• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

V6 manual or I4 DCT?

EmiraFan

Reaction score
I’ve put down a deposit and waiting to receive the call to configure. I’m leaning heavily towards the AMG I4 with DCT but a tug in my heart says go for the V6 Manual. I’m not into track driving and want to enjoy regular touring style driving. Grew up driving stick shifts but have had automatics and PDKs lately. Would love to hear from others pondering the same dilemma.

Tommyboy1986

Emira Fan
Reaction score
My only dilemma is time , we will be looking at end of 2022 start of 2023 before getting a i4 I don’t think I can wait that long so going to have a go at a auto v6 instead 👌🏽

EM12AAM

Reaction score
I’ve put down a deposit and waiting to receive the call to configure. I’m leaning heavily towards the AMG I4 with DCT but a tug in my heart says go for the V6 Manual. I’m not into track driving and want to enjoy regular touring style driving. Grew up driving stick shifts but have had automatics and PDKs lately. Would love to hear from others pondering the same dilemma.
Having just the same dilemma. I am also leaning towards the i4 but I've never driven a DCT... and the visible gear linkage sure is pretty...

richbrown

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
My only dilemma is time , we will be looking at end of 2022 start of 2023 before getting a i4 I don’t think I can wait that long so going to have a go at a auto v6 instead 👌🏽
Likewise IPS V6 sounds a good option and reviews are positive

JAY

Reaction score
Initially I wanted 4 with dct. But now leaning towards 6 auto. I’m so torn I want first edition but not sure I want to wait till 2023. i have a Alfa 4c and maybe need a 6 cylinder for something different . Guess I will figure it out when the time comes to firm up order

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Initially I wanted 4 with dct. But now leaning towards 6 auto. I’m so torn I want first edition but not sure I want to wait till 2023. i have a Alfa 4c and maybe need a 6 cylinder for something different . Guess I will figure it out when the time comes to firm up order
I so wish the Alfa 4C had been made with a V6

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I have a daily as a manual so I get my fix. I wavered toward an Auto V6, but now I am back on V6 manual. The clincher for me is the position of that stick. When I watched the Jenson Button video with him shifting gears it just seems as though the stick is just right there. That seems like it's gonna be a lot fun. Hopefully my dealer with have the manual during the tour so I can confirm this! I know a lot of you may have had or have a stick like this but it just seems that this car, with the handling and the video game like placement of the stick will be too much fun. I like to shift a lot when I drive.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The stick position is higher than in a typical manual. The way the stick falls closer to your hand is more like a sequential shift on a race car or manual on some supercars. If you’ve driven an Esprit you might see the similarity.

Hufggfg

Reaction score
These conversations are fascinating to me, because I just can’t see why anyone would want the I4. From my perspective (and I totally understand we’re not all the same) everything about them is worse:

i4 - fewer cylinders is just a less interesting engine
Turbo - I’ve never enjoyed a modern turbo engine, just takes away some of the engagement of the car
DCT - again, removes engagement and fun
Less power - enough said

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The stick position is higher than in a typical manual. The way the stick falls closer to your hand is more like a sequential shift on a race car or manual on some supercars. If you’ve driven an Esprit you might see the similarity.
The stick in my Vantage sits quite high, not unlike this, the difference being with Aston pushing the engine so far back to achieve front mid-engined layout the stick is too far rearwards for comfortable use. This is worse for shorter drivers (I'm 5'8" so towards the shorter end of the scale) as the seat is then even further forward relative to the gearstick.

Daz

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I would like the V6 but budget is a problem for me , I’m edging towards the i4 and was hoping for the FE ,but on reading other posts the price is looking about £75K OTR. Looks like I will have to wait until spring’23 for the basic model and save hard 😕

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
These conversations are fascinating to me, because I just can’t see why anyone would want the I4. From my perspective (and I totally understand we’re not all the same) everything about them is worse:

Turbo - I’ve never enjoyed a modern turbo engine, just takes away some of the engagement of the car
Less power - enough said
I absolutely adore the lower rev powerband that a modern turbo has. Pulling up hills at highway speeds at 2k rpm without dropping gears and getting off a traffic light without waiting for high rpm to bring power is a joy. Going back to naturally aspirated is not even a possibility for me

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Ah, but the supercharged V6 also pulls enthusiastically from low revs right across the rev range. In the Evora It’ll pull away in 2nd and get to over 60mph before you hit the limiter. It’s a surprisingly linear power delivery for an S/C.

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Ah, but the supercharged V6 also pulls enthusiastically from low revs right across the rev range. In the Evora It’ll pull away in 2nd and get to over 60mph before you hit the limiter. It’s a surprisingly linear power delivery for an S/C.
Never driven a supercharged engine - was just responding to the diss of modern turbos which I find fantastic.
I travel a lot and sometimes I get a rental car with some big v8 and they are just garbage at low rpm.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Modern turbos, specifically Mercedes small 4 cylinder turbos, are amazing. The low end to mid band torque is very fat and there is no perceivable turbo lag. I've had one since 2016 and am on my third turbo Mercedes. I have no doubt that the M139 is going to be exceptionally enjoyable in the Emira. That said, this is likely my last gasoline new car purchase, so I've opted for the V6 with manual transmission.

GarrethN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I would like the V6 but budget is a problem for me , I’m edging towards the i4 and was hoping for the FE ,but on reading other posts the price is looking about £75K OTR. Looks like I will have to wait until spring’23 for the basic model and save hard 😕
It sounds like own build i4’s might have an even longer wait, on TLF people are saying the FEi4’s have now been put back to the start of 2023, so it’s fair to assume own specs will be even longer.

Last edited:

JMcP92

Reaction score

Less power - enough said
Kind of the same boat here, V6 manual is the only option and if I couldn't have it, I'd be out.

I love turbo engines, but I prefer older turbo engines, have a turbo rotary which is a hoot and makes all the stupid noises I could ever dream of. Modern turbo engines are very efficient, but less fun and silly. Isn't that what these kind of cars are all about?

I'm sure somebody will slap a big turbo and loud BOV on the i4 which would be fun, but ultimately the V6 manual is where it's at!

Hufggfg

Reaction score
I absolutely adore the lower rev powerband that a modern turbo has. Pulling up hills at highway speeds at 2k rpm without dropping gears and getting off a traffic light without waiting for high rpm to bring power is a joy. Going back to naturally aspirated is not even a possibility for me
Well we’re all different! That’s literally the opposite of what I enjoy. I really enjoy wringing the neck of an engine to get the best out of it. I actually prefer engines that are (almost) gutless at the bottom end, it’s just more fun to me if you actually have to work at it.

For the same reason, I find a old school turbo much more interesting again.

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It sounds like own build i4’s might have an even longer wait, on TLF people are saying the FEi4’s have now been put back to the start of 2023, so it’s fair to assume own specs will be even longer.
mixed messages tbh - a Lotus person told me late autumn for the first i4 cars