so excited about it after Goodwood 2021 deposit. Should add I still think it’s an awesome car and I think there’s too much negativity on the forums about the car/Lotus but can also see people’s frustrations.

Quite a few things are effecting my decision but namely:

- Mixed reviews
- Residuals maybe not seeming as good as I thought they would be (time will tell)
- Too much time has passed/delays
- lack of info on base pricing/i4 info
- having my spec locked in for 9 months and not being able to make changes I want.
- spending too much time reading negative comments on the Forums possibly swaying my mind more than it should.

Anyways, as a result I’ve found myself starting to look on Autotrader a lot more.

Still feel the 2nd hand market is V inflated, but prices are definitely dropping, just not pre Covid levels yet and don’t want to catch a falling knife.

Is now the time to buy before we hit the spring/summer market or do people see the market dropping further?

Wanted to get some opinions on the below alternatives I’m considering and see what others are looking at. I should add I haven’t driven any of the below. 34 years old, moved out of London, so this will be my first proper sports car hence the intrigue Got a Caterham 420R but classed that as more of a toy.

Sensible options

911 991.2 GTS - awesome car and could do with the extra two seats. Prices still quite inflated but dropping. Amazing reviews and should hold value well.

Jag f type SVR - almost half original price for a 2017/2018 20-30k miles. So better value than the Porsche but maybe more of a GT but sounds great.

BMW M4. Another with 4 seats, but can’t say I love it.

Used Emira- if residuals aren't holding well, is the sensible thing to do, wait for volumes to increase and pick up a 6m- 1 y Emira with a nice discount

Less sensible options

Mclaren 570 or 650 s

Seem very good value, considering the 650s was plus £220k + new. Also, sounds like could be nearing the bottom of the deprecation curve after losing near 60% of new value. HOWEVER have heard horror stories on reliability etc. But would the lack of depreciation not off set this…….

Aston Martin Vantage ( new model)

Actually really like this car but can’t get on with the interior, seems very dated. Servicing expensive and likely more to depreciate.

I’d imagine any of the above options, as used buys will likely depreciate, slower than the New Emira, especially if approx 35% depreciation after 3 years as others have quoted happens. I think the Emira will hold its value better than that on looks alone but who knows. Imagine a 2018 Porsche as a comparison would probably depreciate about 18% over 3 years in comparison.

The problem I keep coming back to, is I don’t think any of the above look as good as the Emira which is a big part of the car for me. In fact I don’t think I’ve seen many cars ever that look good as the Emira. Could wait for the base I4, so can spec how i want, as the “special first edition” badge has totally lost all appeal for me and can’t believe they are still being offered today (all it seems to get you is a crappy stereo and some other options I wouldn’t normally spec). I have two deposits down, but the base i4 is Q2 2024.

Analysis paralysis which is why thought I get others thoughts . Head and heart, not sure who’s going to win yet…..

Need to get some test drives booked in ASAP. Emira due in March!

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Emira alternatives

Half in half out on the Emira and I was so excited about it after Goodwood 2021 deposit. Should add I still think it’s an awesome car and I think there’s too much negativity on the forums about the car/Lotus but can also see people’s frustrations.

- Mixed reviews
- Residuals maybe not seeming as good as I thought they would be (time will tell)
- having my spec locked in for 9 months and not being able to make changes I want.
- spending too much time reading negative comments on the Forums possibly swaying my mind more than it should.

Anyways, as a result I’ve found myself starting to look on Autotrader a lot more.

Still feel the 2nd hand market is V inflated, but prices are definitely dropping, just not pre Covid levels yet and don’t want to catch a falling knife.

Is now the time to buy before we hit the spring/summer market or do people see the market dropping further?

Wanted to get some opinions on the below alternatives I’m considering and see what others are looking at. I should add I haven’t driven any of the below. 34 years old, moved out of London, so this will be my first proper sports car hence the intrigue Got a Caterham 420R but classed that as more of a toy.

Sensible options

911 991.2 GTS - awesome car and could do with the extra two seats. Prices still quite inflated but dropping. Amazing reviews and should hold value well.

Jag f type SVR - almost half original price for a 2017/2018 20-30k miles. So better value than the Porsche but maybe more of a GT but sounds great.

