Electric Turbo - 48V

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I am secretly hoping that Lotus’ delay in publicly launching the Turbocharged 2.0 (I4) version of the EMIRA has to do with an intense effort to make this edition ready for introducing the new (Garrett Electric Turbo architecture). This will need to re-engineer the electric system in the Emira Turbocharged 2.0 (I4) for 48V electric system since that’s what the electric motor of the new turbo system need.

AMG became the launch partner with Garrett for the Electric Turbo (that consists of physical parts as well as advanced software).

You can read about it here:

This system is straight out of Formula One technology, and it reduces turbo-lag to a minimum, and it controls the turbo to always be in an optimal band; so you get better low end torque as well as higher top-end power. It is a kind of “have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too” situation. Mercedes AMG has already incorporated the system on its latest C63 sports saloon with over 470 hp output from the M139 (Basicly same engine that Emira Turbocharged 2.0 (I4) will get (minus electric turbo, but rather a more traditional turbo). The C63 also gets an electric motor tgat adds another 200 hp on top. But we don’t want that for a sports car Lotus, since these components will add a bigger battery and a lot of weight.

My hope is that the 48V electric system may only add a very limited amount of weight, and that the benefits of the electric turbo will far outweigh the slight disadvantage.

But all of the above is only my wishful thinking. Maybe “kitkat” will step in to educate us more 🤣☺️

Here is a more general link to Garrett Motion electric turbocharger:

OP
Tokion

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Just to be precise; I do not at all think that even if the 48V infrastructure gets added to the Emira Turbocharged 2.0 (I4), I do not think that the launch car will get 470 hp+ power output. I think Lotus will stay with 360 hp or thereabouts for this first version. However, having the 48V even installed in the car, or ready to be added into a future (S or R) version. The possibility of higher output versions later on will be present.

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
But all of the above is only my wishful thinking. Maybe “kitkat” will step in to educate us more 🤣☺️
LOL, present!

I agree with you that the C63S drivetrain is pretty bananas, and obviously the drive unit and 6.1 kWh battery would never fit in the Emira. I think it's possible to integrate the E-Turbo technology. I'm just not sure how big of a battery you'd need for it, or where the battery would go.

I'd certainly love to drive such a car but I'm just not sure it's in the cards. When I look at the direction of Lotus now, it's clear that internal combustion engines aren't in their future. Unless Geely changes their overall business direction I think we should believe Lotus/Geely when they say this is their last combustion engine. Adding 48V architecture to a product with a limited lifespan seems a distraction.

Additionally, for hotter versions of the M139 drivetrain, it's just a bit of software honestly, there's no need to create a new turbo manifold and a 48V to support the E-Turbo.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I guess it's technically feasible... you wouldn't need that big of a battery for it. The Garret e-turbo has a peak power draw of 20kW. If it runs for 10 seconds per pull, you can get 3 full minutes of running out of a 1kWh battery. Note that the e turbo doesn't engage all the time, only at the start when it helps to spool up to full speed before the exhaust gasses take over. I figure you can get much more than 3 minutes of run time out of a 1kWh battery. In fact, my previous car, the AMG GT53 had the M256 engine with an electric turbo, powered by a 48v system with a 0.9kWh battery...

The generation is also not a problem because the 8G-DCT can be fitted with an integrated starter/alternator, which generates 48V natively as well as adds up to 10HP at low RPMs.

It's possible...

OP
Tokion

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
LOL, present!

I agree with you that the C63S drivetrain is pretty bananas, and obviously the drive unit and 6.1 kWh battery would never fit in the Emira. I think it's possible to integrate the E-Turbo technology. I'm just not sure how big of a battery you'd need for it, or where the battery would go.

I'd certainly love to drive such a car but I'm just not sure it's in the cards. When I look at the direction of Lotus now, it's clear that internal combustion engines aren't in their future. Unless Geely changes their overall business direction I think we should believe Lotus/Geely when they say this is their last combustion engine. Adding 48V architecture to a product with a limited lifespan seems a distraction.

Additionally, for hotter versions of the M139 drivetrain, it's just a bit of software honestly, there's no need to create a new turbo manifold and a 48V to support the E-Turbo.
Thanks KitKat! I completely understand and agree, and I pretty much already wrote that my piece was about wishful thinking. I think this F1 based ‘Electric Turbo’ is pure genius and very attractive. And it happens to go on the market (by Mercedes AMG) combined with the very same M139 engine that Lotus also will be using. And the question is why is Lotus keeping the 2.0 Turbocharged (I4) so long under secretive wraps, a very long time after it was first launched and became ready to order. But we still do not receive any detail of what technical details the car really will have, and also not what it will sound like. The nicest thing I can say: ‘Extraordinary’ 👀

Last edited:
OP
Tokion

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I guess it's technically feasible... you wouldn't need that big of a battery for it. The Garret e-turbo has a peak power draw of 20kW. If it runs for 10 seconds per pull, you can get 3 full minutes of running out of a 1kWh battery. Note that the e turbo doesn't engage all the time, only at the start when it helps to spool up to full speed before the exhaust gasses take over. I figure you can get much more than 3 minutes of run time out of a 1kWh battery. In fact, my previous car, the AMG GT53 had the M256 engine with an electric turbo, powered by a 48v system with a 0.9kWh battery...

The generation is also not a problem because the 8G-DCT can be fitted with an integrated starter/alternator, which generates 48V natively as well as adds up to 10HP at low RPMs.

It's possible...
Very pleased to hear your optimistic attitude, Nova, and for declaring that you think ‘Electric Turbo’ and a 48V electric system is possible and feasible in Emira Turbocharged 2.0 (I4) context. Still KitKat may be right saying that Lotus/Geely may not see the need, or make the effort, for the short expected market life (up to 2028 max) for this model.

Last edited: