• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Did they just look at 718 Caymans and copy that?

OP
~el~jefe~

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I would rather a 2.0 or 2.5 L 718 than a 4.0 GTS. The GTS is heavier and "twitchier" and has no mid power band. The two GT cars with that engine, the Spyder and the GT4, have wonderful chassis and aero as well as different tires and wheels tuned for that engine. 4.0 GTS is cool and fun, but it is not as balanced of an experienc as the 2.0 or the 2.5L turbos.

I would get a Lotus Emira any day over a 4.0 GTS Porsche. The question is for the driver, A 2.0 718 T vs. v6 Emira. There you have similar weights and an emphasis on chassis and precision. The 2.5L 718 S by Porsche is the contender for most drivers vs the Emira though if they want to push the car above 80mph quite often.

The Spyder is superior to all of these cars in most ways, but it is ridiculous to drive as an every day car, and they do not exist below $100k, that is for certain.

If you buy a Porsche Spyder, you cannot say both at the same time:
A. I will keep this car forever or for as long as feasible into the decades
B. I will buy a base version, and not add $25k in needed options to personalize and create a nicer experience.

GT4 is a silly car for most places on earth. The porsche reviewer Janko has the best perspective on 718's i believe.

Anyways, the Lotus Emira needs to be bought and enjoyed I think. worthy experience.

OP
~el~jefe~

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
That is another tick for the flat 6

It is in ways and not in others. Have you felt what it is like to hold 7000-8000 on such a car? It is an irritable experience, and one that you would not want to do on "B roads". The supercharged Emira would be more enjoyable, or the 2.5L 718 S for power types. I said this in the above post but i feel it is important enough to re-iterate.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
It is in ways and not in others. Have you felt what it is like to hold 7000-8000 on such a car? It is an irritable experience, and one that you would not want to do on "B roads". The supercharged Emira would be more enjoyable, or the 2.5L 718 S for power types. I said this in the above post but i feel it is important enough to re-iterate.
I like it and why i find the gear ratios slightly annoying. But it's a personal thing. I prefer the experience and how a car makes me feel nowadays rather than outright performance.

OP
~el~jefe~

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I like it and why i find the gear ratios slightly annoying. But it's a personal thing. I prefer the experience and how a car makes me feel nowadays rather than outright performance.
well, i have never driven a car hard that could reasonably take downshifting to 1st. I believe that is one of the reasons they are geared tall. To go up the gear is quite typical and boring as a test after a while, in terms of driving a car truly hard. it is the downshift that the Porsche 718 is cool with, as you can go to first while still driving properly and smoothly.