UK i4 Update

CraigO

Reaction score
Just thought I would post a short update. I have covered about 700 miles in the car now, and I have to say, I'm just so impressed with the car.
Whilst still running it in, Its certainly a quick car, with the low end torque really pushing the car with urgency. Just one tiny "fault" so far with the common SOS issue, but as I have no mobile signal at home, this is not a surprise, and actually its not been on now for a while.

On a drive back from my office on Friday, I got stuck in some terrible traffic on the M1. A full hour of stop start traffic, mostly just moving forward a car length and then waiting. I was a little worried at first but the car worked perfectly. No increase in temperatures at all, and the dual clutch gearbox worked perfectly. (I did drop it to N during longer waits)

The car is fantastic all round, and I'm so glad I waited for it, despite nearly giving up numerous times.

BTW, is anyone heading to Lotus in the Peaks on the 30th June? Its only a few miles from me.

Just thought I would post a short update. I have covered about 700 miles in the car now, and I have to say, I'm just so impressed with the car.
Whilst still running it in, Its certainly a quick car, with the low end torque really pushing the car with urgency. Just one tiny "fault" so far with the common SOS issue, but as I have no mobile signal at home, this is not a surprise, and actually its not been on now for a while.

On a drive back from my office on Friday, I got stuck in some terrible traffic on the M1. A full hour of stop start traffic, mostly just moving forward a car length and then waiting. I was a little worried at first but the car worked perfectly. No increase in temperatures at all, and the dual clutch gearbox worked perfectly. (I did drop it to N during longer waits)

The car is fantastic all round, and I'm so glad I waited for it, despite nearly giving up numerous times.

BTW, is anyone heading to Lotus in the Peaks on the 30th June? Its only a few miles from me.
What other cars have you driven that you can compare it to? Does it have any ADAS features?

Glad to hear you're enjoying the experience. I recently completed my running in so I've been gradually exploring the capabilities. However, the car provides a lot of satisfaction even without pushing on just in the way it's connected to the road.

Since my CEL after pickup, it's been plain sailing. I have decided to book an oil change for next week just to be extra careful. I was experiencing some creaking noises from the front when the car is warm. I haven't noticed this much lately though so it might have been something bedding in? I asked the dealership to look out for it when I'm in for the oil change.

I also had many doubts during the wait, especially when there were so many faults being reported on the V6's. Thankfully, for those who were prepared to wait it out, I think it was a benefit as Lotus seem to have ironed out most of the issues by the time the i4's began production.
Does it have any ADAS features
No. Adaptive cruise control would have been nice but I find most of those aids annoying. Also, speed limiting is coming to the UK so I'm happy that I got it before that becomes law.

What other cars have you driven that you can compare it to? Does it have any ADAS features?
No ADAS on UK cars currently. I think the only thing I would miss for that would be blind spot monitoring TBH.
Other "similar" cars I have driven, or owned would include AM Vantage, AM DB9, 350Z, 370Z, and a 992.

I'm going to do the 1K oil change too certainly. I'll get that booked soon, and I want a bit more PPF adding as well, especially on the rear wheel vents, as they are collecting small stones and gravel.

I want a bit more PPF adding as well,
Interesting. I had the front end and doors done on mine. Do you mean the side vents in front of the rear wheels? They'd be quite fiddly to PPF wouldn't they?

I’ve just today come back from our first road trip on along weekend in mid Wales and mine has been perfect. Just passed the 1000 miles and to date two small faults. Engine light was on when it came back from its full ppf at Topaz in Leeds but this went off of its own accord. Second fault from new has been that the plastic kick plate next to the accelerator has come adrift. Unfortunately it looks like that will require a new drivers side carpet as it’s glued to the carpet rather than being a separate part. I’ve temporarily fixed it with my own 3d printed bracket.

The car is great. Engine is a bit of a beast as it revs out and plenty of low down grunt. I’ve been in and out of sport mode which does sound a lot better but at motorway speeds touring its more relaxing ( and economical !) .I’d probably like some more exhaust noise in sport but it does make nice waste gate and exhaust pops on the overrun. I’ve got touring suspension and I think this is more than firm enough on U.K. roads next weekend we will be travelling g to Norfolk and that’s a bit a slog from Cheshire so we’ll see how much I like that.

Attachments

• IMG_7976.jpeg
    IMG_7976.jpeg
    782.9 KB · Views: 55
Nice update. Loving mine too, just about at 800 miles and definitely planning an oil and filter change at 1k (possibly doing it myself, so will get a look under the car at the same time).

One thing that does bug me slightly is the engine tappety sound in the mid-range, most prominent when cruising around 3k to 4k I would say - Do you guys notice that too?... Although I may just be slightly too sensitive to engine tapping noises as my track-prepped RX-8 has a noisy SSV that taps away all the time at idle and that annoys me!

Interesting. I had the front end and doors done on mine. Do you mean the side vents in front of the rear wheels? They'd be quite fiddly to PPF wouldn't they?
Its actually the vents in the rear bumper that you can see the wheel through. Its collecting stones from the gravel drive, and these are sitting in the bottom of the vent. I just don't want them to scratch up too badly.

Nice update. Loving mine too, just about at 800 miles and definitely planning an oil and filter change at 1k (possibly doing it myself, so will get a look under the car at the same time).

One thing that does bug me slightly is the engine tappety sound in the mid-range, most prominent when cruising around 3k to 4k I would say - Do you guys notice that too?... Although I may just be slightly too sensitive to engine tapping noises as my track-prepped RX-8 has a noisy SSV that taps away all the time at idle and that annoys me!
I think I read somewhere that its the injectors? and something known to be a feature of the engine. I do know what you mean though. All in all the engine is amazing. It pulls really hard when you want it too, but cruising on the motorway I'm seeing sometimes over 50 mpg. For one 10 mile average (at a steady 50 mph in roadworks) it did an indicated 70 mpg.

I seriously thought the fuel gauge was faulty as it hardly moved over a long trip I did recently. It was mostly motorway driving at a constant 70mph and the range barely went down from 420 miles. It's a surprise fringe benefit that I wasn't particularly expecting.

“ One thing that does bug me slightly is the engine tappety sound in the mid-range, most prominent when cruising around 3k to 4k I would say - Do you guys notice that too?...”

Yes me too, could be cam followers but more likely it’s fuel injection I think.

I'm nearly up to 1500 miles in mine now, absolutely loving it still! The Jekyll & Hyde nature of it is great, when you just need to get somewhere in it it handles it with ease with the bonus of great economy and totally stress free when stuck in traffic. Then when you want to do more interesting driving it just comes alive handling anything you throw at it with aplomb!

I'm fine with the car not having any of the ADAS stuff. ACC would definitely have been a nice addition for motorway slogs etc, but at the same time the car definitely looks better without the pod on the front!

Also, speed limiting is coming to the UK so I'm happy that I got it before that becomes law.

I'm definitely glad it doesn't have the "intelligent speed assist", though will be interesting to see how Lotus implement it, I've got it on my XC60 and Volvo have made it very easy to switch off, a quick button press on the steering wheel and the speed alerts are disabled until the ignition is next turned off. Hopefully Lotus will make it just as easy for those getting Emira's after the law comes in.

I think it says it all as to how rubbish the ISA system is when a company well known for pushing safety (Volvo) makes it so easy to disable the system, every car I've driving with speed limit recognition gets it wrong relatively often.

Is anyone having starting issues with the I4? It would be helpful if posters would state which model they have in all forums.

Is anyone having starting issues with the I4? It would be helpful if posters would state which model they have in all forums.
As far as I'm aware there haven't been any reports of starting issues with the i4, from what I've seen the starting issues are just related to the V6 engine.

Not experienced, nor heard of anyone else experiencing starting issues with the i4

Hi Eveyone,

First time posting. I have had a number of elises and exiges in the past and am looking at Emeras as well as Cayman GT4. For those of you with i4s how is the shifting in manual. All of the initial reviews (from August 23) mentioned they were sluggish but it would be good to hear from those who are driving the cars. How does it compare to PDK?

Thanks

Hi Eveyone,

First time posting. I have had a number of elises and exiges in the past and am looking at Emeras as well as Cayman GT4. For those of you with i4s how is the shifting in manual. All of the initial reviews (from August 23) mentioned they were sluggish but it would be good to hear from those who are driving the cars. How does it compare to PDK?

Thanks
I personally have no complaints about the manual shifting with the DCT, my use case is spirited road driving only - I'm not looking to track the car as things stand. I have never driven PDK so can't compare.

The dealers do now have i4 demonstrators so getting a test drive in one is probably going to be the best way for you to gauge how the manual operation feels for you.

Hi Eveyone,

Thanks
I'm still running mine in, so currently sticking to Tour mode. In that the Automatic shifts are very slick, and it always seems to know exactly what gear to be in Using the paddles for manual override again produces quick shifts with no discernible lag. I'm sure it will feel even quicker in Sport or Track. No complaints at all with the gearbox, or any aspect of the car at all.