• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

❓ QUESTION UK Car - Driving in EU

nelly111s

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Do I need to do anything to the headlights to drive on the right hand side of the road in a right hand drive car? Or are they OK becasue LED ones work differently?

Do I need to do anything to the headlights to drive on the right hand side of the road in a right hand drive car? Or are they OK because LED ones work differently?
Nothing needs to be (or can be) done regarding headlights - the LED beam pattern is flat enough. You do need a UK Sticker now (NOT GB any more) if not already part of your number plate and some other bits :

Nothing needs to be (or can be) done regarding headlights - the LED beam pattern is flat enough. You do need a UK Sticker now (NOT GB any more) if not already part of your number plate and some other bits :

Thanks Jim

The UK sticker situation puzzles me, as everything you read says you need a UK sticker on the car, and indeed there is the potential for a fine of something like £120, however I see plenty of British cars on YouTube driving in Europe without any UK identification present (sticker/numberplate), for example Harry's European tour in his Emira, Shmee's various trips to Europe, random British cars on Nürburgring touristenfahrten videos etc.

I wonder if the sticker is one of those things that should be done but isn't really enforced unless you get unlucky with a particularly conscientious police officer, or whether some countries are more risky than others for getting away with it. Of course the sensible thing is to just go with a sticker to be on the safe side!

The UK sticker situation puzzles me, as everything you read says you need a UK sticker on the car, and indeed there is the potential for a fine of something like £120, however I see plenty of British cars on YouTube driving in Europe without any UK identification present (sticker/numberplate), for example Harry's European tour in his Emira, Shmee's various trips to Europe, random British cars on Nürburgring touristenfahrten videos etc.

I wonder if the sticker is one of those things that should be done but isn't really enforced unless you get unlucky with a particularly conscientious police officer, or whether some countries are more risky than others for getting away with it. Of course the sensible thing is to just go with a sticker to be on the safe side!
Having just been to Ypres Lotus day I can confirm that only about half the UK cars on Le Shuttle actually had said correct sticker/number plate designator…….. For the sake of a few quid why take the risk though……

Last edited:
Having just been to Ypres Lotus day I can confirm that only about half the UK cars on Le Shuttle actually had said correct sticker/number plate designator…….. For the sake of a few quid why take the risk though……
It's probably a mix of reasons why people don't, some may just not think about it, some may forget and some may just not want the sticker on the car. I have to say I would find it tempting to risk not having the sticker on the car if taking my car to Europe as it isn't exactly a wonderful addition to the car looks wise, but then again...

I think my boss/copilot/wife will ensure we have a sticker!
that might also be the case for me!

This style of plates (registration number for illustration only!) are legal right across Europe apart from Spain and Malta who, for some bizarre reason, insist on the separate sticker. I suspect something around reverting to old rules post-Brexit that were never updated. I have a 5-digit number so was also able to order a short (but legal) front plate too - a short rear wouldn't have looked right in the full-sizes recess. They look much better than a sticker.....

1716629338018.png