• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Custom MagSafe Wireless Charger

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
All parts ordered. Going to cap this first batch at 15.

1. @Rapture - deposit received
2. @Bilbao-Emira - deposit received
3. @Medic518 - deposit received
4. @GlynV6 - deposit received
5. @Porter - deposit received
6. @squish - deposit received
7. @KCDarkV
8. @GRP - deposit received
9. @bpleroy
10. @T6061 - deposit received
11. @gmbc - deposit received
12. @Haffway - deposit received
13. @Seneca Detroit - deposit received
14. @User461

Also small update, finally got around testing and making a case for the other power supply I wanted to try. It’s better suited for this application while still delivering up to 60W. PCB is smaller too so it makes for reduced footprint overall.

IMG_3984.jpeg

IMG_3990.jpeg

IMG_3992.jpeg

Last edited:

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What's the advantage compared to the other one? The reason I ask is that the other one is a commercial product with rugged environment testing and warranty support. Just curious.

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yup, this is from the same manufacturer, also commercial grade. Same USB-C chipset, power output and support for the same protocols. The main difference is mostly the case, by getting the bare PCB version I can make the packaging smaller. I thought the metal case was a little bulky and overkill.

SirSoysauce

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Yup, this is from the same manufacturer, also commercial grade. Same USB-C chipset, power output and support for the same protocols. The main difference is mostly the case, by getting the bare PCB version I can make the packaging smaller. I thought the metal case was a little bulky and overkill.

Realistically if it's not visible, it shouldn't be huge concern. Though preferentially I thought the metal case one was a really nice clean look if it has to be in plain sight.

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Gotcha. I aim to please, if folks prefer the metal case then no problem at all, I can use that instead!

Porter

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Very cool. I totally get it. I just figure the other one looks more "complete" as an installed product if there's ever any warranty or, god forbid, insurance-related questions about it after an incident of some kind.

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Good point. I received feedback from others as well and it seems most wanna stick to the original power supply with the metal case. So let's do that. It saves me printing and assembly time too. Win win.

The only downside is I can't engrave "soon" on the case like I was planning to lol

Haffway

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Would you happen to have a rough idea of when you expect to have everything ready to ship out? Are we on Lotus Standard time?🤣

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I would say 2-3 weeks? If anything changes I will post here. I'll keep sharing updates as I go along.

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
We got parts!

I’m waiting on the fabric and some extra connectors for harnesses.

Wrapping in Alcantara will be the most time consuming part. I apologize in advance for my upholstery skills! I promise the visible parts will look good though.

IMG_4149.jpeg

Porter

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
FYI the Mophie Snap+ works the same (Qi 15W) but is dark in color, if it matters.

Bump for this thing... have you tested the Apple charger with a non-Apple device to see if it's capped? Some have reported only getting 6 W from the Apple one. Depends on phone, obviously.

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have not, we are an all Apple household lol, so I don't have anything to test with.

If you know this works well for your Pixel I can build your tray with it instead, just let me know!

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner