Clutch malfunction and Gearbox can't shift into gear

Atlantis Blue Emira

Reaction score
The Video explains it all, but some background. Didn't drive car for 2 weeks, had it on battery charge (was 100% and light green), doors locked.

Come back and cold started, and clutch stayed stuck on the floorboard, and had to pull it back with my foot.

On cold start, the car went red line (can hear it)--2nd video.

Doesn't go into gear (1st video).

Had to crop the video and save in 720p and 480p to be able to upload otherwise was too large of a file.

Turned car off, got out of car, locked it and unlocked it and restarted and same issue.

Called Lotus and they said first time they had this issue, but wondering worldwide if anyone else had this issue of clutch malfunction?

Attachments

• Gear box and clutch fail.mp4
    26.6 MB
  • Lotus Clutch fail (stuck).mp4
    17.4 MB

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Looks like a clutch fluid line leak causing air in the clutch fluid line. No fluid pressure means that the pedal is not coming back up.

It could be the clutch master cylinder (which is external to the clutch so easy to get to and swap out) or something simpler like a poorly tightened clutch fluid line.

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The car going to redline (super scary I bet) is very odd which doesnt sound like it should be clutch related but.....Lotus.
Curious what they find the problem is.

OP
Atlantis Blue Emira

Atlantis Blue Emira

Reaction score
Looks like a clutch fluid line leak causing air in the clutch fluid line. No fluid pressure means that the pedal is not coming back up.

It could be the clutch master cylinder (which is external to the clutch so easy to get to and swap out) or something simpler like a poorly tightened clutch fluid line.
Thank you for the explanation. I am getting it towed to Lotus today and will let you know what they say. Hopefully it is an easy fix.

OP
Atlantis Blue Emira

Atlantis Blue Emira

Reaction score
The car going to redline (super scary I bet) is very odd which doesnt sound like it should be clutch related but.....Lotus.
Curious what they find the problem is.
yeah was scary, as I am breaking the car in and never have gone above 4,000 rpm, so was not happy that it red lined.

the engine smelled 'burnt' after.

will update this thread when I find out what it is.

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
the engine smelled 'burnt' after.
Since the O2 sensors weren't up to temp immediately after starting, the car probably ran a bit rich (?). That would smell unpleasant. Wouldn't worry too much about it. However, I'd worry about the car redlining on its own... that's a bit scary

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I suspect your rev on start is a byproduct of your clutch issue, though maybe not in the way that you expect.

Most drive-by-wire cars have an anti-stall feature that tries to compensate for expected load with throttle. It's possible that with the clutch not working properly, it's trying to compensate for a load state that doesn't actually exist, and is over-revving on the start event. I suspect that if you fix the clutch issue, the start "rev" will auto-magically disappear.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This is apparently a pretty well known issue on Evoras as well -- plastic master cylinder failing.

Thanks for info @GRP

OP
Atlantis Blue Emira

Atlantis Blue Emira

Reaction score
This is apparently a pretty well known issue on Evoras as well -- plastic master cylinder failing.

Thanks for info @GRP
oh wow, was not aware

OP
Atlantis Blue Emira

Atlantis Blue Emira

Reaction score
The Video explains it all, but some background. Didn't drive car for 2 weeks, had it on battery charge (was 100% and light green), doors locked.

Come back and cold started, and clutch stayed stuck on the floorboard, and had to pull it back with my foot.

On cold start, the car went red line (can hear it)--2nd video.

Doesn't go into gear (1st video).

Had to crop the video and save in 720p and 480p to be able to upload otherwise was too large of a file.

Turned car off, got out of car, locked it and unlocked it and restarted and same issue.

Called Lotus and they said first time they had this issue, but wondering worldwide if anyone else had this issue of clutch malfunction?

Not the best pic of the Lotus, LOL

My first towing experience in a new car

Attachments

• towing .jpg
    towing .jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 55
  • towing 2.jpg
    towing 2.jpg
    459.3 KB · Views: 56

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
At least they got to it quickly. Maybe they will at the dealer also.

Just curious what gear did you start the car in or N? Even with the car off it wont go into any gear?

Never knew either Lotus was using a plastic MC. Guess they have some ex-BMW engineers working there.

OP
Atlantis Blue Emira

Atlantis Blue Emira

Reaction score
At least they got to it quickly. Maybe they will at the dealer also.

Just curious what gear did you start the car in or N? Even with the car off it wont go into any gear?

Never knew either Lotus was using a plastic MC. Guess they have some ex-BMW engineers working there.
yeah was pretty quick

I started it in N. The car could go into gear when the car was off and in N, so could shift into all gears with the clutch being 'stuck' in down position, but once the car was on, could not go into gear.

Went to dealer, they said would hopefully get to it later today or tomorrow, but I sent them the video so they can start sending it to Lotus in case they know what the issue is.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm guessing the clutch is partially engaged. When you first start it up, the engine struggles against this additional friction but it breaks free and so it over-revs. The burning smell you are noticing is likely your clutch.

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

Thanks for info @GRP
My 2021 Evora GT never had issues with the clutch. Drove the car like demon
It’s just a heavy clutch

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm guessing the clutch is partially engaged. When you first start it up, the engine struggles against this additional friction but it breaks free and so it over-revs. The burning smell you are noticing is likely your clutch.
We got a winner. Together with @Porter s guess it's revving to compensate for the additional load of the partially engaged clutch this makes absolute sense.

OP
Atlantis Blue Emira

Atlantis Blue Emira

Reaction score

We have a winner @digilotus

Report back from my car in the shop: Looks like the master cylinder and dampering valve will need to be replaced.

Should ship parts from the UK and hopefully will have the car in my possession soon.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
We have a winner @digilotus

Report back from my car in the shop: Looks like the master cylinder and dampering valve will need to be replaced.

Should ship parts from the UK and hopefully will have the car in my possession soon.
That’s great news! Nothing major and relatively easy to fix… Hope you get it back shortly so you can finally enjoy your car!