V6 with the automatic transmission?

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have been wondering if anyone out there is interested in a V6 supercharged engine mated to the automatic transmission? I’ve never driven the automatic in the Evora, about which I’ve heard divergent opinions over the years. I’d be interested to hear people’s opinions. I recognize that most are leaning toward the V6 with the manual or the I4 with the DCT, and in fact I’ve not really heard any chatter about the relative merits or limitations of the auto. Anyone have an opinion one way or the other? Is it a dog? Does it have any redeeming qualities? As it is likely to be a more rare specification, any collectible advantages?

stefmaster

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have been wondering if anyone out there is interested in a V6 supercharged engine mated to the automatic transmission? I’ve never driven the automatic in the Evora, about which I’ve heard divergent opinions over the years. I’d be interested to hear people’s opinions. I recognize that most are leaning toward the V6 with the manual or the I4 with the DCT, and in fact I’ve not really heard any chatter about the relative merits or limitations of the auto. Anyone have an opinion one way or the other? Is it a dog? Does it have any redeeming qualities? As it is likely to be a more rare specification, any collectible advantages?
The auto in the Evora 400 that I test drove for a weekend was fantastic. Very responsive paddle shifters.

G

Guest142

Hey sup Mike-engel,

I am getting V6 Auto and there is a couple of reasons.
1. There are very few Lotus repair shops in my area and access to parts (like a clutch for example) would take far too long.
2. The automatic transmissions are easier to drive and less cumbersome. When I want to bang on the gears I can, when I dont...there's no worry.
3. The shifts are much quicker then I would ever be able to make them in auto. And I'm hoping availability is higher with the Automatic so I stand a chance of getting the car sooner hopefully.

I have owned multiple Audi cars (A5, S5 convertible, Q5) BMW cars (335i, 535i), Saab, & others...and its been some 20yrs since I've owned a manual transmission. Always told myself I'd get another manual but now I have the opportunity I'm sticking with automatic.. Funny how things work out.

D4speed

Reaction score
I am also leaning toward the V6 auto. For similar reasons. I initially told the dealer the dct but there is something about the V6 that I think I will like more. Any thoughts on the sounds from V6 auto vs dct? Sound is huge for me and I do not want to modify. If sound is better and horsepower is higher that’s enough to make me choose V6. Reliability is also a question but imagine the Toyota is reliable?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Lotus have had a lot of experience with the Toyota V6 and the associated auto (IPS). It was OK when first launched (hence some stories and opinions from back then) but has evolved and is now really rather good for a torque convertor. It'll happily handle stop-start town driving in full auto but then on back roads you can switch to paddle shifting. Or you can leave it in full auto and switch over to Sport, which will hold it in-gear longer as you accelerate. The changes are quick - not as fast as a DCT but quicker than many people can hustle along a manual. It'll blip nicely on downshifts too. With the V6 sound too, it's a good solution for those who don't like a manual or can't drive one. Reliability is Toyota backed and I've heard very few stories of problems with the auto Evora's gearbox.

If you get a chance to test drive or passenger in an IPS Evora make sure it's a more recent model with up to date software.

SilvesterZ

Reaction score
Evora IPS or Emira automatic transmission.........not for track use!
Dealers advice and my experiance.....
For track use DCT or manual.
This is the decision to make.

jxg

Reaction score
I'm going with the six/auto for practical reasons.
The twin turbo on the 4cylinder will generate lots of heat and I can't help but think it will hurt reliability and
the double clutch is very expensive to fix if it breaks.
I live in a city so the manual is a real pain and I don't expect to bring it on the track so I don't need to extract every inch of performance from this car.
Conclusion is 6 cylinder with basic automatic.

OP
M

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Very cogent. After listening to all these opinions I’m a bit more up in the air as to what I’ll do. I’m thinking color may end up being a really important determinant.