This is an amazing video to watch (Full factory build of a custom bronze metallic GT3)

OP
NicolasB

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Hey, I know the owner of that car. Leh is an incredible driver... if you haven't see it yet, it's worth it to take a moment:
That dude is nuts! What an intense drive that must have been.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
All this.... just to build a car. It isn't for building a rocket and lander to go to the Moon or Mars or something, it's just for a car. The amount of investment in money, time, planning, and putting together that entire system is just astonishing. The fact that we get to buy these products for what they cost is pretty amazing actually, considering what it costs to put all that together to make one.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Hey, I know the owner of that car. Leh is an incredible driver... if you haven't see it yet, it's worth it to take a moment:
Good God. I can't imagine driving that track 24 hours in the dry, much less in the rain! Watching him constantly fighting with snap wheel corrections pretty much everywhere.... wow. When the video came to an end, I realized I hadn't been breathing, just watching with headphones on lol. The pucker factor for that drive must have been off the scale.

r1lee

Reaction score
All this.... just to build a car. It isn't for building a rocket and lander to go to the Moon or Mars or something, it's just for a car. The amount of investment in money, time, planning, and putting together that entire system is just astonishing. The fact that we get to buy these products for what they cost is pretty amazing actually, considering what it costs to put all that together to make one.

Not sure what you mean, but margins on the 911 is 50+%.

I would like to buy them at a much lower profit for the manufacturer.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean, but margins on the 911 is 50+%.

I would like to buy them at a much lower profit for the manufacturer.
Do you know how much money was invested in creating that production facility, staffing it and running it? All that money has to be spent up front, before a single car is produced and sold. Do you have billions to get somebody to build a car like that for you and sell it to you for $100k or whatever it cost? I think it's pretty remarkable to get that kind of precision and quality for what they cost.

r1lee

Reaction score
Do you know how much money was invested in creating that production facility, staffing it and running it? All that money has to be spent up front, before a single car is produced and sold. Do you have billions to get somebody to build a car like that for you and sell it to you for $100k or whatever it cost? I think it's pretty remarkable to get that kind of precision and quality for what they cost.

You can literally say that about every single item ever made, it is not specific to porsche. They are one of the most profitable car manufacture if not the most. I'd gladly prefer they drop their margins a little :) but i do not feel the same way you do in regards that we should be glad to throw them our hard earned money and feel grateful for it.

Please do not misunderstand that it's not a knock against your comment. I apologize in advance if I'm not coming across the way I'm typing it.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
You can literally say that about every single item ever made, it is not specific to porsche. They are one of the most profitable car manufacture if not the most. I'd gladly prefer they drop their margins a little :) but i do not feel the same way you do in regards that we should be glad to throw them our hard earned money and feel grateful for it.

Please do not misunderstand that it's not a knock against your comment. I apologize in advance if I'm not coming across the way I'm typing it.
Next time you fly. Consider each item was independently invented. Each piece. Now imagine all the engineering and expense that went into all of that. Then we can fly for less than $99… Nuts.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

Actually you can't really say that about everything. Did you watch the video? The transport system, the sheer number of robotic units, the cost to run that plant must be quite a chunk of change.

It's not just about being grateful just because they're making a car. Look at what goes into making these cars, including fit and finish. They are so much more sophisticated than anything in the past. The engines alone would have cost a fortune 50 years ago, and they wouldn't have been the same quality. Look at the quality of the interiors, the design, fit, finish, stitching, etc. I don't think even Rolls Royce had interiors like that back then.

I don't know, maybe you aren't impressed by all that, but I certainly am.

r1lee

Reaction score
Next time you fly. Consider each item was independently invented. Each piece. Now imagine all the engineering and expense that went into all of that. Then we can fly for less than $99… Nuts.
yes, $99 i 100% agree. Carriers are on the breaking point of losing money every year and that market is fairly competitive.

Porsche is nowhere close to losing money every year and we are talking about a $200,000 (Canadian) GT3. That's a big difference. Forks are awesome to, they are $.50 and you dont' have to touch your food.

r1lee

Reaction score
Actually you can't really say that about everything. Did you watch the video? The transport system, the sheer number of robotic units, the cost to run that plant must be quite a chunk of change.

It's not just about being grateful just because they're making a car. Look at what goes into making these cars, including fit and finish. They are so much more sophisticated than anything in the past. The engines alone would have cost a fortune 50 years ago, and they wouldn't have been the same quality. Look at the quality of the interiors, the design, fit, finish, stitching, etc. I don't think even Rolls Royce had interiors like that back then.

I don't know, maybe you aren't impressed by all that, but I certainly am.

i am definitely impress, but for the price the car is listed at, it's not what i would call "astonishing" "just take my money" sort of way, but then again, as you can probably tell, i'm not a huge porsche fan.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
yes, $99 i 100% agree. Carriers are on the breaking point of losing money every year and that market is fairly competitive.

Porsche is nowhere close to losing money every year and we are talking about a $200,000 (Canadian) GT3. That's a big difference. Forks are awesome to, they are $.50 and you dont' have to touch your food.
Not talking business economics. Government funds airlines…

Just talking about thoughts on invention and user costs.

Imagine all of your phone contacts with you. In a big barn. With every piece of a plane all laying out.
Would you and that group be able to assemble and fly the plane?

Now go back to nothing man made. Just dirt and nature. Make a plane…

So for $200k US. To buy all of that. (Replace plane with Porsche) - it’s a deal! :)

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Not talking business economics. Government funds airlines…

Just talking about thoughts on invention and user costs.

Imagine all of your phone contacts with you. In a big barn. With every piece of a plane all laying out.
Would you and that group be able to assemble and fly the plane?

Now go back to nothing man made. Just dirt and nature. Make a plane…

So for $200k US. To buy all of that. (Replace plane with Porsche) - it’s a deal! :)
Go beyond that. Make a plane or Porsche from piles of the raw materials. The amount of talent, genius and ingenuity that's behind our modern technology age is astounding when you really think about it.

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Wow! The skill, race craft and car control that one must have is truly epic. The Nurburgring is bad enough in the wet in daylight, but to attack it at night as this driver did is on a another level! (y)

A time of just over 9 mins for a lap in these conditions, at night, is absolutely nuts!!!

Here is the extended cut, whic hinclude practice and qualifying (during daylight hours and in the dry):

Just amazing to watch the machines and people working in concert to make such an amazing machine! Quite fascinating to watch.
Superb! (y)