• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Hi Team, look what I can buy for $63K! thoughts?

That review was written by an English major, not an enthusiast. Lists a negative and then brushes over it.

"There’s nothing to add weight or dull the experience." Oh really, then why do "M2 and M3/M4 have nearly identical curb weights"

The whole goal of having an M2 is to have a nimbler version of the M4. That's why they were released almost a decade ago, because the M3/4 were just getting too large and chunky!

"There’s a distinct gap in torque under 4000 rpm compared to the M3’s powerband, but it’s not so detrimental as to call it a fault."

Watch the ThrottleHouse video, where they put their foot on it in 4th gear and then tell me it's not detrimental to call it a fault. It absolutely is... they detuned the tuning/turbo on purpose and screwed it up.

"The electrically assisted steering is good, not great. [....] Feel is muted [...] it seems engineers consciously swapped outright performance for driver enjoyment."

How is muted steering wheel "good" or "driver enjoyment?"

I don't have the time to pick apart the whole article... but meh! Just another journo sort of talking out of both sides of his mouth: "This new car isn’t pretty, but it isn’t boring, either." Sure, you could say the same about the Pontiac Aztek. Not boring, at all :D

That review was written by an English major, not an enthusiast. Lists a negative and then brushes over it.

"There’s nothing to add weight or dull the experience." Oh really, then why do "M2 and M3/M4 have nearly identical curb weights"

The whole goal of having an M2 is to have a nimbler version of the M4. That's why they were released almost a decade ago, because the M3/4 were just getting too large and chunky!

"There’s a distinct gap in torque under 4000 rpm compared to the M3’s powerband, but it’s not so detrimental as to call it a fault."

Watch the ThrottleHouse video, where they put their foot on it in 4th gear and then tell me it's not detrimental to call it a fault. It absolutely is... they detuned the tuning/turbo on purpose and screwed it up.

"The electrically assisted steering is good, not great. [....] Feel is muted [...] it seems engineers consciously swapped outright performance for driver enjoyment."

How is muted steering wheel "good" or "driver enjoyment?"

I don't have the time to pick apart the whole article... but meh! Just another journo sort of talking out of both sides of his mouth: "This new car isn’t pretty, but it isn’t boring, either." Sure, you could say the same about the Pontiac Aztek. Not boring, at all :D
Ya know what I never do in my big turbo TT? Slam my foot on the gas pedal at low rpms. Instead, I grab some down paddle, THEN slam on the gas pedal.

Ya know what I never do in my big turbo TT? Slam my foot on the gas pedal at low rpms. Instead, I grab some down paddle, THEN slam on the gas pedal.
Which is probably why TH said the automatic works better. I think you missed the point, however. The turbo is laggy and thus peaky. That's not a good thing, even if you can downshift. In comparison the F87 maintains pretty flat torque from 2k RPM or so (and I can still easily feel the turbo lag there). The G87 must be really bad based on the video.

This car is really all about the motor. It’s a fantastic motor, especially if you have access to 93 octane US fuel and don’t care about your warranty, have restrictive emissions laws, and are fine with sending your DME in to get unlocked. You’re gonna be enjoying 600-620whp at that point on stock turbos.

Everything else in the car feels a bit of a downgrade. I’m not even that big a fan of the interior.

Which is probably why TH said the automatic works better. I think you missed the point, however. The turbo is laggy and thus peaky. That's not a good thing, even if you can downshift. In comparison the F87 maintains pretty flat torque from 2k RPM or so (and I can still easily feel the turbo lag there). The G87 must be really bad based on the video.
Flat torque curve from 2k? The s55 in the m2 comp only started flattening out at 3k rpm. Same as the rest of f8x.

I really LOVE throttle house but I thought that mashing the pedal like a hellcat was a little mean spirited. I NEVER drive my TT like that

I’d get the auto. I think it will be a fantastic GT car, my first priority for my next sled. Honestly if I hate it in person I’m leaning Golf R after they add back some buttons. Add 10k EQT parts and it’d be pretty punk rock

I really LOVE throttle house but I thought that mashing the pedal like a hellcat was a little mean spirited. I NEVER drive my TT like that
Yeah I don’t think anyone floors the pedal in a cruising gear from 2000rpm. Obviously you’ve not built much boost at that point. And none of that will matter in the automatic you plan on getting anyways. The kickdown switch in the last cm of pedal travel will tell the computers you want the lowest possible gear, it’ll do some maths and tell the transmission to make it so.

Just for the record, the DIN weight should be 1700kg, not 1625kg. Not that it really matters because its f**** heavy either way. And hideous on top (in my opinion).

I forget the purpose of this purchase, will this be a weekend car or DD?

DD with my wife’s 10 yo POS CX5 for backup. This will do 98% of our car duty prob 12k miles per year +

DD with my wife’s 10 yo POS CX5 for backup. This will do 98% of our car duty prob 12k miles per year +
Hey, the CX5 I believe is lighter than the M2! :ROFLMAO:

Honestly though. Get the M2 in grey. For some reason the black nostrils with the grey body all contrast much better than when the car is an actual color. Especially if you get the black roof.

I say get it because that engine under warranty is awesome!

EDIT to add pic!

BG M2.jpg

Here is a grey M3 and it looks awesome in this color. I wouldn't dare get it in any other color. The color totally neutralizes the nostril effect.

grey m3.jpeg

We’re ALL IN on the blue it’s my fav car color EVER the m3 and 4 are way too long, zero interest and I don’t hate the front anymore (did initially)

We’re ALL IN on the blue it’s my fav car color EVER the m3 and 4 are way too long, zero interest and I don’t hate the front anymore (did initially)

Congratulations, enjoy it. Now we can move this conversation to BimmerPost. See you there ;)