An ode to roads.

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
A Mustang is the perfect car for the PCH. If you ever do it again, Hertz inexplicably rents 900hp Shelby versions.

Iceland is one of my favorite places. This past year I decided to do a drive inspired by my all-time favorite band Sigur Ros, a 24-hour drive around the ring road on the summer solstice, where there’s 24 hours of daylight. (They did something similar that was live streamed a few years prior). I rented a new Defender for the journey. Loved it, but rented a Jimny a few days later for the “Ring Road 2” through the West Fjords and that Jimny was so incredibly charming I would have rather had it for the larger trek.

In Iceland I’ve had great experiences with Blue Car. Use them exclusively now.

View attachment 8928

View attachment 8927
Great shots!!

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
A Mustang is the perfect car for the PCH. If you ever do it again, Hertz inexplicably rents 900hp Shelby versions.

Iceland is one of my favorite places. This past year I decided to do a drive inspired by my all-time favorite band Sigur Ros, a 24-hour drive around the ring road on the summer solstice, where there’s 24 hours of daylight. (They did something similar that was live streamed a few years prior). I rented a new Defender for the journey. Loved it, but rented a Jimny a few days later for the “Ring Road 2” through the West Fjords and that Jimny was so incredibly charming I would have rather had it for the larger trek.

I adore Jimny's, it's a shame they're not sold in the US. I've been in Iceland since April for work and have seen some really nicely modified ones that look like the ultimate little adventure mobile. Good to know about Blue Car if I'm ever back here, can't say I recommend Avis...

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

View attachment 8928

View attachment 8927
Great pics. We'll be going back there sometime, probably next year, to explore some more.

An endurance cyclist, Jake Catterall, cycled the ring road non-stop on a time trial bike last year - 1400km in 63 hours. An amazing way to see the place.

OP
GetawayDriving

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Just set out from Boston en route to San Diego for the West Coast Lotus Meet.

I’ve driven an Exige across before, taking Route 66. This time an Elise belonging to a buddy, and I’ll be checking off Colorado’s Million Dollar Highway on the way.

I guess this means I need to find an Evora to drive across, so I can say I’ve done it in all 3 (and eventually the Emira).

9365DF90-42F3-481F-8629-4A2EB9A16AB3.jpeg

RENDERMAN

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
For the drivers, right? I think that's everyone here. I want to know about the best road you've ever driven. Where is it? What did you drive? Which roads do you want to drive in your Emira? What if time, money and shipping your Emira were no object?

I'm a bit obsessed with this. And by that I mean I have a bucket list of the world's best roads and I've been working my way through it since about 2016. When possible, I try to pair the right car with the right road. I've completed:

USA
Route 66 (Exige S240)
California 1 (Shelby Mustang)
Beartooth Highway / Montana (BMW 330ci)
Chief Joseph Highway / Wyoming (BMW 330ci)
Tail of the Dragon (ND Miata + Model 3 Performance)
Road to Hana (JK Wrangler)
Blue Ridge Parkway (ND Miata)
Cherohala Skyway (Model 3 Performance)
Apache Trail (1965 Mustang)
Mt. Washington Auto Road (BMW i3)
Highway to the stars / Mt. Palomar (Elise / Alfa 4C)

Canada
Cabot Trail (Lotus Elise / Jeep Wrangler)
Viking Trail / Newfoundland / Fogo Island (Wrangler)
Sea to Sky Highway (Honda Fit lol)
Circuit de Gilles Villeneuve (Wrangler lol)

UK
North Coast 500 (Caterham)
Cheddar Pass (Clio)

Italy
Amalfi Coast (Fiat 500)
Como to Bellagio (Fiat 500)

Iceland
Route 1 ring road (on the solstice!) (Defender)
West Fjords "ring road 2" (Suzuki Jimny)

Norway
Trollstigen (Golf)
Atlantic Ocean Road (Golf)
Lysebotn (Golf)
Stalheimskleiva (Golf)
Bjorgavegen (Golf)

Portugal
Southwest Coast (Golf)
Portimão Autódromo (Alpine A110)

New Zealand
West coast of the South Island (Corolla hatch lol)
Road to Milford sound (Corolla hatch)
Crown Range Road (Corolla hatch)
Queenstown to Glenorchy (Corolla hatch)
Takaka Hill Highway (Corolla hatch)
Mt. Cook Road (Corolla hatch)
Burkes Pass (Corolla hatch)
Arthur's Pass (Corolla hatch)

Australia
Great Ocean Road (Holden)
Black Spur (Holden)

After all of these, I think the best road I've ever driven (or at least, my favorite) was Takaka Hill Highway in New Zealand. Just a perfect stretch of pavement.

