• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Anyone having trunk issues?

Blackthought_

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Received my car it’s been relatively drama free and am thoroughly enjoying it but keep having the annoying red trunk light come up saying the trunk is not closed properly. I’ve had my fair share of lotus’s over the years and am no spring chicken when it comes to the trunk being finicky.

What method are you guys using to close your trunk? I hear some folks closing it hard, some closing it soft etc.

When I was examining the the trunk latch, it appears to be some sort of what I’ll call a dual latch mechanism where it appears to lock after one click, but, the mechanism can be pushed to a second click where I believe it actually locks. If you close the trunk on only the first click, it will get stuck and you have to yank on it to actually open the trunk (the key fob won’t even open it). I used a bit of oil to lubricate the latch and will test out later today.

Anyone else have trunk issues?

scc.131.fe

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I set the trunk to that height where the pistons hold it in neutral (not rising, not lowering) and then just send it down with a thumb from there. No problems.

LuckysDad

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The trickle charger cable is the biggest culprit of my trunk issues...
PXL_20240511_225940999.jpg

Biggles of Norwich

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Close it hard.
If I close it lightly and it doesn't double latch it's a real pain in the ass to get it open.
I agree close it hard.
I have found that if it doesn't fully latch, press down fairly hard on it then hold down the boot (trunk) open button on the remote. There is then a "thunk" and it opens.

Last edited:

Atlantis Blue Emira

Reaction score
Off-topic, but you could put a towel on the trunk and run the trickle charger wire through the slot below the rear window. That’s what I have been doing.
Exactly what I do, is a little hassle to set up but then won't have to worry about trunk wires being damaged or trunk issues

Attachments

• Charging Lotus .jpg
    Charging Lotus .jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Charging Lotus 2.jpg
    Charging Lotus 2.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 79

SONOFEMERY

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The slamming method works pretty well: doesn't have to be slammed so hard that you feel like you're going to shatter the rear glass, but has to be slammed hard enough to double latch. Not ideal but works.

However I prefer just pushing it down softly: close the hatch, and about 2 or 3 inches in from the tip of the ducktail, in the very center, I give it a solid push down with my body weight. Feels like the more gentle option to me.

912Matt

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The slamming method works pretty well: doesn't have to be slammed so hard that you feel like you're going to shatter the rear glass, but has to be slammed hard enough to double latch. Not ideal but works.

However I prefer just pushing it down softly: close the hatch, and about 2 or 3 inches in from the tip of the ducktail, in the very center, I give it a solid push down with my body weight. Feels like the more gentle option to me.
Agree, this is the method I use; 2 parts, close first (not slam), then ‘lean’ on it using body weight. Have to say I’ve had my car just over a year, and the mechanism might have softened up a bit, as doesn’t give me any issues now like it did for the first few months

OP
B

Blackthought_

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Agree, this is the method I use; 2 parts, close first (not slam), then ‘lean’ on it using body weight. Have to say I’ve had my car just over a year, and the mechanism might have softened up a bit, as doesn’t give me any issues now like it did for the first few months
Ahh that’s good to know. Do you lean on it with your body weight where the latch is? (I imagine like you are doing CPR)

EMG

Reaction score
It took me a few minutes- but the gap under the rear window is perfect to run the cable without crimping the wire in the rear hatch.

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Aside from making sure you have closed the hatch properly it can also be worthwhile making sure you're careful with the key, I've found that the buttons can be easy to accidentally press and have pocket activated the boot release on the key before, leading to the warning on the drivers display - though it does seem better now I've put one of the leather cases on it.

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
For those running the cord through the gap under the window... are you still connecting to the battery through the trunk/boot or are you going through the engine bay?

Subw00er

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hold it halfway open, then persuade it down firmly - more on the slam side than the gentle side.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts