• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

A thank you to Lotus

G

Guest142

Throughout this year's long journey and all of its ups and downs. The thing that has stuck out to me which I think gets lost in all the comparisons, reviews, and hot takes on what the Emira is (or isnt) is this. Lotus Cars made an affordable exotic car. No automaker in the history of the world has ever done that. No car has ever looked as beautiful as the Emira, have that level of performance, and be priced equally.

Thank you Lotus. Huge thank you. Just some good old fashioned genuine gratitude for making this phenomenal car during some historically challenging times. I say again, thank you.

Delays be damned, I'm getting an Emira.

CheshireCat

Reaction score
Great sentiment.
For me anticipation of previous car deliveries has been a big part of the experience. Looking for a good example of a Porsche 928 and finding one. Having a 996 upgraded with GT3 suspension components and a bespoke repaint and waiting a mere 6 months for one of the first UK R35 GTRs in 2009.
It's all part of the experience and makes the arrival more special.
I can't wait- but I'm going to I guess.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Are you familiar with a sports car called "Corvette" ?
To be fair, I think there are a long line of even just UK sports cars that were far more affordable than the Emira and at the time, looked great. The Emira, in its obligatory FE form at 80k, is about 4 - 5 - 6 times the average cost of a "normal" persons Corsa or Fiesta. Hence, here I think we could include various Jaguars down the years, The E - type, the Austin Healey, MG A / B, TR 3A, TR 6. Then many Alfa's, Lancias.... and as you say, no doubt US cars, although they would generally be for US drivers, although everyone loves Bullet...and everyone loves a classic Mustang also, apart from the weight.
Anyway, a nice sentiment, but once again, I dont think the Emira has done anything the Esprit didnt do years before it.... the main difference being it should be far better built, when it is actually built, but with allllll the investment, we should expect this I think :)

netsinah

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

I sold my mid-engine 2020 C8 Corvette too soon to get funds to purchase the upcoming 2023 C8 Z06, not knowing at the time that GM would abandon Canada and reduce the Canadian C8 allocations by about 50% starting in the 2022 MY. The allocations that normally would have gone to Canada, went to Japan, Australia and (mostly) Europe, while the US allocations remained unchanged. It appears the Canadian allocations continue to dwindle even more, following the 2022 MY. For that reason and after shopping around I've now placed a deposit on the Emira and expect to be driving one long before I see a Corvette allocation. A sad day for a C8 fan, however GM will not doubt see more Canadian buyers like me turn elsewhere. I even test drove a low-mileage 2017 Porsche Turbo S, expecting to be blown-away by what many consider to be a supercar, however ++ surprisingly I found its rear engine weight/handling didn't appeal to me after the distinctive handling of a mid-engine sport car, which pointed me to the Emira. I know the Emira and Z06 are 2 different vehicles. The Emira will cost far less and one of its biggest advantages is the manual transmission available with the V6 model, for sport car fans like me who appreciate a stick. And as others have said, I find the Emira "look" to be fabulous and consider it superior to that of the mid-engine Corvette. So now I'm "chomping at the bit" to test-drive an Emira, when my dealer has one available. Nice to find this Emira Forum on the Web and I look forward to surfing same.

OP
G

Guest142

To be fair, I think there are a long line of even just UK sports cars that were far more affordable than the Emira and at the time, looked great. The Emira, in its obligatory FE form at 80k, is about 4 - 5 - 6 times the average cost of a "normal" persons Corsa or Fiesta. Hence, here I think we could include various Jaguars down the years, The E - type, the Austin Healey, MG A / B, TR 3A, TR 6. Then many Alfa's, Lancias.... and as you say, no doubt US cars, although they would generally be for US drivers, although everyone loves Bullet...and everyone loves a classic Mustang also, apart from the weight.
Anyway, a nice sentiment, but once again, I dont think the Emira has done anything the Esprit didnt do years before it.... the main difference being it should be far better built, when it is actually built, but with allllll the investment, we should expect this I think :)
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate a differing opinion especially one so well thought.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate a differing opinion especially one so well thought.
Ive been to your city, very nice...historic too.... . beautiful.
Thats the first time anyone has ever said any of my posts are well thought out.. :). usually quite the opposite 😩

OP
G

Guest142

Ive been to your city, very nice...historic too.... . beautiful.
Thats the first time anyone has ever said any of my posts are well thought out.. :). usually quite the opposite 😩
Haha. 😄 Yes, Charlotte is a very beautiful city. Very short drive to lakes, the mountains, and not too far from the Ocean. We love it. I plan on taking my Emira and driving the Blue Ridge Parkway next spring. Beautiful country views.

DPB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Haha. 😄 Yes, Charlotte is a very beautiful city. Very short drive to lakes, the mountains, and not too far from the Ocean. We love it. I plan on taking my Emira and driving the Blue Ridge Parkway next spring. Beautiful country views.
I hope to be joining you there late next summer/early fall!

DPB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That would be special. Looking forward to it. Yes.
I should also add that I agree with the sentiments of your initial post. I do think the Emira is something quite special. Is it the greatest car in the history of the world? Of course not. There probably is no such thing. But for me it seems to achieve an extroardinary balance of price point, performance, handling and supercar looks. I see it as a sports car in the true sense of the term, with the potential to stand among some of the greatest. I have been waiting a long time for a car to come along like this and I am fortunate to be in a position to actually get one. I won't be drag racing it or tearing up any race tracks, but I look forward to joining the ranks of Lotus owners and will drive and enjoy this amazing machine for many years to come.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
But...it's kind of like business people. Respectfully, Corvette is like an American business man/woman usually with a tacky looking tie, baggy shirt and suit that is usually two sizes to big, and shoes from Clarks. Emira is more like Italian business man/woman, classy tie, tailored shirt and suit and sharp shoes.

Doesn't mean that Americans are worse at doing business though.

OP
G

Guest142

I should also add that I agree with the sentiments of your initial post. I do think the Emira is something quite special. Is it the greatest car in the history of the world? Of course not. There probably is no such thing. But for me it seems to achieve an extroardinary balance of price point, performance, handling and supercar looks. I see it as a sports car in the true sense of the term, with the potential to stand among some of the greatest. I have been waiting a long time for a car to come along like this and I am fortunate to be in a position to actually get one. I won't be drag racing it or tearing up any race tracks, but I look forward to joining the ranks of Lotus owners and will drive and enjoy this amazing machine for many years to come.
This*
100%
Perfect.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
But...it's kind of like business people. Respectfully, Corvette is like an American business man/woman usually with a tacky looking tie, baggy shirt and suit that is usually two sizes to big, and shoes from Clarks. Emira is more like Italian business man/woman, classy tie, tailored shirt and suit and sharp shoes.

Doesn't mean that Americans are worse at doing business though.
italians are famously unreliable.. ahha

Lolub

Reaction score
Throughout this year's long journey and all of its ups and downs. The thing that has stuck out to me which I think gets lost in all the comparisons, reviews, and hot takes on what the Emira is (or isnt) is this. Lotus Cars made an affordable exotic car. No automaker in the history of the world has ever done that. No car has ever looked as beautiful as the Emira, have that level of performance, and be priced equally.

Thank you Lotus. Huge thank you. Just some good old fashioned genuine gratitude for making this phenomenal car during some historically challenging times. I say again, thank you.

Delays be damned, I'm getting an Emira.
I am definitely in love with the Emira, particularly with its looks. I completely share your gratitude towards Lotus, it's almost miraculous that they did this for us!

IMHO, I was equally in love with the Honda S2000 and MKIV Supra when they came out, so I bought both. In my view, they were the Emiras of their time.

I've only owned and loved Japanese cars, so yes I'm biased 😂

Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder, as with so many things in life 🤗