Black pack and privacy glass

Russc

Reaction score
Really on the fence with these.

Going for Senica blue and am thinking of not going for the black pack and if i then prefer it after it`s easier just to get those parts wrapped in gloss black. Anything i`ve missed? The cleaning of the exhaust tips will be a sod i know, but apart from that i`m thinking i can add some of it, or all of it as i want to later.

Same with the privacy glass. Saw it at the factory and wasn`t 100% sure about it. Assume i could always get the glass tinted at a later date. Only thought would be whether the tint would hold on the rear glass with 1, the curve and 2 the heat produced by the engine?

What has everyone else specced and why?

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Going for Senica blue and am thinking of not going for the black pack and if i then prefer it after it`s easier just to get those parts wrapped in gloss black. Anything i`ve missed? The cleaning of the exhaust tips will be a sod i know, but apart from that i`m thinking i can add some of it, or all of it as i want to later.

Same with the privacy glass. Saw it at the factory and wasn`t 100% sure about it. Assume i could always get the glass tinted at a later date. Only thought would be whether the tint would hold on the rear glass with 1, the curve and 2 the heat produced by the engine?

You will save money by wrapping the roof in Black ppf......with the bonus its protective and removable.

I have privacy glass in my Dailey and it restricts clarity via rear mirror and 3/4 back view.......I'm going with both in my spec, lol.

denk0815

Reaction score
These are exactly my thoughts on tinting.
The film, especially from LLUMAR and other well-known manufacturers, should probably be able to withstand certain temperatures, but I have no idea what heat is radiated from the engine.

I see the greatest effort in the letters at the rear. I don't know what material they are made of, so I don't know how to colour them. Even with a stencil, it will probably never be possible to place them exactly to the original.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

@Russc You're the first to admit you saw the privacy glass in the flesh...!

Lotus told me its 24% light transmittable so blocks 3/4 of the light. Based on your perspective:
  • Did you see it outside in the sun as well as indoors? What was your first impression?
  • Did it look really black or you could still see the engine somewhat through the rear window?

OP
R

Russc

Reaction score
@Russc You're the first to admit you saw the privacy glass in the flesh...!

Lotus told me its 24% light transmittable so blocks 3/4 of the light. Based on your perspective:
  • Did you see it outside in the sun as well as indoors? What was your first impression?
  • Did it look really black or you could still see the engine somewhat through the rear window?
Hi, yes i saw it. Sadly not face to face as the car was on the production line and half way down with no boot fitted so i couldn`t see that part. None of the rear screens sitting around the factory had it either.

The difference between the drivers window to the black tinted rear window was what stood out. None of the cars outside had it on so i couldn`t comment on what it looked like.

I`d say that 24% sounds about right though, it wasn`t subtle.

695 to Emira

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I am going Seneca with Black Pack no privacy glass. I like the dark rear lettering and CBA to do it after delivery - I'd rather be driving it. The privacy glass was 5:50 for me, but what tipped the balance is I don't need tinted side windows and I want to see the engine. Privacy glass may well be OK. Privacy delete will be OK. Its that close a call for me and I may yet regret it....

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If you want the LOTUS badge in black, there is an easy way (without removing the individual letters):
I think the Lotus letters are high gloss black. Can you plastidip in gloss too or does it always come out as satin?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'm doing Black Pack and no privacy glass. Each of the elements of BP can be done afterwards if you like: black PPF/vinyl for the roof and cantrails and mirrors, black paint/dip for the LOTUS letters and tailpipes. The rear LOTUS letters and tail pipe finishers will be available as spares from Lotus in both finishes, if you don't want to paint them.

It's easier to add BP elements to a non-BP car than to replace the BP with non-BP - particularly painting the roof. So if in doubt, don't get BP and do it later if you want it.

I figure I don't need to partially obscure the engine hatch or the three-quarter windows for privacy or to protect from sun/UV (I'm in the UK and the car is garaged). The interior headlining is black and I've gone for black leather, so I want to maximise natural light into the cabin.