Used Emira- if residuals aren't holding well, is the sensible thing to do, wait for volumes to increase and pick up a 6m- 1 y Emira with a nice discount

Less sensible options

Mclaren 570 or 650 s

Seem very good value, considering the 650s was plus £220k + new. Also, sounds like could be nearing the bottom of the deprecation curve after losing near 60% of new value. HOWEVER have heard horror stories on reliability etc. But would the lack of depreciation not off set this…….

Actually really like this car but can’t get on with the interior, seems very dated. Servicing expensive and likely more to depreciate.

I’d imagine any of the above options, as used buys will likely depreciate, slower than the New Emira, especially if approx 35% depreciation after 3 years as others have quoted happens. I think the Emira will hold its value better than that on looks alone but who knows. Imagine a 2018 Porsche as a comparison would probably depreciate about 18% over 3 years in comparison.

The problem I keep coming back to, is I don’t think any of the above look as good as the Emira which is a big part of the car for me. In fact I don’t think I’ve seen many cars ever that look good as the Emira. Could wait for the base I4, so can spec how i want, as the “special first edition” badge has totally lost all appeal for me and can’t believe they are still being offered today (all it seems to get you is a crappy stereo and some other options I wouldn’t normally spec). I have two deposits down, but the base i4 is Q2 2024.

Analysis paralysis which is why thought I get others thoughts . Head and heart, not sure who’s going to win yet…..

How about the Alpine A110? I got mine at the end of last year as a stop gap as the long wait for my V6 auto continues. I've been really pleased with it. Although it doesn't have the looks of some of the cars in your list, the performance is great, the ride is good, great steering, nicely finished inside. Plus it is very cheap to insure, service costs very reasonable and great mpg. Realy good value for money. There is a lot to like. It is almost impossible to find a negative review.

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira alternatives

- Mixed reviews

Sensible options

Less sensible options

Mclaren 570 or 650 s

In my opinion, if you value 4 seats and that is a factor for you, you should definitely go that route because 2 seats will feel like a compromise.

The primary factors that matter to me are mid-engined and manual. My other options would basically all be from a used market at this point:
  • 90's NSX with aftermarket supercharger
  • Cayman GTS/GT4
  • R8 v10+ manual
If I did not place a necessary requirement on one or both of those factors, there are certainly better routes to go at this point. If you value a 4 seater, a 911 GTS is probably the route I would take out of your list. M4 isn't for me either, but you may love it when you drive it.

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
991.2 GTS. All the sports car anyone could ever need. I have a C4S as I needed it to be a year-round daily driver, and I dislike alcantara and it was impossible to find a GTS with leather and the spec I wanted. It's a superb car; if you can find a good GTS with the spec you want then go for it, you won't look back. I drive mine most days, and it still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Must-have spec for me was:
Rear axle steering - gives it an insanely good turning circle at parking speed, and makes the wheelbase feel longer at high speed for stability
Sports Chrono - don't use the lap timer, but Sport+ mode really quickens up the gear change (PDK) and makes the car feel incredibly taut to drive
Sports Exhaust - just for the sound and burbles
Glass sunroof (keep the interior light and airy)
Full leather interior (a matter of personal taste)
Multifunction GT steering wheel - slightly smaller than standard and gives you control of the car's displays and systems with proper tactile buttons - none of these silly touchpads

FWIW I think the 911 looks just as good as the Emira. It's obviously different - It looks classy, which I don't think the Emira particularly does - I think it's trying to look like something it's not. But each to their own.

I bought my 911 before the Emira was announced, and had my deposit down shortly after the reveal at Goodwood. It would have had to replace my 911. One sit in it at the dealer reveal at B&C.... no way. On the interior alone, no way. Cancelled and got my deposit back the next day.

OP
C

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
How about the Alpine A110? I got mine at the end of last year as a stop gap as the long wait for my V6 auto continues. I've been really pleased with it. Although it doesn't have the looks of some of the cars in your list, the performance is great, the ride is good, great steering, nicely finished inside. Plus it is very cheap to insure, service costs very reasonable and great mpg. Realy good value for money. There is a lot to like. It is almost impossible to find a negative review.
Very good call. Should have been on my list. Admittedly, I don’t love the looks but would certainly be a good interim car, if decide to wait for the i4. As you say very few bad words about it. Need to test drive.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira alternatives

- Mixed reviews

Sensible options

Less sensible options

Mclaren 570 or 650 s

Same options as me but Astons come with 5 year servicing included, if you can stretch to less than 5 year model
Don’t sweat, wait for base i4 pricing options.

OP
C

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
In my opinion, if you value 4 seats and that is a factor for you, you should definitely go that route because 2 seats will feel like a compromise.

The primary factors that matter to me are mid-engined and manual. My other options would basically all be from a used market at this point:
  • Cayman GTS/GT4
  • R8 v10+ manual
If I did not place a necessary requirement on one or both of those factors, there are certainly better routes to go at this point. If you value a 4 seater, a 911 GTS is probably the route I would take out of your list. M4 isn't for me either, but you may love it when you drive it.

• Cayman GTS/GT4
  • R8 v10+ manual
Yep, hadn’t considered a new car before the Emira was announced, then fell in love and that all went out the window. Would only look used if not the Emira.

Really like the Cayman, but think I’d go 911 simply for the 4 seats and have a young daughter.

R8 V10. Great option. Still way above pre Covid but think they will hold well. Think I’ll need to get a test drive.

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yep, hadn’t considered a new car before the Emira was announced, then fell in love and that all went out the window. Would only look used if not the Emira.

Really like the Cayman, but think I’d go 911 simply for the 4 seats and have a young daughter.

R8 V10. Great option. Still way above pre Covid but think they will hold well. Think I’ll need to get a test drive.
Yeah, sounds like a 911 GTS would be a great option for you! and though they are technically rear-engined... barely. the actual center of mass of the transmission and engine is hardly further over the rear axle than an emira anymore. At least part of the v6 stretches over the rear axle, not sure about i4.

OP
C

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Same options as me but Astons come with 5 year servicing included, if you can stretch to less than 5 year model
Don’t sweat, wait for base i4 pricing options.
Hmmm hadn’t realised Aston came with 5 years included.

Yes, but I’m due delivery in March, so if pricing isn’t released by then I need to either buy or walkway and wait (assuming I can’t delay delivery). Think I’m just gona sit tight for next 6 weeks and hope more info comes out on I4 🤞🏻

Can’t help but think Lotus are holding out on More I4 details for as long as possible which is v annoying.

OP
C

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
991.2 GTS. All the sports car anyone could ever need. I have a C4S as I needed it to be a year-round daily driver, and I dislike alcantara and it was impossible to find a GTS with leather and the spec I wanted. It's a superb car; if you can find a good GTS with the spec you want then go for it, you won't look back. I drive mine most days, and it still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Must-have spec for me was:
Rear axle steering - gives it an insanely good turning circle at parking speed, and makes the wheelbase feel longer at high speed for stability
Sports Chrono - don't use the lap timer, but Sport+ mode really quickens up the gear change (PDK) and makes the car feel incredibly taut to drive
Sports Exhaust - just for the sound and burbles
Glass sunroof (keep the interior light and airy)
Full leather interior (a matter of personal taste)
Multifunction GT steering wheel - slightly smaller than standard and gives you control of the car's displays and systems with proper tactile buttons - none of these silly touchpads

FWIW I think the 911 looks just as good as the Emira. It's obviously different - It looks classy, which I don't think the Emira particularly does - I think it's trying to look like something it's not. But each to their own.

I bought my 911 before the Emira was announced, and had my deposit down shortly after the reveal at Goodwood. It would have had to replace my 911. One sit in it at the dealer reveal at B&C.... no way. On the interior alone, no way. Cancelled and got my deposit back the next day.
Amazing, thanks for this. Actually wanted to ask about must have options.

There’s a v good spec 911 gts 2017 v high spec inc rear axle steering but has 52,000 miles. Up for £75k. Would the mileage put you off?

OP
C

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Amazing, thanks for this. Actually wanted to ask about must have options.

There’s a v good spec 911 gts 2017 v high spec inc rear axle steering but has 52,000 miles. Up for £75k. Would the mileage put you off?
Agree on looks too but quite different I think .

911 is classic classy, bit more big boy

Emira more sexy/sporty

Emira wins on looks for me but personal

1500 GT

Reaction score
Emira alternatives

- Mixed reviews

Sensible options

Less sensible options

Mclaren 570 or 650 s

You need to know what you want from the car and make a bloody decision. The options you list are pretty varied and cover quite a range of different character, 4 seater rep coupe through dated GT to lower rung McLaren Supercar. The Emira FE is in effect a small sports GT and is not pretending to be anything else until a more hardcore road legal version arrives. Lots of people are trying to compare with Porsche GT cars which are without doubt more hardcore, more expensive and a lot more difficult to get your hands on at list. I’d guess the Emira GT4 is at least as focussed, but for now anyway, not for the road. I’m a big Porsche fan and have had a number of 997 and 991 variants including GT3 and GTS. The 991 3.8 GTS is an epic road car I loved but just very different from an Emira. If you track your 420 then you will know that you Really can’t expect any of the cars except the McLs you listed to come close in terms of driver involvement and sheer fun. If you track a McLaren with the enthusiasm a Caterham thrives on then you will need bottomless pockets. For me the Emira is an obvious choice as a road car, it looks great and still feels like a Lotus but now has the creature comforts to tackle those European road trips you always dreamt of. There is far too much hesitation and procrastination on this forum, if you like it and can afford it, test drive it, buy it and enjoy it. None of us are here long enough for this endless flip or not to flip, depeciation, second hand alternative bollox.

OP
C

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
You need to know what you want from the car and make a bloody decision. The options you list are pretty varied and cover quite a range of different character, 4 seater rep coupe through dated GT to lower rung McLaren Supercar. The Emira FE is in effect a small sports GT and is not pretending to be anything else until a more hardcore road legal version arrives. Lots of people are trying to compare with Porsche GT cars which are without doubt more hardcore, more expensive and a lot more difficult to get your hands on at list. I’d guess the Emira GT4 is at least as focussed, but for now anyway, not for the road. I’m a big Porsche fan and have had a number of 997 and 991 variants including GT3 and GTS. The 991 3.8 GTS is an epic road car I loved but just very different from an Emira. If you track your 420 then you will know that you Really can’t expect any of the cars except the McLs you listed to come close in terms of driver involvement and sheer fun. If you track a McLaren with the enthusiasm a Caterham thrives on then you will need bottomless pockets. For me the Emira is an obvious choice as a road car, it looks great and still feels like a Lotus but now has the creature comforts to tackle those European road trips you always dreamt of. There is far too much hesitation and procrastination on this forum, if you like it and can afford it, test drive it, buy it and enjoy it. None of us are here long enough for this endless flip or not to flip, depeciation, second hand alternative bollox.
Haha to the point but completely agree.

Just need to make a decision and nail down what I want.

Usually am very impulsive, but the Emira see it, test drive it, buy it, enjoy it philosophy has been a very drawn out process, with v little info and has got me considering alternatives.

Also, will always consider deprecation in any decision, v jealous of people who don’t need to.

But yes, you are right for sure, too much analysing going on, me included

OP
C

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Surprised Evora is not on your list if you want the extra seats.
I know it’s a great car but doesn’t do it for me visually!

Sure like many, I’ve always liked Lotus but the looks have always held me back from committing until the Emira came along.

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I felt exactly the same and had some similar cars on my list inc 570s, R8, Vantage and AMG GT.

In the end I stuck with the Emira as I love the heritage of Lotus, the looks of the Emira and the fun factor of the car as a whole.

Despite only having had mine for 2 weeks I’m loving that decision.

My decision was also made on wanting something different that floated MY boat…

And finally Porsches are just too common to get excited about - IMHO

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
And if anyone does want some extra time with a car to help them decide what to do just let me know - I’m based near Tunbridge Wells.

OP
C

Calran

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I felt exactly the same and had some similar cars on my list inc 570s, R8, Vantage and AMG GT.

In the end I stuck with the Emira as I love the heritage of Lotus, the looks of the Emira and the fun factor of the car as a whole.

Despite only having had mine for 2 weeks I’m loving that decision.

My decision was also made on wanting something different that floated MY boat…

And finally Porsches are just too common to get excited about - IMHO
Haha Imagine a lot of people feeling the same.

Amazing you loving the car so much, most who have bought not to flip, seem to love it!

I’ll be honest, my heart says Emira. Got a 2nd test drive in couple of weeks and going to try get some others booked in around that, so I can make my final call.

Think these drives and the feeling on the day will ultimately make my mind up.

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The only other car that turned my head properly was the 570s… I really thought about it but I didn’t want all of the hassle McLaren's can potentially bring and I wanted my fun at sensible speeds.

Good luck with your decision.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Emira alternatives

- Mixed reviews

Sensible options

Less sensible options

Mclaren 570 or 650 s

The 911 or the Vantage is my favourites on your list.

But being in the UK, I would just pick up a used Emira in 6-8 months time - most likely at a discount to new and with better finance rates than today. My 2 cents.

Also this : https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/718-boxster-gts/202234/porsche-718-boxster-gts-40-manual-2023-review

Last edited: