Thruxton Circuit Emira test drive

PaulMc

Reaction score
I recently drove the Emira V6 at Thruxton under the supervision of Rob Barf 1st class coach and racing driver.

I had driven the Emira previously at Eastleigh but in heavy traffic and never got to stretch its legs. I currently have an Exige 350 sport so have experience of this engine and wasn't expecting the Emira to perform as well due to the extra 400 kg over the Exige. I was pleasantly surprised by not only the performance +50bhp but its stability on track. Its a very effective track car and was so impressed I changed my Emira order from AMG i4 back to the V6.

I would thoroughly recommend anyone not sure if to or which model to buy to book in at Thruxton and try it for yourself. Rob Barf was involved with the people developing the car so knows a lot more than any other source i've found.I'd previously driven a cayman aroung the circuit which is technically excellent but the Emira was just more fun and felt easily as quick. It felt quicker than my Exige around the same track too. I'm sure the i4 will be at least as quick around the circuit but I was told by a reliable source that due to the restraints of cooling don't be under any illusion you can go straight out and map it to 500bhp as in the A class as it cannot manage the extra heat produced.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I recently drove the Emira V6 at Thruxton under the supervision of Rob Barf 1st class coach and racing driver.

I had driven the Emira previously at Eastleigh but in heavy traffic and never got to stretch its legs. I currently have an Exige 350 sport so have experience of this engine and wasn't expecting the Emira to perform as well due to the extra 400 kg over the Exige. I was pleasantly surprised by not only the performance +50bhp but its stability on track. Its a very effective track car and was so impressed I changed my Emira order from AMG i4 back to the V6.

I would thoroughly recommend anyone not sure if to or which model to buy to book in at Thruxton and try it for yourself. Rob Barf was involved with the people developing the car so knows a lot more than any other source i've found.I'd previously driven a cayman aroung the circuit which is technically excellent but the Emira was just more fun and felt easily as quick. It felt quicker than my Exige around the same track too. I'm sure the i4 will be at least as quick around the circuit but I was told by a reliable source that due to the restraints of cooling don't be under any illusion you can go straight out and map it to 500bhp as in the A class as it cannot manage the extra heat produced.
Interesting and encouraging. I4 fans point to lighter weight, faster DCT and tuning potential. Sure to add to the allure.
However many places have emmision regulations regarding original configuration which put inspection on a pass/fail basis. How's that going to work?
We're waiting for the Federal certification in the US due to some hiccup (involving FE cars sitting aside from July on awaiting some compliance modification) .
Drama seems to be included in each configuration.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Interesting and encouraging. I4 fans point to lighter weight, faster DCT and tuning potential. Sure to add to the allure.
However many places have emmision regulations regarding original configuration which put inspection on a pass/fail basis. How's that going to work?
We're waiting for the Federal certification in the US due to some hiccup (involving FE cars sitting aside from July on awaiting some compliance modification) .
Drama seems to be included in each configuration.

Are they waiting for compliance modification, or have they already had the modification at the factory and are just waiting for back-logged re-certification?

kbhoz

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Thanks Paul, good feedback as I am also coming from my current Exige 350s and I was worried there would be a "noticeable" difference in power. The math suggests it should be a few tenths slower but I have an auto transmission and getting another auto on the Emira (yes I enjoy it tremendously) and I am not too sure what ratios are in the box. I am told its on the assembly line this month so hopefully on the road here in Australia in June. If its close to Evora 410 performace that will be a good result.

likeakidonchristmaseve

Reaction score

450hp will do. Surely the heat wouldnt be so much of an issue if you are not ragging it flat out round a track for hours on end?