OP
R

Russc

Reaction score
I'm doing Black Pack and no privacy glass. Each of the elements of BP can be done afterwards if you like: black PPF/vinyl for the roof and cantrails and mirrors, black paint/dip for the LOTUS letters and tailpipes. The rear LOTUS letters and tail pipe finishers will be available as spares from Lotus in both finishes, if you don't want to paint them.

It's easier to add BP elements to a non-BP car than to replace the BP with non-BP - particularly painting the roof. So if in doubt, don't get BP and do it later if you want it.

I figure I don't need to partially obscure the engine hatch or the three-quarter windows for privacy or to protect from sun/UV (I'm in the UK and the car is garaged). The interior headlining is black and I've gone for black leather, so I want to maximise natural light into the cabin.
Think after looking at far too many photos that i`m just going to not get either and put the black on it if i need/want to. Opens the options for other finishes on the roof if i change my mind and to make the car individual.

Same re the interior, i`m going for black so if i can limit the darkness i know that will be a good thing.

Blue97

Reaction score
Dealer told me they were specifying there demos with Black pack as the roof looked much better factory painted than filmed

firstlotus

Reaction score
I think the Black Pack pricing is fair with what it would cost to do all the things it has and labor to install - Black roof and cantrails, mirrors, exhaust tips, Lotus lettering, AND the fewer people mess with / touch my car the better...! Can't put a price on that... And when I take delivery, I want to Drive the car not take it to a shop for 2 - 3 days and possibly have it scratched /dinged or whatever...
I'm hoping that the Privacy Glass will help with dimming the engine reflection against the rear window while driving... kinda like wearing polarized sunglasses...? And it's FREE...!
We'll see...
Did anyone turn down the FREE Homelink...LoL...

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
One of the things to consider for black pack is if you want that specific look and are thinking of just getting it wrapped — keep in mind the texture on almost all the vinyl films out there is pretty terrible. 3M, Avery, and quite a few others have gloss black and it looks like a horribly finished paint job with tons of orange peel.

There’s a brand or two that has a nicer glossy finished but it still isn’t as good as paint.

Madog30

Reaction score
Glad we are all different I'm black pack and privacy glass 😀 on Nimbus grey for the fighter cockpit look...
Same spec as I've opted for and for the same reason....... Going black alcantara upholstery and steering wheel with silver wheels:cool: Bring on July!!

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think the Black Pack pricing is fair with what it would cost to do all the things it has and labor to install - Black roof and cantrails, mirrors, exhaust tips, Lotus lettering, AND the fewer people mess with / touch my car the better...! Can't put a price on that... And when I take delivery, I want to Drive the car not take it to a shop for 2 - 3 days and possibly have it scratched /dinged or whatever...
I'm hoping that the Privacy Glass will help with dimming the engine reflection against the rear window while driving... kinda like wearing polarized sunglasses...? And it's FREE...!
We'll see...
Did anyone turn down the FREE Homelink...LoL...

Most of that list would just be installing the black bits at build time instead of silver bits so no extra labour cost at the factory and I doubt there's much difference in the parts cost to the factory.

I believe that Land Rover (for example) paint all of their (steel/alloy) body shells the chosen body colour first, and then a second paint shop visit is necessary for a black roof if specified as an option - this is their justification for most of the extra charge in their case.

However, as there's no "shell" on the Emira and all panels are painted before assembly I would imagine that Lotus could paint the black panels black from the start - a question for someone who's on a factory tour soon perhaps?

Free Homelink is only for US cars..... It's £200 (around $250) for the rest of us....

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yes and Homelink is for opening and closing your garage door opener without having to have a battery powered remote control clipped to your sun visor. If it's free, and you have a garage with an automatic door, I don't see why you wouldn't want it.

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Homelink (and Vehicle Tracker) aren't even listed as as options here. I had to ask Google to tell me what they do :rolleyes: