• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

❓ QUESTION Battery

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
As the proud owner of the only 2018 Racing Green Manual Evora in the United States, I was reminded that this vehicle needs to be plugged in likes it’s an EV anyway…

So I went to Autozone and got a new battery having forgotten to plug it in.

Anyone know the Emira battery situation?

1. Plug it in. Comes with a tender. Enjoy?
2. New technology. Don’t worry?
3. Not sure yet. Too early?

Thanks in advance!

#ForTheTender

G

Guest142

As the proud owner of the only 2018 Racing Green Manual Evora in the United States, I was reminded that this vehicle needs to be plugged in likes it’s an EV anyway…

So I went to Autozone and got a new battery having forgotten to plug it in.

Anyone know the Emira battery situation?

1. Plug it in. Comes with a tender. Enjoy?
2. New technology. Don’t worry?
3. Not sure yet. Too early?

Thanks in advance!

#ForTheTender
Really looking forward to an answer to this question. And great question TX. Don't know why I assumed it doesn't need a tender...thought I heard Gavin mention that it did not in one of the interviews he did but I'm not certain and speculating would be wrong on my part. Following this thread carefully for answers.

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread that was asking about car covers:

If you're on the Emira preorder list, then you may have gotten an email straight from Lotus called "Readying Your Ride for Seasonal Slumber" and it links to https://parts.lotuscars.com/ where you can find outdoor car covers a battery charger (although they don't have Emira-related items yet).

From the email:

Battery Charger
PN: LOTAC09030
MSRP: $79.99

OP
TXEMIRA

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread that was asking about car covers:

If you're on the Emira preorder list, then you may have gotten an email straight from Lotus called "Readying Your Ride for Seasonal Slumber" and it links to https://parts.lotuscars.com/ where you can find outdoor car covers a battery charger (although they don't have Emira-related items yet).

From the email:

Battery Charger
PN: LOTAC09030
MSRP: $79.99
So it’s a hint to the Tender Factor then I guess for sure… :/

OP
TXEMIRA

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Is the battery tender because the car is not driven daily? Never had to use one before... Thanks
There’s so much on this but basically the Evora uses some small 0.1 voltage daily or whatnot and it slowly drains the battery otherwise.
Mainly the alarm as I’ve read about it.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
On the Evora it's usually fine for 2-3 weeks before the parasitic drain flattens the battery. If it's a daily driver it won't be an issue.

I'd imagine for the Emira it'll be the same situation or better. If you're only using it every few weeks or store it for the winter then a battery tender is a good idea anyway. The Emira battery is in the boot/trunk behind a panel, so it should be possible to fit some terminal tails, plug the tender in to those, place the cable across the boot rubber seal and carefully close the boot lid over the cable. I do this with my Evora and this means the car can be closed and locked while on the tender.

I'm pretty sure it's not one of those lightweight lithium batteries Lotus fitted to some previous cars, which need to be plugged in more often than an EV and cost hundreds to replace.

p.rob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
On the Evora it's usually fine for 2-3 weeks before the parasitic drain flattens the battery. If it's a daily driver it won't be an issue.

I'd imagine for the Emira it'll be the same situation or better. If you're only using it every few weeks or store it for the winter then a battery tender is a good idea anyway. The Emira battery is in the boot/trunk behind a panel, so it should be possible to fit some terminal tails, plug the tender in to those, place the cable across the boot rubber seal and carefully close the boot lid over the cable. I do this with my Evora and this means the car can be closed and locked while on the tender.

I'm pretty sure it's not one of those lightweight lithium batteries Lotus fitted to some previous cars, which need to be plugged in more often than an EV and cost hundreds to replace.
I use a battery tender that plugs in the cigarett lighter in my GT4. So simple and practical, love it.

Only use it during the 5 months winter storage though.

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Evora has an extension/harness thingy in the trunk that is hardwired to the battery. It makes it easier to plug the Lotus supplied battery tender because the battery itself lives inside a little compartment, and this compartment has a cover with 4 screws on it.

OP
TXEMIRA

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The Evora has an extension/harness thingy in the trunk that is hardwired to the battery. It makes it easier to plug the Lotus supplied battery tender because the battery itself lives inside a little compartment, and this compartment has a cover with 4 screws on it.
Bingo. Attacking the battery change project this weekend myself…

Wish me luck.

‘Twas fun to try to open the lid, realize I can’t without the battery, then get to pull that cool latch thing behind the passenger seat. :)

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Bingo. Attacking the battery change project this weekend myself…

Wish me luck.

‘Twas fun to try to open the lid, realize I can’t without the battery, then get to pull that cool latch thing behind the passenger seat. :)
Try putting the existing battery on the tender for a day (assuming you haven't tried this already). It may come back to life. Sorry folks, we're having a 1:1 conversation here.

OP
TXEMIRA

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Try putting the existing battery on the tender for a day (assuming you haven't tried this already). It may come back to life. Sorry folks, we're having a 1:1 conversation here.
Yup. Tender won’t go without voltage. I could do the “trick it” or “jump it” but I also just wanted a new battery for the summer and for the new owner when I get the Emira. Also, wanted to see if I can do it myself on this bugger. :)

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

My 410 Sport Evora had a lithium ion battery and I kept it on a battery tender last winter when the weather was cold and I wasn't using the car. You need a lithium ion specfic battery tender. I did ask at the service centre how much a new battery would be and they advised around £1,500 ! I think if I would have swopped to a lead acid battery if it had needed replacing. I appreciate that the lithium ion is about weight saving, but the difference in weight is probably only that of a decent lunch for the two of us!!
I am expecting that the Emira will have a standard battery and if there is a cold snap next winter for more than a week or so I will put it on my regular battery charger/tender.
Also, I was advised that you should never attempt to jump start a car with a lithium ion battery.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I use a battery tender that plugs in the cigarett lighter in my GT4. So simple and practical, love it.

Only use it during the 5 months winter storage though.
Totally misunderstood this on first read, and was like "you trickle charge the battery from the cigarette lighter, which is powered by... the battery??" 🤯

Where can I get one of these amazing perpetual-motion infinite paradox batteries!?! :D

p.rob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Totally misunderstood this on first read, and was like "you trickle charge the battery from the cigarette lighter, which is powered by... the battery??" 🤯

Where can I get one of these amazing perpetual-motion infinite paradox batteries!?! :D
yeah well just to make it clear (just in case it still isn't :p), the battery tender charges the battery through the cigarett lighter port hehe

OP
TXEMIRA

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
OK all. I successfully replaced the Evora battery this weekend. Just a small item that’s not listed anywhere I looked for advice…

The alarm definitely went off when I hooked up the new one.
Quite a sound. Woke me up for sure.

Not looking forward to plugging in the car, even as little as once a week, but I guess that’s a small price to pay to keep these cars maintained.