I still have a lot of ground to cover. These are on my list, but not yet completed:

Stelvio Pass / Italy
Furka Pass / Switzerland
Col du Torini / France
Millau Viaduct / France
Monaco street circuit / Monaco
Glossglockner / Austria
Nurburgring / Germany
Romance Road / Germany
Sa Calobra / Mallorca
Conor Pass / Ireland
Transfagarasan Highway / Romania
Denali Highway / Alaska
Tianmen Mountain Road / China
Ruta 40 / Argentina
White Rim Trail / Utah
San Juan Skyway / Colorado
Going-to-the-sun road / Montana
Sustenpass / Switzerland

Tracks:
Spa / Belgium
Silverstone / UK
Monza / Italy
Imola / Italy
Laguna Seca / USA
Circuit of the Americas / USA
Daytona / USA
Talladega / USA

So, that's me. I want to keep expanding this list, so I want to hear about all of the roads you love or dream about.

I've attached a few images of my travels.
What the heck, are you an Uber driver? o_O :ROFLMAO: the best in America is the tail of the Dragon, and best tag too!!

41300139.JPG

Last edited:
OP
GetawayDriving

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
What the heck, are you an Uber driver? o_O :ROFLMAO: the best in America is the tail of the Dragon, and best tag too!!

View attachment 9580

I probably should have charged for rides, it would have helped cover those costs.

I’ve run the dragon in a few different cars, it’s a fun road for sure. On my way now to cross off Colorado’s Million Dollar Highway and maybe Pikes Peak…

RENDERMAN

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I probably should have charged for rides, it would have helped cover those costs.

I’ve run the dragon in a few different cars, it’s a fun road for sure. On my way now to cross off Colorado’s Million Dollar Highway and maybe Pikes Peak…
Pretty impressive resume and financial status!! i can only watch these places on TV :)

kenniGT

Reaction score
For the drivers, right? I think that's everyone here. I want to know about the best road you've ever driven. Where is it? What did you drive? Which roads do you want to drive in your Emira? What if time, money and shipping your Emira were no object?

I'm a bit obsessed with this. And by that I mean I have a bucket list of the world's best roads and I've been working my way through it since about 2016. When possible, I try to pair the right car with the right road. I've completed:

USA
Route 66 (Exige S240)
California 1 (Shelby Mustang)
Beartooth Highway / Montana (BMW 330ci)
Chief Joseph Highway / Wyoming (BMW 330ci)
Tail of the Dragon (ND Miata + Model 3 Performance)
Road to Hana (JK Wrangler)
Blue Ridge Parkway (ND Miata)
Cherohala Skyway (Model 3 Performance)
Apache Trail (1965 Mustang)
Mt. Washington Auto Road (BMW i3)
Highway to the stars / Mt. Palomar (Elise / Alfa 4C)

Canada
Cabot Trail (Lotus Elise / Jeep Wrangler)
Viking Trail / Newfoundland / Fogo Island (Wrangler)
Sea to Sky Highway (Honda Fit lol)
Circuit de Gilles Villeneuve (Wrangler lol)

UK
North Coast 500 (Caterham)
Cheddar Pass (Clio)

Italy
Amalfi Coast (Fiat 500)
Como to Bellagio (Fiat 500)

Iceland
Route 1 ring road (on the solstice!) (Defender)
West Fjords "ring road 2" (Suzuki Jimny)

Norway
Trollstigen (Golf)
Atlantic Ocean Road (Golf)
Lysebotn (Golf)
Stalheimskleiva (Golf)
Bjorgavegen (Golf)

Portugal
Southwest Coast (Golf)
Portimão Autódromo (Alpine A110)

New Zealand
West coast of the South Island (Corolla hatch lol)
Road to Milford sound (Corolla hatch)
Crown Range Road (Corolla hatch)
Queenstown to Glenorchy (Corolla hatch)
Takaka Hill Highway (Corolla hatch)
Mt. Cook Road (Corolla hatch)
Burkes Pass (Corolla hatch)
Arthur's Pass (Corolla hatch)

Australia
Great Ocean Road (Holden)
Black Spur (Holden)

After all of these, I think the best road I've ever driven (or at least, my favorite) was Takaka Hill Highway in New Zealand. Just a perfect stretch of pavement.

I still have a lot of ground to cover. These are on my list, but not yet completed:

Stelvio Pass / Italy
Furka Pass / Switzerland
Col du Torini / France
Millau Viaduct / France
Monaco street circuit / Monaco
Glossglockner / Austria
Nurburgring / Germany
Romance Road / Germany
Sa Calobra / Mallorca
Conor Pass / Ireland
Transfagarasan Highway / Romania
Denali Highway / Alaska
Tianmen Mountain Road / China
Ruta 40 / Argentina
White Rim Trail / Utah
San Juan Skyway / Colorado
Going-to-the-sun road / Montana
Sustenpass / Switzerland

Tracks:
Spa / Belgium
Silverstone / UK
Monza / Italy
Imola / Italy
Laguna Seca / USA
Circuit of the Americas / USA
Daytona / USA
Talladega / USA

So, that's me. I want to keep expanding this list, so I want to hear about all of the roads you love or dream about.

