Wheel alignment

3MIRA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
When I joined the SIDC Subaru Impreza Driver Club which was a UK car club, they had SIDC settings for wheel alignment. It made a dramatic difference to the handling of my car a 22b.

Does Lotus have cars leave the factory on conservative settings and do people change, if so how much benefit on say an Evora or Exige?

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The manual has specified alignment specs in the past, I’d expect them to do so again now. I’ve got to imagine that from factory it’s all a bit conservative and that adjustment without aftermarket shims and control arms is very limited. I remember reading most people with the factory eccentric bolts in the Evora can’t get more than -1 degrees of camber up front with the stock eccentric adjusters.

As for an hpde specific alignment — I doubt Lotus will release that you’ll have to copy what someone else here does or fine tune it yourself and buy a tire pyrometer to dial in a balanced alignment for your specific use case.

I’m sure I’ll be looking for way to get more camber up front as most of my track tires are happier closer to 3 degrees of negative camber.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
You would imagine with talk about understeer etc in reviews that the factory settings are conservative

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It's deliberate, so people who are new to high performance RWD mid-engined sportscars don't experience lift-off oversteer and end up in a hedge :)

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It's deliberate, so people who are new to high performance RWD mid-engined sportscars don't experience lift-off oversteer and end up in a hedge :)
Agreed, makes total sense.

I'm particularly very interested to see what sort of range the alignment has.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Natural selection I say 😉 Far too many folk on the road that can only go fast in a straight line (and even that is being kind) 😇😅

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Ha. Fair point.

I will never take the car out in the wet so I expect to always have it under control.

I did take off all the traction control on my 500HP C63 in the wet - that was fun. Not. Never doing that again.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I’ve done a few driver training sessions on skid pans and low grip surfaces. It’s very useful to understand how the car behaviours as you reach and go over the limit.

I decided to do that after I hit some black ice in my Elise and left the road, missed some trees, cleared a ditch and landed in a field. Amazingly, I didn’t injure myself and the car was repairable. Strong little cars, but something to avoid if possible.