Driving on snow?

Logoman

Reaction score
Thinking about a trip to the alps in the Emira in January if I have it by then.
Some years ago I took the Elise and it was impossible to control on snow, but the Emira should be ok since it has traction control and is heavier. Is that correct?

It should be easier, but if you're actually driving on snow or icy roads, you'll want a set of winter tires on it. Driving a mid-engine car with 400 hp on snowy roads is going to be a handful otherwise.

Thinking about a trip to the alps in the Emira in January if I have it by then.
Some years ago I took the Elise and it was impossible to control on snow, but the Emira should be ok since it has traction control and is heavier. Is that correct?

Not the ideal car for it, but I don't see it being uncontrollable in snowy conditions as long as you have proper tires and the main roads are plowed properly. It really just comes down to tires and avoiding chunks of ice with a low sitting sportscar. I personally wouldn't do it in a brand new Emira, but had a blast during the winters with my AWD STi! 😁

You're better fitting winter tyres if the temperature is going to be below 6-7 degrees for a month or more. I don't on my Evora, but it's a weekend fun car rather than a daily driver, so I can decide to take a different car if it's icy or snowy.

Plenty of Evora owners in colder climates are running them over the winter with winter tyres.

This topic has been discussed before:

Finally found the pic! Soon after I bought my Evora, I drove to the French Alps with my son for a skiing holiday. Amid the four, and front wheel drive wagons, was me! Did I get some stares! The car park was down the other side of the mountain, so had to use a very light right foot (which I was NOT born with) to get to it.
Getting out was even more interesting. I amassed a crowd of French onlookers waiting for me to mess it up. Fortunately (I had my son with me, I had pride to uphold!), I didn't screw it up.

Snow driving is fun. Best to do when others aren't around ;)

Attachments

• IMG-20221026-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20221026-WA0011.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 23
Lotus has to be one of the most famous Sports cars for snow driving 🥰😁
GOOD winter tyres and back up chains/snow tyre sleeves in case you get stuck (plus shovel) and you should be fine.
Great that the Emira has so much tyre clearance 😉

art-mg-lotusespritturbofyeo3.jpg

There is an interesting video of a rear wheel drive 911 vs a 4 WD macan, 911 winter tyres, macan normal tyres.. both on a slippy surface going up hill. THe Macan is a mess, the 911 copes easily enough.

Having said that, I cant see much point and it could all end in tears as they say. No real wheel drive car is going to be great or even enjoyable, unless you look death in the eye with a smile on your face, on wet/ slushy / icy roads.
In some places in the EU, some parts of spain even, snow tyres/chains are legally required, but I am sure you have done your research.
I guess you will enjoy it, I certainly wouldn't... not even in the 4wd eletre haha

There is an interesting video of a rear wheel drive 911 vs a 4 WD macan, 911 winter tyres, macan normal tyres.. both on a slippy surface going up hill. THe Macan is a mess, the 911 copes easily enough.

Having said that, I cant see much point and it could all end in tears as they say. No real wheel drive car is going to be great or even enjoyable, unless you look death in the eye with a smile on your face, on wet/ slushy / icy roads.
In some places in the EU, some parts of spain even, snow tyres/chains are legally required, but I am sure you have done your research.
I guess you will enjoy it, I certainly wouldn't... not even in the 4wd eletre haha
And that is why you will never be this cool
Good little article that may help

1singleslotusbigreadmay2016.jpg

Finally found the pic! Soon after I bought my Evora, I drove to the French Alps with my son for a skiing holiday. Amid the four, and front wheel drive wagons, was me! Did I get some stares! The car park was down the other side of the mountain, so had to use a very light right foot (which I was NOT born with) to get to it.
Getting out was even more interesting. I amassed a crowd of French onlookers waiting for me to mess it up. Fortunately (I had my son with me, I had pride to uphold!), I didn't screw it up.

Snow driving is fun. Best to do when others aren't around ;)
that's wonderful! I have a similar photo of my Elise from the Chamonix trip.
In my situation the lightness of the right foot made no difference at all, but I was lucky.
I'd left about 50 metres between me and the bus infront, so that when the bus stopped I had enough stopping distance (travelling at about 5mph - just over walking speed). Braking made no difference to my speed at all, and so i was forced to roll to a stop to maintain some directional control. The car stopped with about 5cm behind the bus. Centre of town and plenty of onlookers - I was very relieved!

And that is why you will never be this cool
Good little article that may help

View attachment 10097
I’ve seen it and that is just one reason why I will never be cold, I mean cool.

All these things seem like a good idea, like a threesome or more some, but the reality is the same, being out in the cold haha

Attachments

• C7A016E7-B72D-4D54-B2BD-8C19FFAA9613.jpeg
    C7A016E7-B72D-4D54-B2BD-8C19FFAA9613.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 4246F61A-D948-4AD6-A524-06C460072713.jpeg
    4246F61A-D948-4AD6-A524-06C460072713.jpeg
    253.4 KB · Views: 12
  • B043A419-E49F-47FB-9BA4-AF901BBC9732.jpeg
    B043A419-E49F-47FB-9BA4-AF901BBC9732.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 14
Spoilt for choice haha
I think the gt3 touring video didnt make it up there... black with bronzey type wheels.... going to Andorra guy.... veryyyyyyy nice!
sorry, but I have to say...scratch the surface on some cars and you can see how much they are worth, but scratch the surface on these and you just get more surface.. haha.. or you uncover gold... which ever ending you prefer ;)