A mistake that could have been avoided

vision

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think the pictures of the Emira with the larger ride height are the actual production cars for the American market. Once the average 300lb American squeezes into the drivers side then I’m lead to believe the ride height will be 20-30mm lower……. But don’t quote me on that, or sue me 😜
Brilliant, best review all day!!

MCS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Can someone figure out how many mm per pound the car will drop with weights over 160lbs? I'm not going to want to mod it, so I'm just going to gain weight to make it look right when I'm driving it.
Won’t it lean to the side? You’ll need a fat mate as well

ZorenEmira

Reaction score
I'm fine with the grey roadshow car above... seen it in the flesh. I'm not fine with the latest round of preproduction cars floating around with three finger gap. Including the Melbourne Seneca car.
I think someone verified the registration of that car being a non production car or test mule by Lotus.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
There are no production cars yet. All the cars we've seen are prototypes, show cars, development cars or pre-production validation cars.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Can someone figure out how many mm per pound the car will drop with weights over 160lbs? I'm not going to want to mod it, so I'm just going to gain weight to make it look right when I'm driving it.

That would require Lotus to actually be capable of communicating a spring rate to their future customers.

From what I can tell in other Lotus forums -- most members will just tell you to not worry about it and that it's Lotus Suspension magic (tm).

ZorenEmira

Reaction score
There are no production cars yet. All the cars we've seen are prototypes, show cars, development cars or pre-production validation cars.
Yes I mean pre-production models or test mules. My Corvette is about 3 fingers gap to the fender. I think it’s a federal regulation to every country that they need to comply with. Aftermarket parts are available for sure.

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Im not sure if I had a spyder I would trade up or more likely down to an Emira. You have one of the best engines ever made in the spyder, way better than the Toyota, freeish revving to 8500/9000 and a fantastic sound and a great looking car, with plenty of space for luggage, reliable to boot. The only downside to the 718 spyder is the 6 year old interior, but otherwise I think its a better car and if it wasnt for the interior and for the car being "british" and looking great, Id have gone with a spyder.
Im no expert, but I think the car looks awful with hardly any gap between the wheels and the arches. I also think they sit inside a little too much and should be more in line with the edge, but I have yet to see the car in person so hard to judge.
However, I am 100% +ve the final car will look great and handle at least as well as the evora.... if not, it will not succeed ...
718 Spyder redline is 8000 and it will pull hard to the limiter though HP peaks at 7800. I know, I own one. I still haven’t decided whether I’ll keep it and the Emira but I’m leaning that way. For me it’s not about upgrading or downgrading, it’s about experiencing something different.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
718 Spyder redline is 8000 and it will pull hard to the limiter though HP peaks at 7800. I know, I own one. I still haven’t decided whether I’ll keep it and the Emira but I’m leaning that way. For me it’s not about upgrading or downgrading, it’s about experiencing something different.
Yes Ive driven a few also, just saying the Emira will not compare in that sense... but yes certainly a new toy, different experience and for the moment values should hold, but long term they wont, but the spyder will now hover around 90 for the foreseeable future..... As i said, I would have got one, but the interior is shamed by the current porsches so I got a backdated 911 instead, with a very dated interior haha

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Meh could be worse.

Just ask anyone who put a deposit on the 4WD V12 Jaguar XJ220...

TRUTH !!, hahaha

and what about the people who put a deposit on the Lotus EVJIA ...... has even one EVJIA been derived or collected (uk term for receipt of) as of yet ?

And that car was shown even before the EMIRA

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Yes Ive driven a few also, just saying the Emira will not compare in that sense... but yes certainly a new toy, different experience and for the moment values should hold, but long term they wont, but the spyder will now hover around 90 for the foreseeable future..... As i said, I would have got one, but the interior is shamed by the current porsches so I got a backdated 911 instead, with a very dated interior haha
I disagree. I think the long term values will definitely hold, for no other reason than it's not only the last ICE Lotus, but probably the last ICE sports car of any note. It's looks, price point, exclusivity and relative rarity will make it desirable, especially for the age 30+ generations who grew up in the ICE era.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
TRUTH !!, hahaha

and what about the people who put a deposit on the Lotus EVJIA ...... has even one EVJIA been derived or collected (uk term for receipt of) as of yet ?

And that car was shown even before the EMIRA
Correct, no customer Evija deliveries yet. But they start in July.

I assume they haven’t been held up waiting for black tailpipe finishers ;)

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I disagree. I think the long term values will definitely hold, for no other reason than it's not only the last ICE Lotus, but probably the last ICE sports car of any note. It's looks, price point, exclusivity and relative rarity will make it desirable, especially for the age 30+ generations who grew up in the ICE era.
i hope your right, but with 5000 a year and probably 60-70% of those UK cars.... I dont know.
I expect to see more of these after a year or two than 718s which is good for lotus, but....

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Correct, no customer Evija deliveries yet. But they start in July.

I assume they haven’t been held up waiting for black tailpipe finishers ;)
There's also the fact that literally EVERYTHING about the Evija is a first, every single thing. It's also capable of a stupidly high level of performance, so engineering quality has to be flawless. In addition, every car is a custom build, so there's no mass-producing a batch run of a certain spec. AND it's over $2mil, so I'm not surprised it might take longer to get all that perfected than an Emira.

Ironically though, customers paying over $2mil are probably more relaxed about it than Emira customers lol.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
i hope your right, but with 5000 a year and probably 60-70% of those UK cars.... I dont know.
I expect to see more of these after a year or two than 718s which is good for lotus, but....
Look at the prices for current Porsches and how long the wait list is, if you can even get on one. I believe Porsche is switching over to electric sooner than Lotus is, so what do you think that will do to the prices and demand for ICE Porsches? And there are a LOT more Porsches out there than there will ever be Emiras.

How many Emiras do you think will be in Spain?

As it does with Porsches, the Emira model (V6 or i4) will have an effect on pricing and desirability. For those that want speed more than anything else, the demand will be there for the i4 model, even though there will be more of those built than V6 ones. For those who want sound, and especially a manual, the V6 Emira is going to be the rarest bird of all. In 2021 Matt said they can only use the V6 for 5 years, so 2026 will be the last year you can buy a new one. We're already almost half-way through 2022, so we have about 3 1/2 years left of V6 production, whereas the i4 will be used until 2030.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Look at the prices for current Porsches and how long the wait list is, if you can even get on one. I believe Porsche is switching over to electric sooner than Lotus is, so what do you think that will do to the prices and demand for ICE Porsches? And there are a LOT more Porsches out there than there will ever be Emiras.

How many Emiras do you think will be in Spain?

As it does with Porsches, the Emira model (V6 or i4) will have an effect on pricing and desirability. For those that want speed more than anything else, the demand will be there for the i4 model, even though there will be more of those built than V6 ones. For those who want sound, and especially a manual, the V6 Emira is going to be the rarest bird of all. In 2021 Matt said they can only use the V6 for 5 years, so 2026 will be the last year you can buy a new one. We're already almost half-way through 2022, so we have about 3 1/2 years left of V6 production, whereas the i4 will be used until 2030.
All true, but with gas prices going sky high and with electric sports cars "maybe" going to be even better looking.. latest porsche mission car looks fantastic, I dont know. I had the last lotus Elise in Spain, the very last one registered and it was NOT easy to sell it. Spain is a very different market, you pay about 5% to transfer title when you buy a used car from an individual.
With parts shortages yes prices will be high, but that cant last for ever, but yes Porsche may take 2 years at least to get back to "standard" delivery times and that all helps Lotus.
I will be in a very strange situation where I will have 2 emiras and hence will be selling one, so for me it would be great to have high prices, it will help to pay the 20-25% higher price in Spain

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I don't know about Spain or Europe in general, but here in the U.S. politicians are floating the idea of starting to charge a mileage tax where you get taxed per mile you drive. This is because electric car owners don't pay gas tax since they don't use gas, and those taxes are what pay for the roads and infrastructure. So the honeymoon of it being cheaper to drive an electric car may not last for long.

Knowing the greed of politicians, I won't be at all surprised if it turns out that driving an electric car winds up being more expensive than an ICE car. That plus electric cars are more expensive to begin with.