U.S. Ordering and Allocation Thoughts - What are you hearing?

SloAlfa

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I thought I would start a thread on the ordering process etc related to the U.S. only as it seems each country is doing it a bit different. Here is what I am hearing or have heard from the two dealers I have talked with.

"facts" as I have heard so far.
1. Each Dealer will have an allocation of Emira's base on a few things, I have heard two answers.
(A) Allocations will be based on overall dealership performance, including sales, service, and parts as well as number of Emira deposits held?
(B) Allocations will be based on Evora sales performance?

2. Each Dealer will get a set number of allocations (certain number of V6 Autos, V6 Manual, etc). The two dealers I have talked with are asking the customer preference ahead of time and that is the "list" the customer is on. So a dealer may take 150 pre-orders but depending on the configuration you want, you may be on a different list.

3. Dealers seem to be a bit different on deposit amounts and allocation order amounts. Most are at $2500 to order and the two dealers I have spoke with are different on the second "deposit". one was $5K and another was 10% of the total MSRP amount minus the $2500 deposit.

4. Both Dealers seem to think Allocations will be handed out sometime in January so depending on the list you are on (configuration), you may have a decent idea on the month you will get called for the second deposit sometime after that.

5. Demand for the V6 Manual seems to be 65% of the orders, 4cyl Auto is about 20% and V6 Autos are the balance of the demand. (not sure if this is right??)

Anyway, as I was searching for answers, these are the answers that I have gotten. Sorry if these were covered somewhere else, just thought I would share.

I would be curious if everyone is hearing the same as above or if you are hearing anything different.

SemiF19

Reaction score
Great info. That sounds about right based on discussions I've had with my salesperson at Boardwalk Lotus in Redwood City. What I am not aware of is the extra $ beyond the deposit, but that makes sense once allocations are given and they are actually going to order cars. My only concern is I haven't seen the car in person. I'm 99.99% sure that I'll love it as much as I think I do, but that is the only thing that even remotely gives me pause. I'm on the list for a V6 manual. My salesperson feels very confident I'll get a car, but he stops short of a guarantee because he doesn't know exact allocation #s yet. I appreciate the honesty from him. Based on my own experience it seems your points are spot on.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi everyone! I thought I would start a thread on the ordering process etc related to the U.S. only as it seems each country is doing it a bit different. Here is what I am hearing or have heard from the two dealers I have talked with.

"facts" as I have heard so far.
1. Each Dealer will have an allocation of Emira's base on a few things, I have heard two answers.
(A) Allocations will be based on overall dealership performance, including sales, service, and parts as well as number of Emira deposits held?
(B) Allocations will be based on Evora sales performance?

2. Each Dealer will get a set number of allocations (certain number of V6 Autos, V6 Manual, etc). The two dealers I have talked with are asking the customer preference ahead of time and that is the "list" the customer is on. So a dealer may take 150 pre-orders but depending on the configuration you want, you may be on a different list.

3. Dealers seem to be a bit different on deposit amounts and allocation order amounts. Most are at $2500 to order and the two dealers I have spoke with are different on the second "deposit". one was $5K and another was 10% of the total MSRP amount minus the $2500 deposit.

4. Both Dealers seem to think Allocations will be handed out sometime in January so depending on the list you are on (configuration), you may have a decent idea on the month you will get called for the second deposit sometime after that.

5. Demand for the V6 Manual seems to be 65% of the orders, 4cyl Auto is about 20% and V6 Autos are the balance of the demand. (not sure if this is right??)

Anyway, as I was searching for answers, these are the answers that I have gotten. Sorry if these were covered somewhere else, just thought I would share.

I would be curious if everyone is hearing the same as above or if you are hearing anything different.
It's interesting/frustrating that The Community must crowd-source this Info versus an official Depositor procedural notification or website FAQ.
I thought the Las Vegas Dealer meeting would have unleased all manner of enthusiast updates.
Maybe the mystery is adding to the allure of the Emira. Oh, the stories we'll have to tell!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Sadly, although we thought new Lotus would tackle this, this is the old Lotus way of doing things. With the added factor of reducing the information provided to dealers :(

EM33RA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Sadly, although we thought new Lotus would tackle this, this is the old Lotus way of doing things. With the added factor of reducing the information provided to dealers :(
Totally agree, you can talk all the talk about being a global car brand with new system, procedures, protocols and on and on… To be honest it’s getting boring seeing Matt and crew talk all the fluffy stuff and deliver not much at all.

Matt seems to have caught the Tesla disease by working there in taking peoples money and giving them not much in return by way of information and product delays I.e cyber truck and roadster….

Anyway let’s hope they deliver cars in like with deposits as I’d hate to have a right hand build car which I purchased in May 2021 prior to any such reveal and have car delivered late 2022… Or maybe even worse

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I heard dealer allocations are based on previous sales volume. I was also told that my dealer is the largest in the North East (Lotus of North Jersey). I put my deposit down the day of the Goodwood reveal and was told me and a buddy are in the mid 20s. We both want V6 manuals.

We were intially sold "Spring 2022" for delivery, then "July 2022," and now it's sounding like "October 2022" (according to some other sources on these forums). If I have to wait until next fall, I'm going to cancel my FE build slot and order a color I actually want and hope some of the initial bugs have been worked out. It'll also give me time to see how the Emira plays out with journalists and early retail buyers. I'll scoop up a Cayman sometime this winter to entertain me for the '22 sports car season.

OP
S

SloAlfa

Reaction score
I heard dealer allocations are based on previous sales volume. I was also told that my dealer is the largest in the North East (Lotus of North Jersey). I put my deposit down the day of the Goodwood reveal and was told me and a buddy are in the mid 20s. We both want V6 manuals.

We were intially sold "Spring 2022" for delivery, then "July 2022," and now it's sounding like "October 2022" (according to some other sources on these forums). If I have to wait until next fall, I'm going to cancel my FE build slot and order a color I actually want and hope some of the initial bugs have been worked out. It'll also give me time to see how the Emira plays out with journalists and early retail buyers. I'll scoop up a Cayman sometime this winter to entertain me for the '22 sports car season.
I think every dealer is the largest dealer in their respective area according to them. Ha. Guess we will see… I am also looking at a cayman or 718 boxster to fill the void while I’m waiting. I’m not expecting my Emira until 2023, anything before that will be a surprise.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I think every dealer is the largest dealer in their respective area according to them. Ha. Guess we will see… I am also looking at a cayman or 718 boxster to fill the void while I’m waiting. I’m not expecting my Emira until 2023, anything before that will be a surprise.

This is not a good time to be impatient with all the global stuff going on. Lotus is trying to make almost 10 times the amount of cars in 1 year than they have been making in each of the last few years. This is a massive scaling operation. I put my deposit down in August. My dealer pretty much told me 2023 before I will see the Emira. So I will be surprised too if I see it in 2022. I enjoy being with a company that is on the move.

OP
S

SloAlfa

Reaction score
This is not a good time to be impatient with all the global stuff going on. Lotus is trying to make almost 10 times the amount of cars in 1 year than they have been making in each of the last few years. This is a massive scaling operation. I put my deposit down in August. My dealer pretty much told me 2023 before I will see the Emira. So I will be surprised too if I see it in 2022. I enjoy being with a company that is on the move.
Very true! You cannot even get current production cars (trucks etc.) these days or you are paying way above sticker. Look at the Bronco and others recently introduced. No hurry here, I would rather make sure the car is right if im dropping near $100K on the car. Excitement should not be confused with impatience. Frankly and selfishly, I hope more get impatient and cancel so I move up the list. ;)

JKP

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Very true! You cannot even get current production cars (trucks etc.) these days or you are paying way above sticker. Look at the Bronco and others recently introduced. No hurry here, I would rather make sure the car is right if im dropping near $100K on the car. Excitement should not be confused with impatience. Frankly and selfishly, I hope more get impatient and cancel so I move up the list. ;)
I was thinking something similar. Several months ago, I was cranky with the FE price of $94k, but having placed my deposit some time ago with an MSRP agreement from the dealer, I'm feeling a lot more comfortable given you can't get any car for less than MSRP today and have to wait for everything you might want anyway. Strange times we are living in, and how your luck can turn on a dime.

