• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

which car will hold its value more...i4 or manual v6 in US?

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Difficult to say. Depends on what future models arrive and how much better they are.

The I4 has more power headroom (making room for several power/model releases) whereas the V6 is near the power limit. Manuals are also rare in sports cars these days so that might help hold V6 manual prices longer term.

At some point the V6 will no longer be available (perhaps ~2 years) at which point they will become collector items whilst the I4 is still planned to be produced in parallel with the new fully electric Type 135 for a period of time.

0pirates0

Reaction score
Difficult to say. Depends on what future models arrive and how much better they are.

The I4 has more power headroom (making room for several power/model releases) whereas the V6 is near the power limit. Manuals are also rare in sports cars these days so that might help hold V6 manual prices longer term.

At some point the V6 will no longer be available (perhaps ~2 years) at which point they will become collector items whilst the I4 is still planned to be produced in parallel with the new fully electric Type 135 for a period of time.
if Lotus stops producing gasoline vehicles in 2027, emira's price will hike in the future

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Over the long term...first of final editions fetch higher prices.
In general: I expect both versions to depreciate, i4 more as V6 Manual more special on long term.
I also think i4 will see higher production numbers over longer period.

EMIRADILEMMA

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I think the one that may hold it value best would be a later build V6 manual. It will be a rarer car and will always appeal to a certain demographic, while being a later build will hopefully also mean less reliability issues.

Finbarqs

Reaction score
Was thinking about this, I've came to the conclusion that my Elise will one day surpass the Emira. Simply on the fact that they cannot make cars like the elise anymore, for it being super barebones, and "not safe". Not saying Emira's will tank, but probably fall into what it's actual market value will be 3-4 years down the line. Will it be more? Possibly. But it's still too early to see if it's truly problem free, or if someone just want a ferrari for a lower price. Looking at flippers actually having to sell the car lower than what they paid for it, also tells you that people are not picking it up for crazy mark ups....

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Depends on who's going to want them in the future; collectors, or drivers? How many young guys, late teens/early twenties are lusting for an Emira right now, but can't afford a new one? They'll be interested in the next 10-15 years as a sports car to drive. In that regard, the V6 with manual will be the premium car because of sound and what it represents. Collectors? Hard to tell. Depends on if it's a true collector, or a collector/investor who thinks it's going to go up in value.

Simply because of the way they look, Emiras will always be desirable. If the Type 135 looks like a mini-Evija, that may become more appealing to the higher-end affluent crowd (it's going to be above $100K) who want to be part of the electric scene, but nostalgia has proven to be a very strong market. I think the Emira will do well in that regard.

Dr.JDK

Emira Fan
Reaction score
eventually, the analog manual big engine cars will become like pure-bred horses- for show and as a sport. Other cars, maybe high-tech at the moment, will be like the digital watches in the 1980s. That said, if lotus really stops producing ICE cars after Emira, then it will be the last pure-bred horse.
AMG i4 lacks a good transmission, if you watch the reviews, clearly there are lags on up and downshift on top of turbo lags. My bet is on the V6 manual Emira, that is what I ordered.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Not sure why folks are so worried about holding value if they plan on actually using the car. This approach only perpetuates ADMs and the crazy market where old Porsches cost 100k+. It's a shame depreciation is such a driver of a sports car purchase nowadays, a rather non essential item that, in my mind, should not be a place to park one's critical net worth.

Dr.JDK

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Not sure why folks are so worried about holding value if they plan on actually using the car. This approach only perpetuates ADMs and the crazy market where old Porsches cost 100k+. It's a shame depreciation is such a driver of a sports car purchase nowadays, a rather non essential item that, in my mind, should not be a place to park one's critical net worth.
Cars have always been a collectible item and an alternative investment instrument. One can collect cars and drive/use them at the same time. Collectors can be drivers, drivers can also be collectors. I personally don't have a problem with old Porsches or whatever cars appreciating values. ADM on the other hand, is something I don't like but I understand. Buying future collectible cars is like bidding and betting their values are going up significantly, hence ADM. It's a capitalist world, money trumps loyalty, purchase history, VIP status, etc at dealers/in the car market.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Cars have always been a collectible item and an alternative investment instrument. One can collect cars and drive/use them at the same time. Collectors can be drivers, drivers can also be collectors. I personally don't have a problem with old Porsches or whatever cars appreciating values. ADM on the other hand, is something I don't like but I understand. Buying future collectible cars is like bidding and betting their values are going up significantly, hence ADM. It's a capitalist world, money trumps loyalty, purchase history, VIP status, etc at dealers/in the car market.
Not many collectible cars that hold value with more than 30k miles if BaT is an indication. I don't see much allocation to cars within institutional investors...

Dr.JDK

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Not many collectible cars that hold value with more than 30k miles if BaT is an indication. I don't see much allocation to cars within institutional investors...
Still trying to address your original point, can you invest in a car and use it at the same time. You are right that cars with more miles will decrease their value. On the other hand, if you don't plan on daily driving the Emira, 2k weekend miles a year is 15 years to your 30k mile threshold. In that scenario, with your condition, Emira can hold/appreciate its value in that use case.
FYI: https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevet...investments-in-the-past-year/?sh=10274b096eda

vantage

Reaction score
No one has a crystal ball (look at how many bad stock picks pundits make).

But I'd wager V6 MT. Just looking at the market beyond Lotus generally, MT cars are commanding more of a premium over their dual clutch or auto counterparts. The same is true of 6 cylinder vs. 4 cylinder models. For example, significantly older 981 Boxster/Cayman S with 6 cylinders are not that much cheaper than newer 718S 4-cylinder cars that are significantly faster.

Lot of variables and unknowns though, plus it can be hard to predict what people will latch onto. Sometimes the option that hardly anyone ordered becomes the expensive one later.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
My 2019 STI I bought used in 2020 with 14k miles hasn't lost much value based on recent sales I have seen. I have 50K on the car now and I have seen similar models with higher miles sell for just a little less than what I paid. Please don't mistake my post for me actually being an expert on this subject. :ROFLMAO:

EDIT: STI is the "regular guy" collectible car!

idleuser

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If Evora's are anything to go by, automatics aren't highly sought after. I've seen an automatic GT go on auction for 50k but didn't hit the reserve of 86k. A manual mid engine car that you can buy in 2023 will be extinct soon. Grab it while you still can.