Design 101: comparing the Ferrari 308

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
My dream car has always been the Ferrari 308 GTB. If it weren't for the problems inherent with owning an older car, I may have bought one instead of the Emira.

I've been comparing the 308 design to the Emira. The Lotus is more "cab-forward", so the overhangs are shorter: the nose drops off faster, and the proportionate wheelbase length is bigger (the Emira is 182mm longer than the 308, but has a 233mm longer wheelbase). However, the slope of the rear profile is almost identical, and the glasshouse design is very close, even having a dip in the side window inline with the steering wheel.

The perfect evolution?

308-comparo.png

denk0815

Reaction score
That is a very apt comparison.
You can see that the design is strongly oriented towards the 308, at least as far as the front and side views are concerned.

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Worth also comparing Ferrari's own modern homage to the 308 - the 488, from which the Emira has definitely taken and exaggerated styling cues.
1644313121026.png
1644313166125.png

The 308/328 are actually pretty reliable and problem-free as long as they are well-maintained. Parts availability is generally good, they're simple cars by modern standards and easy to work on. Obviously not as powerful as the Emira (and absolutely destroyed by a modern F) but a sublimely analog driving experience, great noise and a superb antidote to todays bloated, heavy, tech-infested juggernauts.

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Oh, and it has to be said, the 308/328 is by far the most beautiful car here - along with the Aston Martin DB5 I think they are by some margin the best-looking cars ever built. Not so apparent from a dead-on side view, but walk around one... it's low, lithe and just gorgeous.

OP
J

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Worth also comparing Ferrari's own modern homage to the 308 - the 488, from which the Emira has definitely taken and exaggerated styling cues.
View attachment 2950View attachment 2951

The 308/328 are actually pretty reliable and problem-free as long as they are well-maintained. Parts availability is generally good, they're simple cars by modern standards and easy to work on. Obviously not as powerful as the Emira (and absolutely destroyed by a modern F) but a sublimely analog driving experience, great noise and a superb antidote to todays bloated, heavy, tech-infested juggernauts.

Geez, that 488 is remarkably similar. Nicely spotted!

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I always thought the 308 and the Dino, especially from the front, were two of the most beautiful looking Ferraris they ever made. My other favorite was the Daytona 365 GTB, which I believe was Enzo's response to the Jaguar XKE which he said was the most beautiful car ever designed.

Ferrari 365 GTB:4 Daytona.jpeg

Ferrari 365 GTB:4 Daytona 2.jpeg

These were clean, sculpted designs without a lot of unnecessary body lines or body busy work just for the sake of looking busy. Something Ferrari and most of the high-end makers have gotten away from unfortunately. The Emira hearkens back to that philosophy, and even though it's a modern design, it already has that classic look.

Daz

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
View attachment 2950View attachment 2951

All 3 are stunning looking cars and I’m going to be lucky enough to own one of these beauties

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Another thing: black sills. I know that most people seem to prefer them, and they're supposed to make the body look lighter, but I have a real dislike for them, and personally I think it's a shame that the Emira design really exaggerates them. I specced my 488 with body-coloured sills, and for me it's a cleaner, better looking car this way.

1644346345681.png

Daz

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Another thing: black sills. I know that most people seem to prefer them, and they're supposed to make the body look lighter, but I have a real dislike for them, and personally I think it's a shame that the Emira design really exaggerates them. I specced my 488 with body-coloured sills, and for me it's a cleaner, better looking car this way.

View attachment 2978
Wow, you’ve a 488 ! Why get an Emira when you have that in the arsenal

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Wow, you’ve a 488 ! Why get an Emira when you have that in the arsenal
The Emira would have replaced my 911 as daily driver, and would have got a lot of use on the track. There were a number of things I wasn't happy about with the Emira when I went to see it at B&C, so I dropped out and bought an Elise instead for the track (which is fabulous!) and am keeping the 911 (which also has body-coloured sills!).

Last edited:

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I always thought the 308 and the Dino, especially from the front, were two of the most beautiful looking Ferraris they ever made. My other favorite was the Daytona 365 GTB, which I believe was Enzo's response to the Jaguar XKE which he said was the most beautiful car ever designed.

View attachment 2953
View attachment 2954

These were clean, sculpted designs without a lot of unnecessary body lines or body busy work just for the sake of looking busy. Something Ferrari and most of the high-end makers have gotten away from unfortunately. The Emira hearkens back to that philosophy, and even though it's a modern design, it already has that classic look.
Spot on Eagle (Mr. Eagle ? :ROFLMAO:) The Daytona, as it was informally named, is just plain gorgeous. The fixed-head coupe easily better looking than the soft-top - look at the upward sweep of that side-window! The inset cam-tail! Size and proportion of the rim to sidewall and the overall wheel & tyre to body ratio (almost the ideal 50% of vehicle height)

OP
J

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

View attachment 2953
View attachment 2954

I miss the days of simple, one line curves. I believe BMW has a lot to blame for that, as they pioneered sheet metal pressing that could accentuate tight creases and complex scalloping.

I’m also starting to see why some people are baulking at the Emira’s 20” wheels. I love them, but they really dominate the side profile. I’m looking forward to seeing how they work in the flesh.

I still can’t get over the similarities to the 488…

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I'll be putting up a post soon illustrating why the Emira's lines are better than the 488 and just about any similar car you care to mention.

Many good-looking cars have angles where the design does not hang together or looks awkward - the Emira is such a cohesive well-rounded design I've yet to find the equivalent of a musical "bum note".

This design will gain greater and greater appreciation for the work of genius that it is as time passes.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'll be putting up a post soon illustrating why the Emira's lines are better than the 488 and just about any similar car you care to mention.

Many good-looking cars have angles where the design does not hang together or looks awkward - the Emira is such a cohesive well-rounded design I've yet to find the equivalent of a musical "bum note".

This design will gain greater and greater appreciation for the work of genius that it is as time passes.
Agreed, and here's the thing... most cars, especially good looking ones, usually look better in person than they do in photos. If the Emira looks this good in photos from any angle, what are the final production versions going to look like out on the street in the flesh?

This car is definitely going to be a head-turner.

OP
J

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

I‘m looking forward to this. I think the obvious is that the 488 is a bit too “cab forward” — the tail seems too heavy and far from the glasshouse.

The Emira isn’t without some faults. Comparing it to the 308, it looks thick around the middle, and a bit stubby. I’m not sure why… the top sill heights look about the same as the 488. Perhaps the short nose and consequent sharp drop off?

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The similarity to the 488 is actually a big part of what appealed to me when it was revealed. Agree that the 488 seems a bit long in the tail in comparison though (gotta fit that engine somehow!)

I find that the Emira looks a lot chunkier / shorter in photos than it does in person... Once I saw it in the flesh, I was completely convinced that the proportions are excellent. Man, I keep getting excited all over again when I realise I should have one in the garage this year! :D

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

View attachment 2978
The Emira isn't as stretched out as the 488, so it looks a bit different with body colored sills, but it's not a bad look by any means. I wonder if the base models are going to have the lower black pack area body colored, and the lower black pack will be a cost option just like the upper black pack is?

Side sills.png

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I‘m looking forward to this. I think the obvious is that the 488 is a bit too “cab forward” — the tail seems too heavy and far from the glasshouse.
The 488 has eight cylinders and twin turbochargers to fit in, while achieving a 53.5%/46.5% front/rear weight distribution (I haven't seen figures for the Emira, but the Evora is 61%/39%). I think design somewhat followed function here.

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The Emira isn't as stretched out as the 488, so it looks a bit different with body colored sills, but it's not a bad look by any means. I wonder if the base models are going to have the lower black pack area body colored, and the lower black pack will be a cost option just like the upper black pack is?

View attachment 2982
You see, I think that looks 10x better. But I realise and accept I'm probably in the minority here...

Also worth mentioning (as this is a Ferrari comparison thread) that although it may be a little stretched out, the 488 packages a relatively massive 230 litres of space in the front boot. That's vs 145 litres in a Porsche 911.