Why the Emira is more Daley Thompson than Linford Christie...

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
If you are my age or close to it you'll remember Daley Thompson, Britain's almost untouchable Decathlon Superhero. I say almost untouchable, his main rival, Jurgen Hingsen, was German; where have we heard that before?!

Linford Christie was all about straightline speed - that was what his event dictated he be best at if he wanted to win. There was, of course, some bend running in the 200m but that was never his forte - 100m was always his main event and he was damn good at it, in part due to his focus on both power and technique.

Daley had to find the optimum balance to win Decathlons - winning nearly every one he entered. This meant building enough strength (adding weight in the process) to score highly in the power events (shot, discus, javelin, 100m) without excessively compromising his scoring in the speed and endurance events - 400m, 110m hurdles, high jump, long jump, pole vault (the last 2 both require good take-off speed). Famously, his strategy allowed for relative poor performance in the 1500m, which he hated. He would have had to have been taller or leaner to be faster at this, the former clearly not possible and the latter would have impacted his scoring too heavily in the other events for the sake of improving one.

My point?

This is what Lotus have done with the Emira, my thoughts on this prompted by @frazzer's excellent post here: https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/emira-review-index-7th-june-2022.1442/post-37722

They have defined what the sweet-spot is as @frazzer says and hit it, balancing weight and cost, power and weight, size and usability, quality and cost, comfort and handling, usability and trackability. (I'm sure you'll suggest others!)

Daley Thompson and the Lotus Emira - two World-class British all rounders.

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If you are my age or close to it you'll remember Daley Thompson, Britain's almost untouchable Decathlon Superhero. I say almost untouchable, his main rival, Jurgen Hingsen, was German; where have we heard that before?!

Linford Christie was all about straightline speed - that was what his event dictated he be best at if he wanted to win. There was, of course, some bend running in the 200m but that was never his forte - 100m was always his main event and he was damn good at it, in part due to his focus on both power and technique.

Daley had to find the optimum balance to win Decathlons - winning nearly every one he entered. This meant building enough strength (adding weight in the process) to score highly in the power events (shot, discus, javelin, 100m) without excessively compromising his scoring in the speed and endurance events - 400m, 110m hurdles, high jump, long jump, pole vault (the last 2 both require good take-off speed). Famously, his strategy allowed for relative poor performance in the 1500m, which he hated. He would have had to have been taller or leaner to be faster at this, the former clearly not possible and the latter would have impacted his scoring too heavily in the other events for the sake of improving one.

My point?

This is what Lotus have done with the Emira, my thoughts on this prompted by @frazzer's excellent post here: https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/emira-review-index-7th-june-2022.1442/post-37722

They have defined what the sweet-spot is as @frazzer says and hit it, balancing weight and cost, power and weight, size and usability, quality and cost, comfort and handling, usability and trackability. (I'm sure you'll suggest others!)

Daley Thompson and the Lotus Emira - two World-class British all rounders.
I was at a track 'test' day when Porsche had just launched the 993 and Daley was there - I was first at the scene when he had buried one in the armco... luckily he was ok and had a great sense of humour about it.. not sure if Porsche did though.....

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I was at a track 'test' day when Porsche had just launched the 993 and Daley was there - I was first at the scene when he had buried one in the armco... luckily he was ok and had a great sense of humour about it.. not sure if Porsche did though.....
What a great story to be able to tell! In a slightly twisted way, it makes me just a little bit happy when those as gifted as Daley screw up like the rest of us....

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
What a great story to be able to tell! In a slightly twisted way, it makes me just a little bit happy when those as gifted as Daley screw up like the rest of us....
It was probably his competitive nature mind, trying to keep up with or beat Nigel Mansel 🤣

OP
eclat2emira

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
...and not forgetting the lucky Mr Thompson was one of the few selected by Porsche for 959 ownership...