Did they just look at 718 Caymans and copy that?

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I am looking at a dealer spec sheet, pdf, from one of their training sessions. It was forwarded to me from a dealer.

I am confused. It is almost the exact same dimensions, height even the same, weight, to a 718 mid series car. A 718 T in like a Boxster would be a chunk lower as well as a chunk lighter. I am confused.

Did they just look at Porsche and decide to compete 1:1? I am considering canceling an order for a Porsche 718. I hoped an Emira would be more Elise like in its weight or dimensions or something. I know I am missing a lot of things in saying this, but it is just so similar at first glance that it makes me wonder if i should just keep going on my 718 order.

anyone know the 718 line really well to comment?

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I am looking at a dealer spec sheet, pdf, from one of their training sessions. It was forwarded to me from a dealer.

I am confused. It is almost the exact same dimensions, height even the same, weight, to a 718 mid series car. A 718 T in like a Boxster would be a chunk lower as well as a chunk lighter. I am confused.

Did they just look at Porsche and decide to compete 1:1? I am considering canceling an order for a Porsche 718. I hoped an Emira would be more Elise like in its weight or dimensions or something. I know I am missing a lot of things in saying this, but it is just so similar at first glance that it makes me wonder if i should just keep going on my 718 order.

The 718 will be even more refined than the Emira.
I'd happily have a 718 but I think the Emira is going to be the better car if you like true connection with a car. As a package it also feels another step up from the 718 (it isn't really but its more than the sum of its parts) Get the Emira, you can always get one of many 718s after if you feel like you made a mistake

OP
~el~jefe~

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The 718 will be even more refined than the Emira.
I'd happily have a 718 but I think the Emira is going to be the better car if you like true connection with a car. As a package it also feels another step up from the 718 (it isn't really but its more than the sum of its parts) Get the Emira, you can always get one of many 718s after if you feel like you made a mistake

i think it could be as well. I hope the storage behind the seats + the rear space in the v6 i want to order will fit stuff. It seems it will. shrug? Someone gave some good pictures. The 718 has a big front trunk and small back.

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I don't know where you're getting your numbers from but the Emira is 4 inches wider with the mirrors folded and 12 unfolded (1895mm &2092mm vs Cayman 1801mm). It's also 2 inches lower while being the same length.

Attachments

• 1634183663566.png
    1634183663566.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
i think it could be as well. I hope the storage behind the seats + the rear space in the v6 i want to order will fit stuff. It seems it will. shrug? Someone gave some good pictures. The 718 has a big front trunk and small back.

You can also wait for the video reviews of the Emira. I wouldn't suggest anyone cancel a deposit before then unless it's absolutely necessary. I am getting the Emira no matter what but if you are shopping, wait for reviews if you can.

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Dimensions are not at all the same.

OP
~el~jefe~

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
whenever a forum gets defensive, they get super literal.

they are really similar cars. nothing ground breaking. i would guess evora was made to be within limits of a 718 and the emira is really similar to an evora from what i see.

Just not a heck of a lot to make someone sway one way or the other. Really does not. too similar in weight and power and design and price.

and it's less than 2 inches height difference, close to 1 inch.

within 6 hp and 1 torque of one another too. Miracles.

I think though that the Emira is a better buy. It can look maxed out without breaking 95k, porche sort of cannot do that without a chincy looking dash and other options.

Last edited:

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well you are a very lucky guy then. Just cancel your order, get a Cayman and you will have your car before everybody else here. I‘m already jealous!
And of course you will get a great car with the Cayman nevertheless.

OP
~el~jefe~

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Well you are a very lucky guy then. Just cancel your order, get a Cayman and you will have your car before everybody else here. I‘m already jealous!
And of course you will get a great car with the Cayman nevertheless.
Well, it is a Boxster T, and it would not appear until October of 2022. I am wondering if i should just wait for an emira. Will they even fulfill within reasonable time 2023 orders placed? Will they all be fulfilled? Seems like they are piling up at dealerships.

Yeah. I am thinking the Lotus might be the way to go. Be nice if i could confidently afford both, but eh never know. one day soon :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Den

Den

Emira Fan
Reaction score
You're in a very good place when you have these type's of dilemma's in your life :unsure:
Either option will be a good choice (y)

OP
~el~jefe~

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
You're in a very good place when you have these type's of dilemma's in your life :unsure:
Either option will be a good choice (y)
yes that is true. The only sad one is that the 718 probably wont be in existence much longer. The good thing is the Lotus is beginning its production run. less pressure to buy one now. 718's are going flying turd EV's shortly.

darkling

Emira Fan
Reaction score
please if your having second thoughts cancel your emira order and get the porsche. Its a great car . but i look at is as when i go get service my money then will stay in my pocket . When i go to cars and coffee or a rally i won't be parking next to 12 porsche one to 2 of them looking just like my car . we are not talking huge performance numbers just different ways of the car handling

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
please if your having second thoughts cancel your emira order and get the porsche. Its a great car . but i look at is as when i go get service my money then will stay in my pocket . When i go to cars and coffee or a rally i won't be parking next to 12 porsche one to 2 of them looking just like my car . we are not talking huge performance numbers just different ways of the car handling
You will be told to park in the supercar parking slots next to Lambos and Ferrari's :)

The only thing that Porsche have that Lotus probably wont have is build quality of the interiors - however having said that I've never owned a Porsche so what you don't have you cant miss - i.e. the quality inside.

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Only driven the 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 but I have to say the gearing is so so long. You can drive almost every road in 3rd gear, anything twisty almost doesnt warrant changing gears. Of course not sure what the gearing is going to be like in the Emira but hopefully a bit shorter than the Cayman.
From a short ride in the 718 with the flat four, sadly I didnt like the engine note, flat 6 is an epic engine, flat four a bit characterless (in my opinion of course).
Chassis on both are class leading, really quite amazing what they've done there.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Only driven the 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 but I have to say the gearing is so so long. You can drive almost every road in 3rd gear, anything twisty almost doesnt warrant changing gears. Of course not sure what the gearing is going to be like in the Emira but hopefully a bit shorter than the Cayman.
THIS is a very good point. If I ever do decide to get a Boxster Spyder I need to figure in 6k for a gearbox rebuild at RPM with short ratios

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
@Leonard upgraded gears and FD are big on the Evora too. Only so much you can do with the power on either platform and gearing is a safe and relatively cheap way to fix it.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I will be a bit annoyed if 2nd gear is as long in the Emira as it is in the 718... 😏😕
if I remember correctly, in the Harry’s Garage video the shift from 2nd to 3rd gear was at around 72 mph. What is it like in the 718 GTS 4.0?

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So they are geared rather similar. The GTS 4.0 just revs higher.