• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

New Schmee Video

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sound, looks, drive, everything we're hearing confirms Lotus has nailed it

OP
JimH

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Good find and thanks for posting it up. Even more confused on which suspension choice to select but most definitely the Goodyear tyres for all round drivability.
Going by the way that went round Hethel on touring spec suspension and Goodyear tyres, it'll do for me for everyday road use!

GarrethN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
So, still no genuine updates from Lotus but they’re happy to let these Shmidiots do the demos For them.

I hope to god those aren’t the final infotainment screens, it looks dull as dishwater and the SatNav looks like it’s from the 1980s and really not remotely good enough for the here and now. monochrome? Really? That concerns me a lot because if Lotus are showing this to facetubers, they will be well aware it will be shown to the world. It doesn’t match a mid 2000’s Volvo system, who are the same group, let alone match its main rivals. Porsche must be smiling seeing this.

It’s only a few months before all this is put into production so to show it in what can only be described as an incredibly basic form (at best) is somewhat worrying. My good lady’s electric DS knocks that out of the park and it’s nowhere near £75-£80K. My 10yr old XJ makes this look like it’s from the dark ages. We need some serious updates as this is starting to look like more and more of a gamble.

Sorry if this sounds negative but I can’t remember anything positive coming out of Lotus since the launch !!

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I thought the design looked pretty good. It's the more modern minimalist look. One thing to keep in mind is that there will be a bezel around the cluster screen and the second screen will be floating by itself. Both of these changes the feeling of the screens.

Two-tone maps are pretty standard these days. Look at your Google maps, it's just a white road on gray background.

Overall, I think the UK can be tweaked a little more but it looks pretty good as is. It certainly fits with the character of the car.

CanadianEmira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
So, still no genuine updates from Lotus but they’re happy to let these Shmidiots do the demos For them.

I hope to god those aren’t the final infotainment screens, it looks dull as dishwater and the SatNav looks like it’s from the 1980s and really not remotely good enough for the here and now. monochrome? Really? That concerns me a lot because if Lotus are showing this to facetubers, they will be well aware it will be shown to the world. It doesn’t match a mid 2000’s Volvo system, who are the same group, let alone match its main rivals. Porsche must be smiling seeing this.

It’s only a few months before all this is put into production so to show it in what can only be described as an incredibly basic form (at best) is somewhat worrying. My good lady’s electric DS knocks that out of the park and it’s nowhere near £75-£80K. My 10yr old XJ makes this look like it’s from the dark ages. We need some serious updates as this is starting to look like more and more of a gamble.

Sorry if this sounds negative but I can’t remember anything positive coming out of Lotus since the launch !!
What are you smoking? Your 10 yr old XJ has G meters, lap time charts, graphs, full bluetooth connectivity, etc?

I was just demoing a 2021 BMW X5 earlier today and honestly its infotainment isn't too dissimilar to what's shown in this video.

Last edited:

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Interesting vid, thanks for posting. Fortunately Shmee himself isn't in it. He has a lot of strong competition, but the man is a top contender for the title of most irritating person on the internet :).

This has helped cement my choice of sports suspension. The touring car is still clearly very capable on track, but there looked to be a tad too much roll for my liking.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Interesting vid, thanks for posting. Fortunately Shmee himself isn't in it. He has a lot of strong competition, but the man is a top contender for the title of most irritating person on the internet :).

This has helped cement my choice of sports suspension. The touring car is still clearly very capable on track, but there looked to be a tad too much roll for my liking.
That was my takeway from the video too.

1500 GT

Reaction score
Same impression for me, just a bit too much body roll for my liking @22:08. My current spec is for sports suspension with the Goodyear tyres and I was all for changing my mind again back to Touring until I watched this. The fact that Dan states 'you can feel the roll angle on this car with the softer suspension' would suggest a noticeable difference on track between the two setups. Makes a stronger case again for driving one on the road before having to commit.

New to Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I think it also depends how much you want to use the car, for me it will be every day on some rubbish roads in town speed bumps all over the place. Then going to do some long awaited road trips so happy with touring spec. If I wanted the fastest thing about with lots of track days and race people to 60 mph I would wait for i4, dct, sport spec, alcantara strip lots of the comfy heavy things out. Job done and save some money but that's not what I want.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
And the test driver does say the sport is perfectly comfortable @20.29 on the road so whats not to like about the Sport suspension on goodyear tyres?
This is pretty much my thinking regarding Sport suspension, although I may go for Cup 2s. Initially I was concerned that Sport might be too stiff for road use, but the best advice seems to be that it is close to the Evora GT410 Sport. When I took one of those for a test drive I thought the ride quality wasn't far off my daily BMW F31 (Msport suspension, 19" wheels but not the horrible run flats). A lot depends on your intended use and where you live though. I am lucky enough to live in the Scottish Borders with miles of quiet, sinuous, generally reasonably surfaced roads on my doorstep. If I lived in nearby Edinburgh where the roads are pretty dire I would probably go for Touring.