• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Any idea which version is lightest weight ?

IanO

Reaction score
i4 Base Edition with no options at 1405kg is lightest. V6 First Edition Auto with all options is 1458kg and heaviest.

Wouldn't the base i4 with forged wheels and 2 piece brake discs be the lightest?

Andrew

Reaction score
Purely on an engine base, disregarding the transmission and any other options, what's the weight difference between the i4 and V6?

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Wouldn't the base i4 with forged wheels and 2 piece brake discs be the lightest?
Yes theoretically but curb weights don't usually calculate based on optional equipment unless they are included on a very high percentage of expected units sold. So even if they are lighter in some particular configurations it wouldn't be represented in the EU DIN weight or the US curb weight figures.

I think what TomE is referring to here is the EU DIN weight figure, which makes sense to me. That's typically standard base configuration of the trim level ("model"), with 90% fuel fill, no driver, and no luggage or other payload.

Davebeats

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That's what I'm thinking, but with the forged wheels and 2 piece brakes that come with the FE, unless the 2 piece are optional on the base, which I would hope they are. Top Gear mentioned the base comes with 1 piece steel vs the 2 piece aluminum and steel on FE.

Porter

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That's what I'm thinking, but with the forged wheels and 2 piece brakes that come with the FE, unless the 2 piece are optional on the base, which I would hope they are. Top Gear mentioned the base comes with 1 piece steel vs the 2 piece aluminum and steel on FE.
The final claimed weights may be updated as regional and national model homologation completes for each model.

OP
kratedisease

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
i4 Base Edition with no options at 1405kg is lightest. V6 First Edition Auto with all options is 1458kg and heaviest.

I have to admit that the I4 weight is very very impressive indeed. It costs dookie dollars to make a car that light today, equipped as it is.

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The AMG FE is getting more and more tempting….

Porter

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have to admit that the I4 weight is very very impressive indeed. It costs dookie dollars to make a car that light today, equipped as it is.
The AMG FE is getting more and more tempting….
Honestly though, the ~3100 lb claimed DIN weight for the I4 base and the ~3215 lb claimed DIN weight for the V6 FE are not that far apart. The exact delta is something like 127 lbs which is just not enough for me to get particularly bent about.

It's not like we're comparing it with an S2 Elise which was 757kg (~1670lb). That's an actually light car, and 53 extra kg would be a huge jump. In this case the difference between the two models represents an addition of just 3.8% over the base weight.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Purely on an engine base, disregarding the transmission and any other options, what's the weight difference between the i4 and V6?

I don't remember the exact weights, but I looked it up last summer and the AMG was something like ~30lbs lighter than the Toyota V6. I assumed the AMG auto trans is heavier though, so maybe it balances out.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
For identical specs, either FE or Base, the V6 car is about 30kg heavier than the i4 car.

20 kg of that difference is i4 + turbo + DCT + ancillaries + cooling kit versus V6 + SC + manual + ancillaries + cooling kit.

The other 10kg is because the i4 sits in an aluminium subframe, whereas the V6 is in a steel one.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Honestly though, the ~3100 lb claimed DIN weight for the I4 base and the ~3215 lb claimed DIN weight for the V6 FE are not that far apart. The exact delta is something like 127 lbs which is just not enough for me to get particularly bent about.

It's not like we're comparing it with an S2 Elise which was 757kg (~1670lb). That's an actually light car, and 53 extra kg would be a huge jump. In this case the difference between the two models represents an addition of just 3.8% over the base weight.
The difference of 53kg between i4 Base and V6 FE is roughly the same as a tank of fuel or a petite passenger.

We’ve probably all noticed a slight difference in a car’s performance between empty tank and full, but only if it’s quite light to start with. A few minutes after filling up it’s probably forgotten.

My S1 Exige in comparison is 750kg (so two of them weigh the same as a 911) and a passenger adds 10% to the weight. You certainly feel that.

Last edited:

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
@TomE how do you know that the 1458kg weight figure from the V6FE spec sheet refers to to the car being equipped with the auto trans? And do you also have a weight figure for the V6FE with manual trans? That's probably another 5-10kg less weight, right?

forest

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
@TomE how do you know that the 1458kg weight figure from the V6FE spec sheet refers to to the car being equipped with the auto trans? And do you also have a weight figure for the V6FE with manual trans? That's probably another 5-10kg less weight, right?
1,405kg (Unladen Weight DIN) / 1,458kg (Kerb Weight DIN)

TomAce

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Found on Wikipedia:
The manual transmission weighs 24 lb (11 kg) less than the automatic.

forest

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The weight of the M139 engine is 160.5 kg.
The weight of the M177 V8 engine is 209 kg, while the Toyota 2GR-FE engine weighs 164 kg.
I do not know how much auxiliary equipment is included in these weights, but considering the DCT mechanism, etc., there may not be a big difference between the two.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
1,405kg (Unladen Weight DIN) / 1,458kg (Kerb Weight DIN)
That's wrong! 1.405kg is DIN weight for the Base i4, 1.458kg is DIN weight for the V6FE (with automatic as @TomE said), so the 1.458kg includes the heavy seats, KEF audio system and all the other extra stuff that no other manufacturer ever included in their weight figures. DIN weight means all fluids filled up to 100%, fuel filled up to 90%, driver and luggage is NOT included.
@TomAce If the manual trans really is 11kg lighter than the auto, this would mean that the first edition V6 manual weighs 1447kg fully loaded with all it's extras. That's quite competitive and I'm sure an equally equipped GTS 4.0 is not lighter at all. One thing is for sure: The day the Emira enters my driveway, my scales will already lay there waiting for it.

Last edited: