Changes to "locked in" spec

Exige2000

Reaction score
Does anyone know why relatively minor changes to our order seem to potentially result in a delay of several months.
I imagine it's to do with just-in-time availability of parts that are stocked for the cars going down the assembly line.
However, they must have extra's of all parts to allow for damage/breakages etc and production hasn't even started on customer cars.

An example being a change from privacy glass to none. Surely they have extra glass of each type available. It's got to be more efficient to accommodate changes, rather than remove the entire build from the schedule and fit in further down the line.

Any thoughts, or perhaps insights from people who visited the factory?
I changed from yellow brake callipers to silver and was told this added one month ! with all the delays happening now it seems like I may be September ?
deposit 7th July

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I'd recommend to all that they accept their car as it is IF the change they need can be done by somebody else. Things like callipers can be painted any time. Even a roof can be wrapped black for not too much money and might look better for longer with PPF on it.

Even wheels you can paint over for a lot less than you might think. I have had a few refurbs on the GTC and took the chance to darken the wheels.

Before:

20160623_202631.jpg

After:

20220627_111838.jpg

Made it look a few years younger... might darken them again next time.

Pav

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I changed from yellow brake callipers to silver and was told this added one month ! with all the delays happening now it seems like I may be September ?
I'd recommend to all that they accept their car as it is IF the change they need can be done by somebody else. Things like callipers can be painted any time. Even a roof can be wrapped black for not too much money and might look better for longer with PPF on it.

Even wheels you can paint over for a lot less than you might think. I have had a few refurbs on the GTC and took the chance to darken the wheels.

Before:

View attachment 6999

After:

View attachment 7000

Made it look a few years younger... might darken them again next time.
I'm most likely going to need caliper colour change. Not sure if Bell & Colvill may be able to help before collection (which would be ideal) so interested in local recommendations.

I locked in yellow which was a mistake in retrospect. Had hoped they would be the yellow on the blue car at Goodwood but talking to a Lotus person confirmed production spec is the lemon yellow on the Nimbus car, to match the Lotus badge. Personally I think that's a mistake as every single supercar I saw yesterday with yellow calipers had the classic rich yellow. Including the Evija..!

I asked if I could change from yellow to silver and they said you can but all we can tell you is your call will be built 'sometime in 2023' (was told my locked in July build is now September).

calipers.jpg

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm most likely going to need caliper colour change. Not sure if Bell & Colvill may be able to help before collection (which would be ideal) so interested in local recommendations.

I locked in yellow which was a mistake in retrospect. Had hoped they would be the yellow on the blue car at Goodwood but talking to a Lotus person confirmed production spec is the lemon yellow on the Nimbus car, to match the Lotus badge. Personally I think that's a mistake as every single supercar I saw yesterday with yellow calipers had the classic rich yellow. Including the Evija..!

I asked if I could change from yellow to silver and they said you can but all we can tell you is your call will be built 'sometime in 2023' (was told my locked in July build is now September).

View attachment 7001
Everyone on here complained that the caliper yellow didn't match the badging. Probably why they changed it 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: DJS

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Everyone on here complained that the caliper yellow didn't match the badging. Probably why they changed it 🤣
Exactly what I was about to comment on. :ROFLMAO:

Personally I quite like the lemon yellow badge and matching calipers. Looks fresh and pops. The mustard yellow in comparison is a bit dull in comparison (to me) but appreciate this is a personal thing. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess. 🤷‍♂️

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
From my end I want the red calipers to be a bit more fire engine red and less maroon, LoL :ROFLMAO:

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

View attachment 7001

These folks do a lot of caliper painting, including experience doing Lotus ones:

Reactions: Pav

Emirahep

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I should have my spec "confirmed" end of May initially for Oct build Nov delivery.

I still have the "Save Configuration" option using the personal configuration link. Would changing anything there immediately move my build to next year? I guess it is highly likely going to be next year anyways with the original Oct build. DV, manual with silver wheels.

This thread reminded me of a question I have had for a while - I did the whole click link and save/confirm configuration but have never received a letter/pdf/document that actually confirms my final as ordered spec.

If this the same for all UK customers or does anyone have any form of written confirmation of their final spec ?

I did have an email a while back from CS asking me to “confirm the following spec” which itself was wrong (I have always wanted yellow calipers, their email said black). So I replied this was wrong and asked if I needed to do another online configuration. They said no and confirmed yellow calipers by email.

Would be good to have a written record of my agreed final spec….

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
This thread reminded me of a question I have had for a while - I did the whole click link and save/confirm configuration but have never received a letter/pdf/document that actually confirms my final as ordered spec.

If this the same for all UK customers or does anyone have any form of written confirmation of their final spec ?

I did have an email a while back from CS asking me to “confirm the following spec” which itself was wrong (I have always wanted yellow calipers, their email said black). So I replied this was wrong and asked if I needed to do another online configuration. They said no and confirmed yellow calipers by email.

I imagine this comes on the invoice before payment. All I have to go on is the configurator link assigned to me.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

I think this is one of the biggest errors on Lotus part.
ALL deposit holders should have been given sufficient notice on when they needed to lock in their final spec. Nice couple of feel good 'it's almost time' emails etc. They should also have been able to visit dealers and see DECENT interior and exterior paint options as per China. As well as photos of the cars in all colours of course....
Then once you finalised your spec you recieve a Thank You for your order email confirming the full specification along with a photo/video off configurator blah blah.
Off the back of this there would ideally be an app to give you your progress on your build and then same app becomes your car app with additional features once you take delivery ie where is my car, mpg figures, service next due etc etc
If we had that then a) customers wouldn't be locking in a possibly incorrect spec b) be so keen to make changes c) constantly feel the need to chase CS about updates and d) Lotus have a platform they can continue to develop and take advantage of stats on customer behaviour etc

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Our local dealer down-under does send through a confirmation email including full specification and option configuration. So I guess the issue is localised / dealer dependent.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Our local dealer down-under does send through a confirmation email including full specification and option configuration. So I guess the issue is localised / dealer dependent.
The fact that Lotus don't do it direct is the shocker

Billyidoliser

Emira Fan
Reaction score

I requested, to avoid any doubt, what specification they had me down for and CS emailed me back within the hour to confirm, it was correct but worth checking, dont want to wait 18 months and end up with the wrong car!!!:mad::cry::oops:

duff

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
When I requested confirmation of my spec I was told to check it using my personal configurator link.

For me this was correct and included the post lock change of calliper colour - requested late dec/early jan when it became apparent that the provisional spec we had provided had been locked in.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
After someone posted a few months back about an error with how their spec was recorded, I emailed LCC and listed what I thought my locked spec was, as I'd changed one item after my first indicative spec. They emailed back to confirm that was what they had on record.

I told LCC then that I thought the lack of a spec confirmation email from them was a big shortfall and potential source of issues.