I've attached a few images of my travels.
Great post Michel,

I have been to Alps, Pyrenees and Pikos de Europa on my motorbike couple times.
Northern Alps are bit congested, not the best for cars (on motorbike also, even if I can overtake easily).
Less congested Alps are in sudden French part, below Briancon or du Vercos area:

117847838_10157637642334010_5548207415254279192_n.jpg21319130_10155022588994010_8616157462578015109_o.jpg

There is a road D902 going from Switzerland to Monaco, trough all famous mountain passes:
21272843_10155022585979010_6753735606623726943_o.jpg21272856_10155022586104010_7382002471357500418_o.jpg

For me most beautiful are dolomites in Italy, as they combine green areas with share rock faces.
117945652_10157637641714010_7239945503560721566_n.jpg 117650364_10157637640099010_6131508862535996934_n.jpg

and Susten/Furka pass in Switzerland:
117878958_10157637643449010_2107034573889531997_n.jpg 117951774_10157637643284010_3135813611635243515_n.jpg
For car fast ride I would add road N260 in Northern Spain, going from east to west Pyrenees.
Pikos the Europa in Norther Spain are also amazing, remote and detached form civilization.
285941078_10158887860984010_5345841744962389992_n.jpg

RENDERMAN

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Deal's Gap isn't the only spot with incredible roads in Appalachia. I know a few dozen others that are all the fun without any of the traffic. :cool:

View attachment 9657
There are millions in the US, but the Gap is the biggest Deal, 318 turns in 11 miles! where else in the world do you get that? plus, if you are irresponsible like my friend, you can always fly away like Perter Pan... o_Oo_O

2007 - WTD 2007 072.jpg

Last edited:

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There are millions in the US, but the Gap is the biggest Deal, 318 turns in 11 miles! where else in the world do you get that? plus, if you are irresponsible like my friend, you can always fly away like Perter Pan... o_Oo_O

View attachment 9660

Sorry about your buddy... that looks like it hurt.

I mean, I've been to Deal's Gap more than 25 times. The Dragon is a fantastic road, but in my opinion it's not even the best road in that specific area. Examples below. It's just unusual in that it hugs the edge of a National Park so it doesn't have any adjacent development or entrance/exits for other traffic.

That was really the original draw, before enforcement became huge there... since there aren't any intersecting roads or homes or any development along the full length, you could really rip a "lap" on the thing. It's no longer the place for that, in my opinion, due to its tourism popularity.

1665426845930.png

There are other places that are more remote, with less traffic, and equally entertaining terrain. Elsewhere in NC, and particularly in western VA and in WV.

Stuff like:
1665426989888.png

Last edited:

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Just set out from Boston en route to San Diego for the West Coast Lotus Meet.

I’ve driven an Exige across before, taking Route 66. This time an Elise belonging to a buddy, and I’ll be checking off Colorado’s Million Dollar Highway on the way.

I guess this means I need to find an Evora to drive across, so I can say I’ve done it in all 3 (and eventually the Emira).

View attachment 9568
How would you compare this Elise colour to Nimbus?

RENDERMAN

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Sorry about your buddy... that looks like it hurt.

I mean, I've been to Deal's Gap more than 25 times. The Dragon is a fantastic road, but in my opinion it's not even the best road in that specific area. Examples below. It's just unusual in that it hugs the edge of a National Park so it doesn't have any adjacent development or entrance/exits for other traffic.

That was really the original draw, before enforcement became huge there... since there aren't any intersecting roads or homes or any development along the full length, you could really rip a "lap" on the thing. It's no longer the place for that, in my opinion, due to its tourism popularity.

View attachment 9667

There are other places that are more remote, with less traffic, and equally entertaining terrain. Elsewhere in NC, and particularly in western VA and in WV.

Stuff like:
View attachment 9668
He was ejected from the car, a no no in an accident but actually saved him. No doubt, people's behavior, over crowding, and extreme regulations has made it difficult, so many people are going elsewhere, I spent 3 days with 8 members of the south Fl club and a total 300 Honda S2Ks from all over the US, it was a blast!! can't wait to do it with the Evora GT and Emira...

Last edited:

RENDERMAN

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
How would you compare this Elise colour to Nimbus?
Haven't seen it in person but from recent experience spraying my Evora, metallic composition in paint since they made the Elise is 100 times better and nicer, if you like silver go for it, I personally love Nimbus, very unique color! (not into silver cars).