Any dates yet for I4 review cars and embargo etc?

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I thought I saw a post the other day suggesting there might be an I4 out for review. I was wondering if any dates have been mooted yet for when the reviews might land? I seem to remember we had more information when then V6 was nearing that stage.

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The Emira I4 (2.0 Turbo AMG) is a very rare car. It has been available to order for over 2 years, but until Goodwood 2023, it was never properly ‘unveiled’ or presented to the press and the public. Especially its engine and exhaust sound has been actively suppressed for public view (and hearing) by the manufacturer. One example is the YouTube version of the UK TV-program ‘A new Dawn’ which was deleted from international viewing (supposedly for copyright reasons), and when some part of the video reappeared, the portion that contained the sound of the I4 had been cut out. Even at Goodwood 2023 where the I4 was driven up the hill, it became clear that the sound from the I4 engine and exhaust was relatively uninteresting and similar to most other 4-cylinder turbo based cars, as well as the similarity to the sound from the Mercedes AMG 45 S where the engine comes from. In another video from Goodwood 2023, sound recorded from the interior while the I4 is racing up the Goodwood Hill, indicate that this interior sound (from engine and exhaust) may be “enhanced” - possibly via piping or electronic amplification. But there is no word from secretive Lotus.

Every Emira fan wants Lotus to be frank and open about every aspect of the Emira I4 2.0 Turbo AMG. We also want it to be reviewed, and have those reviews published.

The impression is that despite all the time that has passed; the I4 2.0 Turbo AMG version of the Emira is still under development. Of course, recently Lotus was forced to ship a batch to China, because in that market the I4 was determined to be the main version to be imported and sold. It has been reported in this forum that certain opinion leaders in China will be the first to drive these early cars; indicating that changes may be requested. There is also the rumors that Chinese market cars have been increased in power (ECU tuning?) to 400 hp, while all other markets get 360 - 365 hp. Personally I do not see this as a “show-stopper” since 360 - 365 hp may indeed be the proper value this particular car needs, and that will fit it the best.

So, there is a sneaking impression that the I4 2.0 Turbo AMG version of Emira has not yet been 100% finalized, and that this is the reason why Lotus is not asking any reviewers to test this car and publish reviews.

Disclaimer: I have an Emira I4 2.0 Turbo AMG on order since the very beginning, early days when (a dummy) was first presented in Hethel 2021. I intend to stay firm with my order and go through with it. Despite of some weaknesses; I still believe in the car, and I hope for a happy ending and a delightful car to drive into my own “twilight”.

Last edited:

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Smoking Tire said they'd have a track review of i4 "soon".

Everyday Driver is releasing their Emira test drive pod on Sunday, which is the dedicated review after they released a glowing Emira/C8/Cayman comparison. That's the V6 tho.

OP
Andy H

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Emira I4 (2.0 Turbo AMG) is a very rare car...
I agree. We got the V6 by degrees with various pre-prod cars doing the rounds leading to lots of qualified early reviews. Hopefully the I4 will be the sum of the latest (resolved) V6 production incarnation plus the AMG engine without many increments being drip-fed to the press. Given we know what the A45s sounds like, Lotus were never going to perform miracles on that front. Unfortunately, I think this is an inevitable transition in the move to downsize engines and make up the deficit with forced induction and hybridisation. Look at the new C63S - you couldn't get a more stark transition than that. I would love the I4 to sounds like a V6 / V8 / V10 but I don't think those engines are going to exist in the mainstream soon alas. I'll just be glad to have it as a last stand against the EV revolution!

OP
Andy H

Andy H

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Everyday Driver is releasing their Emira test drive pod on Sunday, which is the dedicated review after they released a glowing Emira/C8/Cayman comparison. That's the V6 tho.
Yes, I thought there'd been some chatter. Good! Well hopefully the others won't be far behind. I can feel the window of opportunity closing before I get that inevitable email from LCC asking me to commit to my order. Assuming there'll be anyone left there to send it by then...

d15b7

Reaction score
One thing that some folks don’t seem to understand (mostly the average person who really isn’t into engineering or engines) is that there is no way that a manufacturer can make an I4 turbo sound ‘as good or better’ as a V6, or I6 (or V8, or V10, V12 etc). The exhaust pulses/firing order are what they are, and no amount of header design/tube length/muffler design can change that basic fact. It is possible to make a turbo 4 cyl sound ‘nice’ but it’s never going to be mistaken for the great sounding engines.

Now, of course Lotus can do the synthetic electronic playing on the stereo engine noises thing, but I know personally I want none of that. Don’t get me wrong - I love turbo I4s (my current daily driver is a ‘18 FK8 CTR and I think it sounds fine, but it’s certainly not soul stirring.

The only way to really make an I4 sound incredible is to get the frequency of those pulses way way up (think of a super bike screaming through the gears shifting at 13k+). But of course that’s not happening with a 2 liter road going turbo I4 (and would never be possible on a road going modern sportscar)

So for those hoping for some sort of miracle where the I4 turbo will ‘sound as good as the V6’? No way. Unless that synthetic piped in music turns out to be a technological breakthrough. I do strongly believe that the AMG I4 turbo with DCT will be the better performing car. Certainly the way better tuners car. But for me I need the soul stirring (which looks like can be really unlocked with the 3rd cat delete if the stock sound isn’t loud enough for you) of the V6 manual, so that’s what I ordered.

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
One thing that some folks don’t seem to understand (mostly the average person who really isn’t into engineering or engines) is that there is no way that a manufacturer can make an I4 turbo sound ‘as good or better’ as a V6, or I6 (or V8, or V10, V12 etc). The exhaust pulses/firing order are what they are, and no amount of header design/tube length/muffler design can change that basic fact. It is possible to make a turbo 4 cyl sound ‘nice’ but it’s never going to be mistaken for the great sounding engines.

Now, of course Lotus can do the synthetic electronic playing on the stereo engine noises thing, but I know personally I want none of that. Don’t get me wrong - I love turbo I4s (my current daily driver is a ‘18 FK8 CTR and I think it sounds fine, but it’s certainly not soul stirring.

There are actually no-one in this thread (especially not me) who have suggested that we want the Turbo I4 to sound like an I6, V6, V8, V10, or V12.

I personally currently own two I6 twin turbo cars, one of them with a full Akrapovic exhaust system, that most likely sound a helluvalot better than the ‘18 FK8 CTR. These are among the 6-cylinder engines that are generally considered to sound excellent; but there are still the Ferraris, the Lamborghinis, the Paganis, and the Bugattis above them;-)

However, I completely agree that the goal should simply be to make the M139 in the Lotus application sound like a nice (not extreme) turbo 4-cylinder engine. Lotus has a long history of making 4-cylinder cars that sounded ‘fine’ (if not soul stirring). I think in fact it is a big misunderstanding to expect a Lotus to sound like that!

Regarding the possible engine/sound enhancement in the I4 interior compartment (which I believe I am the only one on this forum that has suggested there is such possibility), I thought I had made it very clear that I am totally and vehemently against such enhancements, especially if they are done by electronic means.

I want Lotus to come clean regarding whether any such ‘enhancement’ exists in the I4 AMG version of the Emira. This has by no means been proven to exist at this time.

Finally: it is not at all realistic to create a more aggressive (high frequency) sound in a four-cylinder engine by having it turning at high revs all the time. A street car must clear emission levels and fuel consumption to meet regulations.

It could well be that the Emira I4 may well sound within (and possible below) the ‘18 FK8 CTR, which I do not personally see as being a problem.

Personally I definitely do not at all want it to sound anything like an Emira V6. Lotus customers who desire this sound should simply sign up for the V6 version of the car.

I hope that I have made myself clear?

Attachments

• IMG_8088.jpeg
    IMG_8088.jpeg
    330.4 KB · Views: 46

maggierose

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Interesting that Lotus has a press embargo on the AMG Emira. The latest US Youtube reviews have me wondering if I shouldn't pass on a FE i4 and wait for a less de-tuned version. I can't wait to find out why our Chinese friends are getting 400 bhp while the rest of the world will be receiving 360...

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Interesting that Lotus has a press embargo on the AMG Emira. The latest US Youtube reviews have me wondering if I shouldn't pass on a FE i4 and wait for a less de-tuned version. I can't wait to find out why our Chinese friends are getting 400 bhp while the rest of the world will be receiving 360...

I am gambling on getting the 360 moved to a 400 in fairly short order, maybe even the AMG spec 416

Jack Stone

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Lotus is currently promoting the I4 as the (cheaper) entry-level FE version (other than in China), so can't undercut the V6 by offering it with the same (or more) power

modena2904

Reaction score

Smoking Tire posted on Instagram (in the comments) that the I4 embargo lifts on Aug 8. I suspect we'll see a bunch of reviews/comparisons released (at least I'm hoping so).