An ode to roads.

Speedluvver

Reaction score
Plotting an itinerary in the Alps in a few weeks. Anyone here familiar enough with this region to identify any glaring omissions or roads that aren’t worth the trek? I’ve rented a Miata for 2 weeks for about €1200, I’m assuming that’s the most fun I’ll be able to find for the money.

Day 1: 4.5 hours / 285 km
Pick up MX-5 in Munich
Glossglockner

Day 2: 4 hours 179 km
Passo Tre Croci
Passo Gardena
Passo Sella
Passo Nigra

Day 3: 4 hours, 172 km
Jaufen pass
Timmelsjoch

Day 4: 4.5 hours, 229 km
Stelvio pass
San Marco pass
Stay near Splugen

Day 5: 5 hours, 305 km
San Bernardino pass
Gotthard pass
Furka pass
Grimsel pass
Susten pass

Day 6: 6 hours 414km
Klausenpass
Romantic Road to Augsburg

Day 7: 3.5 hours 365km
Stuttgart
Porsche Museum

Day 8
Porsche experience hockenheimring

Day 9: 2.5 hours 247 km
Nurburgring

Day 10: 3 hours / 384 km
Nurburgring to Wurzburg

Day 11 4.5 / 413 km
Romantic Road Wurzberg to Munich

Days 12 - 14
Monaco
Col de Torini
Gorges de Daluis

Days 14 -19
Majorca
So Calobra

Days 20 - 25
Lotus Driving Academy
Goodwood Revival
Wow - what a trip - you haven't missed out a lot to be honest - and I apologise - I said I would send routes and totally forgot.... you have however got most of the good ones in for sure... You might want to have a look at Passo de Stalle on the Austian/Italian border, Passo San Antonio not too far from Golssglockner. Also, the Gavia Pass (near Brecsia) - its quite narrow in places but the scenery is stunning - they also do great broth at the restaurant at the top

If you have never done Stelvio before - do it, but it will be busy and frustrating...

roundincircles

Reaction score
The Stelvio is like 38 'U' turns but has to be done once, it's a tick box exercise.

Most people go to their local Supermarket car park and do 38 U turns to save the bother.

The Offenpas from Stelvio top, via the Umbrail Pass, to Zernaz was considered the best road in Europe by Topgear. It is fast and flowing.

OP
GetawayDriving

GetawayDriving

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience renting cars at the Nurburgring? I see a bunch of companies offer fun stuff by the lap, but not sure which are best to deal with. Sadly no Lotus that I've found so far, but I expected a Porsche bias.

Porter

Reaction score
^^^ for real.... if nobody has clicked the link I just shared, it will change your life.

Algorithmic identification of all of the twistiest paved roads in the OSM-mapped world.

1660059017277.png

And it does this... for the whole world:

1660059167792.png

OP
GetawayDriving

GetawayDriving

Reaction score
^^^ for real.... if nobody has clicked the link I just shared, it will change your life.

Algorithmic identification of all of the twistiest paved roads in the OSM-mapped world.

View attachment 8013

And it does this... for the whole world:

View attachment 8014

This is great. When you first posted I was on mobile so couldn't fully appreciate. I had encountered this site before, but it was before the pandemic and before the update that reduces congestion and conflict zones. Much more useful now.

I've also used dangerousroads.org quite a bit, which is a more manual curation of roads. Click the interactive map for discovery...

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks great. The "winding roads" algorithm reminded me of Calimoto, a route planning and navigation app aimed at bikers, to find and share great twisty routes. I only heard of it a few months ago and have been using the free version - impressed so far.

Porter

Reaction score
Looks great. The "winding roads" algorithm reminded me of Calimoto, a route planning and navigation app aimed at bikers, to find and share great twisty routes. I only heard of it a few months ago and have been using the free version - impressed so far.

I tried Calimoto but it doesn't work so well for US roads (lack of content) or non-Apple devices (lack of usability/polish). Would probably be great for an iPhone user in EU/UK.

JXJ

Reaction score
Plotting an itinerary in the Alps in a few weeks. Anyone here familiar enough with this region to identify any glaring omissions or roads that aren’t worth the trek? I’ve rented a Miata for 2 weeks for about €1200, I’m assuming that’s the most fun I’ll be able to find for the money.

Day 1: 4.5 hours / 285 km
Pick up MX-5 in Munich
Glossglockner

Day 2: 4 hours 179 km
Passo Tre Croci
Passo Gardena
Passo Sella
Passo Nigra

Day 3: 4 hours, 172 km
Jaufen pass
Timmelsjoch

Day 4: 4.5 hours, 229 km
Stelvio pass
San Marco pass
Stay near Splugen

Day 5: 5 hours, 305 km
San Bernardino pass
Gotthard pass
Furka pass
Grimsel pass
Susten pass

Day 6: 6 hours 414km
Klausenpass
Romantic Road to Augsburg

Day 7: 3.5 hours 365km
Stuttgart
Porsche Museum

Day 8
Porsche experience hockenheimring

Day 9: 2.5 hours 247 km
Nurburgring

Day 10: 3 hours / 384 km
Nurburgring to Wurzburg

Day 11 4.5 / 413 km
Romantic Road Wurzberg to Munich

Days 12 - 14
Monaco
Col de Torini
Gorges de Daluis

Days 14 -19
Majorca
So Calobra

Days 20 - 25
Lotus Driving Academy
Goodwood Revival

The Red Rock Road (D2202) North of Nice, very good road, part of road trip I did a few years back in my Exige, happy days. Enjoy your adventure