Tires for everyday driving - Lots of miles

I ran AS4 when I had a Model 3 Performance and I thought they were great. And that car weighted like 4,000+ lbs with lots of torque. Plenty of grip and very good in the wet and snow.
 
I have to change tires, and one question I had was what anyone thought about going from 295/30/R20 on the rear tires to 265/35/R20. There's barely a diameter change, and the width is about 10% thinner which may help tune it to be a easy amount more oversteery for the street and improve comfort just a bit. I do prefer more oversteer character, and hopefully it shouldn't be too much so?

I did a lot of similar research and am deciding to switch to the Kumho Ecsta Sport S. Seems like the new Kumhos knocked it out of the park in tests, and the Goodyears are pretty old, same with the Michelin PS4S.

For the original poster's question of best for everyday comfort, I believe the Michelin Primacy 5 surprisingly fits the stock wheel size. They should be the comfiest tire, but I decided against it since I didn't want the sidewall softness to potentially compromise the steering feel or turn in.
 
Anyone have any thoughts on trusting Costco to do the tire install?

They have the Michelin - Pilot Sport All Season 4 for under $1,500.00 installed with free roadside asst.

Thoughts on those tires and trusting Costco to do the install?

Ryan G
I had Michelin 4s tires installed on my BMW M240i wheels. I brought the wheels to them, off the car, as I had a winter setup. They did a great job installing the tires. No scratches, and they ran true on the car. I did watch them installing on another Lexus sports car, which they were careful and used a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts. I wouldn't hesitate to take my current M240i to them. The lotus, I would probably bring the wheels off the car. Just don't want to take that chance at any tire shop.
 
After my latest visit to the dealer(AC Fix) They informed me I have 4mm left on the rears, so need to start looking at what is out there currently to replace the existing with
Lots of fast road, no track, a bit of city and motorway driving. Needs to be all year tyre, I just cant be bothered to change then for seasons and I live in the south on England, so the variance isnt that great anyway

Suggestions welcome
 
After my latest visit to the dealer(AC Fix) They informed me I have 4mm left on the rears, so need to start looking at what is out there currently to replace the existing with
Lots of fast road, no track, a bit of city and motorway driving. Needs to be all year tyre, I just cant be bothered to change then for seasons and I live in the south on England, so the variance isnt that great anyway

Suggestions welcome
I have a set of barely worn Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 tyres – 295/30 R20 101V for sale. 7mm thread left. These are winter tyres so not what you probably need - but a nice excuse to tour Scandinavia (or the very top of the Alps?).

4mm means there's a fair few miles left on your tyres though - should last you out the summer at least.
 
Last edited:
I just cant be bothered to change then for seasons
By all means this is not a car for all-seasons, really
Get a set of Goodyears Eagle F1 SuperSport LTS, the factory option for your use-case and take on @geoffbland's offer for the PA4s.

The F1s last me about 30.000km, including 3 light track days. For street use the perfect tyre for the car imo.
The PA4s also perform great in the right winter conditions. I sold them long before they were done, since I'm not driving in the winter anymore, but they had like 90% life left when I sold them.

A few bucks to get them changed and stored and you're good to go with proper tyres
 
I have a set of barely worn Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 tyres – 295/30 R20 101V for sale. 7mm thread left. These are winter tyres so not what you probably need - but a nice excuse to tour Scandinavia (or the very top of the Alps?).

4mm means there's a fair few miles left on your tyres though - should last you out the summer at least.
I'd actually be interested in those, if I was still considering Scandinavia. My original to go there has needed to be put on hold for at least a year, maybe more.
 
By all means this is not a car for all-seasons, really
Get a set of Goodyears Eagle F1 SuperSport LTS, the factory option for your use-case and take on @geoffbland's offer for the PA4s.

The F1s last me about 30.000km, including 3 light track days. For street use the perfect tyre for the car imo.
The PA4s also perform great in the right winter conditions. I sold them long before they were done, since I'm not driving in the winter anymore, but they had like 90% life left when I sold them.

A few bucks to get them changed and stored and you're good to go with proper tyres
Oh I drive all year, but the winter in the south of England is not much of a winter e.g. Last winter, no snow, frost 3 or 4 nights and thats pretty much it. Rain is still an issue, but I just slow down for that
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top