❔ QUESTION Weight Difference

mikeerhymes

Reaction score
Hi All,

Apologies in advance if it’s been covered already, I have had a look but can’t see it listed.

Has anyone seen weight increase figures from the base model to first edition? Interested to know how much difference there is with extra audio kit, electric seat adjust etc. Then how that differs between i4/V6?

Reading comments about the performance not living up to expectations, if there’s a ~5% weight increase for the FE, maybe that could explain it?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
i4 Base Edition with no options at 1405kg is lightest. V6 First Edition Auto with all options is 1458kg and heaviest.

These are EU DIN figures with whatever is the the standard configuration for that edition, with 90% fuel fill, no driver, and no luggage.

For identical specs, either FE or Base, the V6 car is about 30kg heavier than the i4 car.

20 kg of that difference is i4 + turbo + DCT + ancillaries + cooling kit versus V6 + SC + manual + ancillaries + cooling kit.

The other 10kg is because the i4 sits in an aluminium subframe, whereas the V6 is in a steel one.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I haven't seen anything published about it so far. Could be several different reasons.

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
In the Elise inside story video they showed how an aluminium subframe with the Rover K series engine cracked, which they initially reinforced, before changing to a steel one. Presumably they had the same issue with the Toyota V6.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
My guess would be they went with what they already had, rather than spend development money creating a new one. Even though the price point the car was developed for was £60k, that's MSRP; their actual cost per car is lower than that, so I imagine that was one of the cost decisions made during the development process.

Now that they know how the public has responded to the car, their performance division may come up with lighter weight components for the aftermarket. If the car sells well in China, aftermarket items will likely come from there as well.

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
V6 First Edition Auto with all options is 1458kg and heaviest.
Although the handbook says 1500kg so that adds confusion.

4493A6DC-98C7-4B7C-AF82-6442F15B4440.jpg

TomAce

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I made an astonishing weight distribution comparison, based on the data from the current Autobild Sportscars magazine (also available on readily). It seems as if Emira has more in common with the current 992 GT3 as we might think. At least weight distribution and overall weight are very similar.

Weight distribution is more on the 911 (40/60) side than on the 718/981 (45/55). Emira seems to have an even more rear-biased weight distribution than the GT3. That surprised me tbh.

weight distribution_1.PNG