Sheldon

Reaction score
I’m in LA and there’s really only one dealer over here for Lotus. I put down a refundable $5k deposit a few weeks ago. The sales person said that I could expect the car Q1//2 2023. That timetable was fine with me. The person said (rightly) that it is better to underpromise and overdeliver. He also said that they would have an event Q1 2022 where I and other people can test drive the car.

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Good info. Good thing I'm a patient guy because after my initial deposit, I don't expect to hear squat from my Lotus dealer for a long WHILE. I'm not expecting delivery of my Emira until Q1 2023.

I think we're all going to have to just sit tight and enjoy what we currently have until then.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

Here's an update I received this morning directly from Lotus:

update.jpg

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

View attachment 1760
Dude. Do you expect us to believe this is real? Alexander? If that’s your real name!

With the skills some of these guys have on here to build their own renders you honestly expect us to believe this is real?

Oh wait. I just read it. Yup. It’s real.
See I thought it was already 2022…

You’d get me to believe it more if it said 2023! ;)

@Eagle7 can you work up a better letter for Lotus that gets us excited please? ;)

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

View attachment 1760
I just can't believe the US Relationship manager has more updated info for Europe than our dealers1
I just hope this is not true for Europe, as all the info we had for months until now was Europe, 1-2 months after first uk deliveries. Maybe @TomE can doublecheck for us with his insight.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I just can't believe the US Relationship manager has more updated info for Europe than our dealers1
I just hope this is not true for Europe, as all the info we had for months until now was Europe, 1-2 months after first uk deliveries. Maybe @TomE can doublecheck for us with his insight.
I think the key word in that Message was 'projected.' If 2nd round calls are still occurring and 1st haven't begun in US then there's scant hard numbers to postulate anything meaningful, eh?

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Vl3x's letter coincides with what my dealer said they were told at Vegas.
But ya.. I feel there may be more delays. I was told emissions is what's holding them up right now.

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think the key word in that Message was 'projected.' If 2nd round calls are still occurring and 1st haven't begun in US then there's scant hard numbers to postulate anything meaningful, eh?
I meant for Europe. What would be the reason for saying only now, 6 months after UK? When until now we were expecting 2 months delay after the first Uk deliveries.
And if so, why don't we get that message from European dealers, and we receive it instead from US representative thanks to a member of this forum?
I just hope it is just that the US Lotus rep has put Europe in the same basket as US by mistake.

EM33RA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I meant for Europe. What would be the reason for saying only now, 6 months after UK? When until now we were expecting 2 months delay after the first Uk deliveries.
And if so, why don't we get that message from European dealers, and we receive it instead from US representative thanks to a member of this forum?
I just hope it is just that the US Lotus rep has put Europe in the same basket as US by mistake.
I stick by what the lotus website says and everything states still on track. My dealer is the best as they say nothing unless it’s 100% correct. Better that way to lessen confusion.

mr_joshua

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Like others who've posted, I'm expected an actual 2023 delivery. With "first" deliveries in the US Fall of 2022 per @VL3X letter, I see the bulk of deliveries being later. Keep in mind that "Fall" is through the third week of December. So they could start delivering Dec. 15th 2022 and still technically be in "the Fall". Any way you slice it.. the majority of FE's in the US are likely winter/spring 2023.

In the US, we have to deal with dealers. Dealers have a specific job - keep us warm and interested. They're salesmen. I don't think dealers will purposely mislead but they will certainly massage details to present the rosiest picture possible to keep us interested (and more importantly, deposits locked in).

Everyone should sit back and relax. Save some cash. Build that extra garage.