• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Clutch clunk

Reaction score
Just a question to see if anyone else has clutch clunk on their Emira.

When the car is switched off and the clutch pedal is operated everything is fine. If you fire it up, car in neutral and operate the clutch pedal normally there is a noticeable clunk from the rear. Even using the clutch slowly you can hear it and when changing gear whilst driving too. It wasn't there before (or at least I never noticed it) and seems to be getting worse, it has appeared in the last couple of hundred miles, now over 3K. Anyone else? TIA.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Just a question to see if anyone else has clutch clunk on their Emira.

When the car is switched off and the clutch pedal is operated everything is fine. If you fire it up, car in neutral and operate the clutch pedal normally there is a noticeable clunk from the rear. Even using the clutch slowly you can hear it and when changing gear whilst driving too. It wasn't there before (or at least I never noticed it) and seems to be getting worse, it has appeared in the last couple of hundred miles, now over 3K. Anyone else? TIA.

Welcome to the forum @anothersportscar!

Just to clarify.. If the car is running in neutral and you press the clutch pedal, you hear clunk. Is that correct? Without moving the shifter, you still get the clunk? Do you get it as you press or release the pedal? Or both?

It could be many things, like a throw out bearing issue, something getting stuck and needing lubricant, or fluid might be low. Have you contacted your dealer yet?

OP
A
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @anothersportscar!

Just to clarify.. If the car is running in neutral and you press the clutch pedal, you hearth clunk. Is that correct? Without moving the shifter, you still get the clunk? Do you get it as you press or release the pedal? Or both?

It could be many things, like a throw out bearing issue, something getting stuck and needing lubricant, or fluid might be low. Have you contacted your dealer yet?
Hi, yes car in neutral with engine running, you hear the clunk when you release the clutch. Its been to the dealer and they checked fluids etc. I'm just interested to know if its just me, TADTS or signs of a problem to come.