Anyone nervous about street-parking their future Emira?

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
For about the third time this month, I just finished watching someone on the street outside of my building back into the car behind them while exiting from a parallel park, then simply drive off without even getting out to inspect the damage. This is starting to make me nervous about ever street-parking my future Emira... Anyone here have any thoughts on the matter?

I've always been of the opinion that wherever possible, nice cars should be treated just like any other car, meaning you shouldn't keep them locked away in a garage or actively avoid taking them out just because you're scared of them getting damaged or vandalized. But after seeing so many of these "bump-and-runs" lately, I'm starting to question this attitude. I don't know what's wrong with people lately. I don't remember it being this bad in past years...

The building where I live has secured, underground parking, so my car will be fine for most of its life. But I still always wanted the option of taking the car out to dinner, movies, etc., just like any other car. I hate the idea of spending all of this money on a car, then being afraid to drive or park it anywhere. To me that's no way to spend one's ownership experience, and I think it's a disservice to the car too. In my view, if you're always "living in fear" every time you're out and about then you're just going to build negative, fear-based associations with the car, and then it's just a matter of time before the car no longer brings you any joy, and you sell it.

Maybe we just need to have a "Que sera, sera" mentality, and simply use and enjoy the car, knowing full well that one day someone's going to back into it and then drive off.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Just find a parking garage when you go out and get some extra steps by parking away from others. Street parking is just an uncontrollable risk. See the grand tour episode about French cars and street parking for a laugh.

Kammi

Reaction score
In my job, I deal with what is known in Germany as "unauthorized removal from the scene of an accident" on a daily basis.

Here it is a criminal offense that, depending on the extent of the damage to the other car, is punished with the withdrawal of a driver's license and a fine.

And yes, it's getting bigger every year. I don't know why either..

The problem here in Germany is that, for example, the parking lots of the supermarkets and also the public roads are not allowed to be monitored with video.

Without a witness who can remember the correct number plate, it is therefore very difficult to identify the fugitive driver.

That's why I was always worried about my Elise and will be even more concerned about my Emira when she comes along...

regards

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I hate parking my car on the street OR in parking garages here in Spain as people do not respect cars. They open their door into yours and think nothing of it; they back into it or frontways, either which way.
This is very frustrating to me so I go OUT of my way to avoid being close to anyone.
A little common sense is called for, but in France, Spain, Italy, Greece..... you would be very lucky to not have any dents on your car within a few months if you daily your car.
As above, park away as much as you can, from anyone else.
Make sure it is always clean, I think people care less about your car if they see you dont care about it either ;). Im sure you will though!

Mangoose

Reaction score
I share the same concern. I would have thought that in an era where so many cars have a back-up camera, there would be less of that. Over the last few years, I've come to know the best street parking spots in downtown Ottawa. So for instance, I'll park in spots where only 1 car fits, where there might be no parking in front and a fire hydrant behind. But yeah, I'm of the mindset that we shouldn't avoid driving our cars over fear of that. Life's just too short to worry about something like that.

695 to Emira

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I am going to use the car as a daily driver and maybe my only car. Had a 911 which got snagged in a Tesco car park and took the view that at least I was using it. Didn’t get it fixed and just as well as it got caught again in exactly the same place. The alternative is to garage it and never use it like the RS I had and ended up selling. I enjoy things I use daily the most and have moved on from keeping things for best. Life is too short.

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I am going to use the car as a daily driver and maybe my only car. Had a 911 which got snagged in a Tesco car park and took the view that at least I was using it. Didn’t get it fixed and just as well as it got caught again in exactly the same place. The alternative is to garage it and never use it like the RS I had and ended up selling. I enjoy things I use daily the most and have moved on from keeping things for best. Life is too short.
Life of nice cars,
1. You walk farther than most.
2. You drive around parking lots looking for the best spots.
3. You ask to sit in the window to look and admire your ride.
4. You get to explain what it is alot.
5. You will be treated differently.
Some males will admire the car
All females will admire you.
6. You will wear a smile more often..
Try not to worry, enjoy the ride and all the smiles 😊🥰☺️😃😁

OP
eriegz

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
expectations-to-bro-car-cool-how-photoshoot-reality-1981259.png

Other than this part, I mostly agree with your assessment. 😂

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
As long as you’re not street parking it in San Francisco, you’ll be fine.
😱 that the shits drove a Ferrari in San Francisco, had to be very careful where we parked. Avoided some areas all together. New York City same way.
Got to love Texas

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
In my job, I deal with what is known in Germany as "unauthorized removal from the scene of an accident" on a daily basis.

Here it is a criminal offense that, depending on the extent of the damage to the other car, is punished with the withdrawal of a driver's license and a fine.

And yes, it's getting bigger every year. I don't know why either..

The problem here in Germany is that, for example, the parking lots of the supermarkets and also the public roads are not allowed to be monitored with video.

Without a witness who can remember the correct number plate, it is therefore very difficult to identify the fugitive driver.

That's why I was always worried about my Elise and will be even more concerned about my Emira when she comes along...

regards
Driving off from a collision is technically illegal here in the UK too, but the police no longer treat it as an offence (unless someone is injured). Someone reversed into my Elise recently while having an altercation with another driver. They didn't stop, just drove off. I wasn't present, but an independent witness got the registration and a full description of both the car and the driver, and left their details saying they would be willing to talk to the police. I contacted the police and their response was that it was not in the public interest to pursue it...

OP
eriegz

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Driving off from a collision is technically illegal here in the UK too, but the police no longer treat it as an offence (unless someone is injured). Someone reversed into my Elise recently while having an altercation with another driver. They didn't stop, just drove off. I wasn't present, but an independent witness got the registration and a full description of both the car and the driver, and left their details saying they would be willing to talk to the police. I contacted the police and their response was that it was not in the public interest to pursue it...
Argh, that sounds so frustrating... 🤦

Mangoose

Reaction score
Life of nice cars,
1. You walk farther than most.
2. You drive around parking lots looking for the best spots.
3. You ask to sit in the window to look and admire your ride.
4. You get to explain what it is alot.
5. You will be treated differently.
Some males will admire the car
6. You will wear a smile more often..
Try not to worry, enjoy the ride and all the smiles 😊🥰☺️😃😁
I'll add to that...
7. No matter how far back you park in a parking lot to avoid other vehicles, some random car will park right against your car.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I will almost never street park it, and if I do it’ll be a spot on the end or a solo spot between driveways or something.

I don’t trust anyone. Small car, easy to not see. The slightest scratch on the nose or tail will be right on key design elements.

This was one of the reasons I’ve daily driven a Jeep. Go ahead and back into it, it won’t care. Your car will come away dented and mine will shrug it off.

switchlanez

Emira Fan
Reaction score
One reason I used to favor the Fiero or Corvette or Lotuses now including the Emira is the fiberglass composite panels. They should be [but not completely] more dent resistant than sheet metal. And easier to repair spot blemishes.

Last edited:

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I will almost never street park it, and if I do it’ll be a spot on the end or a solo spot between driveways or something.
I used to do this all the time (London) on my road, which is admittedly relatively narrow, cars parked both side, room for one between. My car has twice been hit (minor damage) and I've seen 3 more serious crashes with cars parked on the ends as well, just on the one street and all in the space of about 2 years.

Now I won't park on the ends, park between other cars and use them as protection from the idiots driving down the road!

Tailslides

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Not really nervous about street parking, I will ensure I avoid ever being in that situation.

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Well, at some point, the risk of damage when parking outside just becomes part of life.

I still remember freaking out when my first car ('98 Chrysler Sebring Coupe, nothing exciting by you guys' standards clearly) got a tiny dent in the bumper. Thinking back it was no biggie at all. But as a poor college kid, it was the majority of my then net worth...

Yet over time, you learn that these things are inevitable. Might as well chill out.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
A car looking as exotic as the Emira can attract unwanted attention if parked on the streets…. But if one must, then it’s unavoidable. In the UK, people key cars a lot…… a real pest.