Emira, 718 GTS, 911, A110 comparison

Tim Hodgson

Reaction score
I ordered an Emira pre reveal and have waited patiently through all of the messed up communications, spec dates and delays. 5 months ago with the increasing delays I also put a deposit down on a 718 GTS 4.0. With the Emira finally due, I have had 2 chances to drive it and have driven the other 3 cars above all within the space of a couple of weeks. My requirement is a car thats good to look at, feels great to drive and feels special each time you get in it and is a good car to also tour in the British Isles and Europe with my other half who has no interest in cars per se. I have had most makes over the years including two Caterhams and have an Elise which I am able to keep for solo trips.

I reckon the spec for this car is a fairly common requirement and whilst there are many other cars that could be considered the above fit my requirements and have a broad price range without getting silly (by todays standards where a Honda Civic is nearly £50k!). Having driven all of the cars I then sat down and applied ratings across a whole range of aspects I thought important. The Emira scored maximum points in the areas you would expect, Steering, Handling, Looks, ride quality, but scored lower in terms of Noise, Space, build quality etc. All subjective of course. The wife vote went for the 911. I didnt sum the columns until the end. The only problem was that the Alpine had the best rating. It was only let down by having a more basic cabin and rated low on storage. The Lotus had the best steering but the Alpine was second. Alpine ride and balance was very Lotus, different and clearly much less grip than the Emira but no less competent. This was a genuine non biased attempt to rate the cars and far from helpful. Heart says Emira, Wife says 911 , analysis says Alpine. Maybe I should just buy the GTS 😂
718 GTS 4.0 wins. Alpine nice but a little toy-ish. Emira build quality just too lotus, as in not great after not many miles! 992 911 great but huge and leaves you a bit emotionless. GTS 4.0 manual, like an old 911.... with storage!

OP
G

Grumpy

Reaction score
718 GTS 4.0 wins. Alpine nice but a little toy-ish. Emira build quality just too lotus, as in not great after not many miles! 992 911 great but huge and leaves you a bit emotionless. GTS 4.0 manual, like an old 911.... with storage!
Interestingly whilst the 992 is a little longer than the Emira its a fair bit narrower so i'd say very comparable in size. Emira is longer and wider than an Evora. We all think 911's have got too big but actually they are still not big by current standards and certainly feel nimble on the road.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Interestingly whilst the 992 is a little longer than the Emira its a fair bit narrower so i'd say very comparable in size. Emira is longer and wider than an Evora. We all think 911's have got too big but actually they are still not big by current standards and certainly feel nimble on the road.
I think it's more about the feeling it gives off... AM Vantage isn't that big either, but everyone knows it's more GT than sports car.

I guess the 718/Emira are just that little bit smaller making them sports cars, not the more comfortable car a GT. (even if the difference is not huge) Honestly only enthusiast care about these things. 99% of people think anything with two doors is a sports car.

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Take it from someone that has owned a 718 GTS a 911 992S and test driven the Emira V6 Manual

For a track attacker the 718 wins and as a daily the 911 992 wins all day long.

What you get with the Emira is one of the best looking cars i've ever seen at a bargain price and do you know what, its not a bad car at all, I would just question if it is an ideal daily driver thou.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Take it from someone that has owned a 718 GTS a 911 992S and test driven the Emira V6 Manual

What you get with the Emira is one of the best looking cars i've ever seen at a bargain price and do you know what, its not a bad car at all, I would just question if it is an ideal daily driver thou.
I found the supercharger noise irritating for a daily.

OP
G

Grumpy

Reaction score
I found the supercharger noise irritating for a daily.

Interesting. They are all great cars And all do something better than others. Great to have variety.

Looks - The Emira is the pretty headturner - the girl everyone fell for. 718 is a clean and nicely evolved design in 718 guise, 922 in base form is just a classic mature shape You will still love in 20 years time.

Engine - 718 GTS Naturally aspirated best sound, top end shove

Gearbox - 718 GTS for action, but needs shorter ratios so honourable mention to the Emira - slower but precise With well chosen ratios.

Steering - Emira by a country mile and a half!

Handling- on the road pushing on the Emira is so confidence inspiring, power never feels scary, never feels it will let go - staggeringly capable as a road car At least as good as the 992 which is saying something.

Special to be in - 992 Cabin is just lovely to be in, makes you feel good Every time you get behind the wheel.

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Interesting. They are all great cars And all do something better than others. Great to have variety.

Looks - The Emira is the pretty headturner - the girl everyone fell for. 718 is a clean and nicely evolved design in 718 guise, 922 in base form is just a classic mature shape You will still love in 20 years time.

Engine - 718 GTS Naturally aspirated best sound, top end shove

Gearbox - 718 GTS for action, but needs shorter ratios so honourable mention to the Emira - slower but precise With well chosen ratios.

Steering - Emira by a country mile and a half!

Handling- on the road pushing on the Emira is so confidence inspiring, power never feels scary, never feels it will let go - staggeringly capable as a road car At least as good as the 992 which is saying something.

Special to be in - 992 Cabin is just lovely to be in, makes you feel good Every time you get behind the wheel.
Very very well said 🫡