ADAS revisited….kind of

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
You know, IMHO, I can think of few things more useless than rain sensing wipers/windshield. Who can’t tell when it’s raining enough to turn on the wipers for goodness sake. I would much prefer to have ADAS to enhance the daily driver experience, perhaps with an option being not to install them if those systems are not wanted (kind of like paying more for low salt wheat thins). Other trades folks would find preferable?

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The more I study the EMIRA, the more I see the old LOTUS of years ago.....sorry.

pricing is a disaster. LOTUS will get previous LOTUS owners but not many new owners that have never been with the brand at the price offered, too many other good competitive choices with Porsche, Corvette, Audi, the used market with real performance cars. .

THE CAR IS STUNNING, BUT, the horsepower figures at the MSRP price ( with poor dealer network, and unknown quality ) is a joke.

and getting to ADAS,..... who the hell needs radar cruise control on a sports car, like regular cruise is not good enough ?

Blind spot monitoring should be standard with the poor visibility out back, along with the back up cross traffic alerts.

IMO, they got so much wrong marketing this car.

klho001

Emira Fan
Reaction score
You know, IMHO, I can think of few things more useless than rain sensing wipers/windshield. Who can’t tell when it’s raining enough to turn on the wipers for goodness sake. I would much prefer to have ADAS to enhance the daily driver experience, perhaps with an option being not to install them if those systems are not wanted (kind of like paying more for low salt wheat thins). Other trades folks would find preferable?
With most things, context/use case is important. Where I live, rain sensing wipers is a god send. In the tropics where it can rain on any given day 365 days/yr, and when it does rain, it'll toggle betw "cats and dogs", pitter/patter, very light drizzle, and then EVEYTHING in between, and driving in long tunnels, all in the span of 30 min, well you get the idea of how many times your finger has to fiddle with the stalk instead of enjoying the drive ;) . Presently i have one car with the feature and one without. You know which one i prefer when the dark clouds come lol!!!
But you're right, when I was living in the Bay Area, that feature was mostly useless

OP
M

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
With most things, context/use case is important. Where I live, rain sensing wipers is a god send. In the tropics where it can rain on any given day 365 days/yr, and when it does rain, it'll toggle betw "cats and dogs", pitter/patter, very light drizzle, and then EVEYTHING in between, and driving in long tunnels, all in the span of 30 min, well you get the idea of how many times your finger has to fiddle with the stalk instead of enjoying the drive ;) . Presently i have one car with the feature and one without. You know which one i prefer when the dark clouds come lol!!!
But you're right, when I was living in the Bay Area, that feature was mostly useless
Fair enough. But again with the goal of expanding markets and appealing to as many buyers as possible, I think Lotus should design for the rule rather than the exception. It’s not that there isn’t value for some people in this or that doohickey, but rather that more people are likely to find value in being able to see rearward and into their blind spots than are worried about adjusting their wiper. Absolutely not devaluing the feature under specific circumstances, it’s just that they are uncommon. Offer it as an option, perhaps and give me driver assistance and heads up display for example. And just wait until one has to replace that fancy, low slung, high tech windshield. Oh my!

klho001

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Fair enough. But again with the goal of expanding markets and appealing to as many buyers as possible, I think Lotus should design for the rule rather than the exception. It’s not that there isn’t value for some people in this or that doohickey, but rather that more people are likely to find value in being able to see rearward and into their blind spots than are worried about adjusting their wiper. Absolutely not devaluing the feature under specific circumstances, it’s just that they are uncommon. Offer it as an option, perhaps and give me driver assistance and heads up display for example. And just wait until one has to replace that fancy, low slung, high tech windshield. Oh my!
Oh dont get me wrong, I want blind spot monitoring on Emira becos of the predicted limited rear/side visibility.
But comparing when to incld these features could be down to ease/cost of implementation etc. Rain sensors are mounted behind the windshield (not integrated with the windshield) just to detect light reflection so it's fairly cheap part and common place. The blind spot monitoring *maybe* requires some higher end chip I dont know. Bottom line if i could i want both.

Den

Emira Fan
Reaction score
IMO all these driver aids are for lazy or poor drivers who become to rely on them too much.
I don't need alerts stating I need to rest, I don't need wipers that turn themselves on/off as I know what rain looks like, I don't need adaptive cruise as my foot can do that perfectly well, I don't need an unreliable annoying light in my door mirror as I have eyes that can check the mirrors & look over my shoulder before pulling out, I have the ability to press a button on the key fob to unlock & lock the car, etc. etc. etc.
I want a gorgeous looking Lotus sports car with a manual gear box and drive it like it should be driven.
Just my opinion.

BlackMarlin12

Reaction score
What bothers me the most, isn't even the fact, that ADAS isn't available for the FE. For me it's the communication. Why have they not given any statement to the pre-orderers? I made a deposit and it would be nice if I would be informed about it and not have to read it in a forum.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So is it a hundred percent confirmed, that there won't be any ADAS features at all? Or is it just the Radar? I pre-ordered an Emira, but completely lost track...

DJW

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Lotus are positioning this car to Include people who want to use the car as a daily runner. I for one have insisted on adaptive cruise on my last 2 daily cars as makes for a much more relaxing drive on congested roads. Not much to ask of a £80K FE car.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Doesn’t answer my question, but I have the same opinion on that. It should have adaptive cruise control. But from what I’ve read, they decided to deliver FE car‘s without ACC (and without all the other „ADAS“ features they once praised) without even telling customers.

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I see in the news today they have released prices for Malaysia and on the spec sheets for those areas it clearly shows the V6 FE cars as having all the ADAS features e.g. Adaptive cruise control, anti-collision system, fatigue alert, road sign information, vehicle speed limiter, lane departure warning, rear cross-traffic alert and lane change assist

EM33RA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I see in the news today they have released prices for Malaysia and on the spec sheets for those areas it clearly shows the V6 FE cars as having all the ADAS features e.g. Adaptive cruise control, anti-collision system, fatigue alert, road sign information, vehicle speed limiter, lane departure warning, rear cross-traffic alert and lane change assist

Who knows anything anymore, Is the car even still being made 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣🤣🤣???

CanadianEmira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Do you live in Hawaii? :p