What happens if I move provinces before delivery of my car?

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Since the delivery of my Emira is not going to happen any time soon, at least for over a year, just curious what happens if I move to a province that has no sales tax?
Any problem with having the car delivered to the other province?
I wonder how much heads up notice Lotus would need if I change my delivery address?
I guess I would pay for the car at delivery, therefore saving the sales tax?

LotusB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Since the delivery of my Emira is not going to happen any time soon, at least for over a year, just curious what happens if I move to a province that has no sales tax?
Any problem with having the car delivered to the other province?
I wonder how much heads up notice Lotus would need if I change my delivery address?
I guess I would pay for the car at delivery, therefore saving the sales tax?

The car is being delivered to the dealer, not to you. Once you understand that, the rest of the answers fall in line.

If you happen to move, make arrangements with the dealer to have it delivered for a fee (or pick it up yourself). Don't know how taxes work in Canada, but in the US you pay taxes in the state you register the vehicle, not where you pick it up.

p.rob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
2 options.

Either the dealer will only charge the federal tax to you and you'll pay the provincial tax whereever you plate it.
OR
the dealer will charge both taxes from te province where you buy and you'll have to fill forms and submit to the provincial gouvernment where you live so they can refund/ harmonize the taxes.

A few years ago I sold My Cayman S from Quebec to Ontario through the Porsche dealer and the dealer charged the federal tax and the buyer paid the provincial tax in Ontario when plating the car.

But you'll have to take delivery in the dealer where you are doing business. As I was stating in another thread, you are not doing business with Lotus, you are doing business with a dealer.